Which side is the H7 on?

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Sitting on the bike, do all versions of the FZ6 with a fairing have the H7 bulb in the bike's left lamp housing?

Is that reversed in countries that drive on the left side of the road?

Scorphonic

No Man is an Ireland.
Reaction score
Visit site
Dont believe so, I think they are all on the left.

You're from the USA and drive on the "right hand side", i'm from Ireland have drive on the "left hand side". My H7 is on the left and H4 is on the right.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Dont believe so, I think they are all on the left.

You're from the USA and drive on the "right hand side", i'm from Ireland have drive on the "left hand side". My H7 is on the left and H4 is on the right.

Thanks.... I'm trying to figure out if there is a difference in the head light assembly. I know there was some concern a while back with someone from the US who brought an FZ6 to the UK (from Denmark? USAF?) that had to change the headlight assembly to meet MOT. If the bulbs are on the same sides with both versions, what does the MOT have to complain about?

Seems to me, then the only issue is the aim of the 'dipped' beam. Should be down and to the left in countries driving on the 'wrong' :D side vice down and to the right in right hand drive countries.... Seems that would be adjustable with the left/right adjusters on the housing.

Now that I have the H4 element lit for the dual low mod, I am exploring the issue of focus. The H4 light pattern is pretty bad, compared to the H7.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
H7 12v 55W (left side) and H4 12v 55w (right side).

I believe that's pretty standard.

Thanks, Boneman. This is what I am looking at.... (old used junk bulbs I have sitting around)

The H7 on the left in this image has a shorter spacing between the base plate and the center of the element (red line). I referenced this photo to the low beam elements..... Laid up side by side, an H4 bulb's low beam element is 'forward' of the H7 by 1/4". Base plae is mounted to the bulb body further 'back'. 1.375" (green lines) compared to 1.125" (blue lines)

If the reflector is the same geometric shape (just 'flipped'-- easy to do in CAD, with the bulb mounting point being an identical distance back from the focal point) the H4 low pattern will be more diffuse.

I know folks have modified H4 bulbs to fit the H7 (H7/H4)socket on the left.... I don't know if the pattern of light stays just as diffused, or not. The process involves trimming away part of the H4 base, to fit the smaller size H7 opening in the left reflector housing. That would move the low beam element 'back' relative to an H4 standard bulb, roughly 1/4"......

I don't want to go that route, if I reduce the effectiveness of the OEM low beam. If I can improve on the pattern made by the OEM H4, by shimming the H4 bulb 1/4"....... that may sharpen up the light from the right low beam.

Do you know if anyone has tried that?

H7H4compare_smaller.jpg

Senior

My brother is Junior
Reaction score
Visit site
UK FZ6 2006, sat on bike: H7-Left, H4-Right

Have a look at the attached diagram.

This shows the correct headlight aim for motorcycles in the UK when on dipped beam. Having done the bd43's dual dipped headlight mod I now have a "kick up" on the right side as well.

This is leading me to believe that the reflectors must be different in different markets.

Anyway, as I'm due my first MOT next month, I'm probably going to disconnect the right side dipped beam of the H4 to save any issue

MOT UK car and vehicle MOT information equipment car servicing parts and spares - headlamp aim

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
UK FZ6 2006, sat on bike: H7-Left, H4-Right

Have a look at the attached diagram.

This shows the correct headlight aim for motorcycles in the UK when on dipped beam. Having done the bd43's dual dipped headlight mod I now have a "kick up" on the right side as well.

This is leading me to believe that the reflectors must be different in different markets.

Anyway, as I'm due my first MOT next month, I'm probably going to disconnect the right side dipped beam of the H4 to save any issue

MOT UK car and vehicle MOT information equipment car servicing parts and spares - headlamp aim

I'm less convinced than I used to be, concerning the reflectors' shape with respect to market. If you only have the OEM H7 on the rider's left turned on, your beam probably doesn't have any 'kick up' at all, right?

Looking at the light pattern from my US '05, with just the H7 illuminated, the beam's pattern is sharp and focused, without appericabole 'kick up' on either (Left or Right) side.

