Whistle and Chocked Rev at Idle

ELHOCKEY

Reaction score
Visit site
I Just bought a 2004 FZ6 with 14000 miles, was running fine for test ride and the first few rides that I took total about 100 miles. I think this might just be down to bad fuel since it is the tank that I bought the bike with but the whistling noise is what bothers me. yesterday I went to ride and there was a choked feeling at Idle almost as if it was missing on one cylinder, if I revved the bike up as soon as the revs came back down the engine would cut out but would always start back up and there was a constant noise almost like the whining from when you first turn the key from off to on and everything is warming up.

Other than bad gas anyone have any insight? maybe an air leak?

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
what RPM is the bike idling at?
i believe the general rpm of everyone here is around ~1400 rpms maybe a tad lower....and has the tps sensor been done on it? I'm not sure about the 2004's but I know for sure the 2005's needed it.

ELHOCKEY

Reaction score
Visit site
I think It's Idling something close to that number I can check when I get home. I'm not sure if the Throttle sensor has been changed or not, I might just bring it in for a general maintenance checkpoint also, and have them check for air leak/ change spark plugs/ check valve timing.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
what RPM is the bike idling at?
i believe the general rpm of everyone here is around ~1400 rpms maybe a tad lower....and has the tps sensor been done on it? I'm not sure about the 2004's but I know for sure the 2005's needed it.
2004 were effected by the TPS.
If he is getting the constant prime from the fuel pump the fuel filter may need a clean.
Sounds like a fuel issue?

Nelly

ELHOCKEY

Reaction score
Visit site
I found out the bike is was idling around 1050 RPM I Adjusted it to around 1350. put some fuel injector cleaner and dry-gas in the tank and filled up the gas tank with 91 and the problem has stopped for now. I'll get the TPS taken care of and replace the fuel filter

So... Can Anyone tell me where the fuel filter is?:D

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
It's inside the fuel pump housing and cannot be replaced by itself, pretty ****ty design but seafoam is your best friend

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If your throttle is pretty smooth, your ECU is not throwing a code, your gas mileage is decent then your TPS is probably okay. Especially now that you put some Seafoam and gas dryer with new fuel and the problem seems to have cleared. You can take your serial number to a dealer and they may be able to tell you if the TPS was replaced under the recall. I don't know if they still honer the recall.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If your throttle is pretty smooth, your ECU is not throwing a code, your gas mileage is decent then your TPS is probably okay. Especially now that you put some Seafoam and gas dryer with new fuel and the problem seems to have cleared. You can take your serial number to a dealer and they may be able to tell you if the TPS was replaced under the recall. I don't know if they still honer the recall.
TPS should still be honoured as it was a safety recall. Yamaha will stand by it.

Nelly

ELHOCKEY

Reaction score
Visit site
OK so the fuel filter is inside the pump assembly I've read into some other threads and found out it's a pain in the A** to deal with and costs about $600 can I get in there and replace just the filter out of the pump assy or does it come integrated into the pump? if I can get a filter for $10 sounds a lot better than $600 or the 09fz6R pump Assy which is $360. maybe if I can get the old one out once I'll hard line the pump and move the filter somewhere inline that is easier to get to. will seafoam help clean the fuel filter?

Last edited:

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
The whistle (whine?) is most likely the fuel pump. That'll never go away. It kind of has to be there. :BLAA:

Do NOT move the fuel filter. You want it at the pickup of the pump, otherwise you risk damaging the pump if some crud gets picked up. what's the inside of your tank look like? Chances are that you just old/bad gas, and it needed some new stuff and a bump in the idle to make it happy. Run a couple tanks through with Sea Foam added, and see if that makes things happier.

ELHOCKEY

Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds good, this is my first bike so I'm not used to the tempermental behaviors and normal/intermittent sounds that they all have lol. it was a lot of work buying the bike/registering/title/insurance/trailering home. I'm probably just paranoid about the new baby.

where is the correct vacuum line to use seafoam on these? its simple in a car but I don't know what hoses are what yet on the bike. might be a good idea for a good clean after 15k

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds good, this is my first bike so I'm not used to the tempermental behaviors and normal/intermittent sounds that they all have lol. it was a lot of work buying the bike/registering/title/insurance/trailering home. I'm probably just paranoid about the new baby.

where is the correct vacuum line to use seafoam on these? its simple in a car but I don't know what hoses are what yet on the bike. might be a good idea for a good clean after 15k

Just put it in the gas, man. You're over thinking this, and worrying too much.

I would, however, suggest changing the oil before riding too much more. It's good practice to do it when you buy a used bike.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
OK so the fuel filter is inside the pump assembly I've read into some other threads and found out it's a pain in the A** to deal with and costs about $600 can I get in there and replace just the filter out of the pump assy or does it come integrated into the pump? if I can get a filter for $10 sounds a lot better than $600 or the 09fz6R pump Assy which is $360. maybe if I can get the old one out once I'll hard line the pump and move the filter somewhere inline that is easier to get to. will seafoam help clean the fuel filter?

Unfortunately it's all made into a one piece unit and cannot be replaced by itself. I have herd of people removing the pump and pretty much taking it apart as far as it would go to try and clean the filter but it is a whole lot of work for not much gain unless it is completely stopped up. I would try to run a few tanks of fuel through with seafoam and see if that helps, as others have said. Also it would be a good idea if you don't plan on draining your tank to try and get any trash out to not run it all the way down to empty. If there is any trash in there and you run it close to empty it has a lot greater chance of sucking that trash into the filter, that's if there is any stuff in there that doesn't belong to begin with.