When I illuminate the H4's Lo, I do see some kick up, to the right (as would be acceptable in right hand drive countries) from the H4's light pattern..... I am convinced most of that is due to the unfocused beam that is coming from the reflector. It's nowhere near as 'tight' as the beam from the H7. Instead of a central bright patch about the size of my hand on the wall at ~3 meters, the much fuzzier bright patch is almost 3 times wider than that. The 'flare' is making the kick up to the right.

I'd love to know what your MOT people use to define the central beam width. In EMC work, the half power points are the defined 'edges' of that sort of thing.

The beam's spread is taken into account in the US.... HI beam is referenced to the centerline of the headlamp.

Dipped, the upper edge of the main beam is aligned with the projected centerline of the headlamp, and the vertical edge of the beam is offset so it aligns with the vertical center of the headlamp.

This is a rather crude MS Paint representation of what I am trying to describe:
aimpoint.jpg

What I see, with the H4 Lo illuminated would look more like the thin circle I've added:

aimpoint_H4_FZ6.jpg

Drinky

the Dutchguy
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
eh when I'm sitting on the bike, so the lights are infront of me (duhh lol) the LEFT light is H4 (with high/low beam (always on after bd43 mod) and the right side is the H7 (always on)

Senior

My brother is Junior
Reaction score
Visit site
Found some more info; It looks like the NON-UK FZ6 (and driving on the "right" side) Fazer does have the H4 on the left and H7 on the right . . . . :)

The attached parts diagram is from here: 2005 Yamaha FZ6STC FZ6 OEM Parts, 2005 Yamaha FZ6STC FZ6 OEM Motorcycle Parts - BikeBandit.com but I'm trying to find a UK version of this diagram . . . :confused:

From this page click on the "fits machine" and you'll see it fits all FZ6 Fazers
Motorcycle Parts, Motorcycle Accessories by BikeBandit.com :rolleyes:

Also the picture of the lovely black fazer on the homepage has the single dipped beam (H7) on the right. (as far as I can make out this photo hasn't been flipped . . . )
http://600riders.com/images/welcomefz6.jpg :eek:

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Found some more info; It looks like the NON-UK FZ6 (and driving on the "right" side) Fazer does have the H4 on the left and H7 on the right . . . . :)

The attached parts diagram is from here: 2005 Yamaha FZ6STC FZ6 OEM Parts, 2005 Yamaha FZ6STC FZ6 OEM Motorcycle Parts - BikeBandit.com but I'm trying to find a UK version of this diagram . . . :confused:

From this page click on the "fits machine" and you'll see it fits all FZ6 Fazers
Motorcycle Parts, Motorcycle Accessories by BikeBandit.com :rolleyes:

Also the picture of the lovely black fazer on the homepage has the single dipped beam (H7) on the right. (as far as I can make out this photo hasn't been flipped . . . )
http://600riders.com/images/welcomefz6.jpg :eek:

This is a picture of me, on my 2005 FZ6 ST(C).... I assume the C refers to it being a California model. Bought it in Oregon -- I'm relatively certain it's a US model. Clearly, as you sit on the bike, the left bulb is lit. That is the location of the H7 on this bike. I have since added the wiring and connector to illumintate the (as I sit on the bike) right H4.......... I also went out to my online parts houses and checked the listings....... they are incorrect. The adaptor and H7 are on the other leg of the harness on my bike. I assume this is a holdover from the base model schematics and parts diagrams that was not 'caught' before release. It would seem the left hand drive model was the 'base' design.

It's not physically possible to install an H4 in the (as I sit on the bike) left reflector... the hole in the reflector is not sized for it. Not with the same clearance as is given the H4 installed OEM.

yellowstuff.jpg

Last edited:

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
Well you have a 50-50 chance of what side it's on, plus the H7 is physically smaller than the H4, so whater side has the "big" hole, is the H4 and the side with the "small" hole is the H7.

:)

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
So it seems that the H7 can be installed on either side, and the pattern from the bulb should be sharp and focused.

With the H4 in either side, the Hi beam element is sharp and focused, but the low beam element is not, when it is lit.

That more or less supports the idea that the reflector is designed with the H7 spacing, in either reflector in mind.

When the H4 is installed, the Hi beam element is just slightly closer to it's reflector than the H7's element would be. The low beam is ~1/4" more 'forward'.