Which parts to replace? After a crash?

Mancolt

Reaction score
Visit site
I had a few specific questions that I was hoping you guys might be able to help me out with. I posted details (and more pictures) of my bike after a crash this past weekend in the general discussion forum. I've got a few questions about which pieces I need to replace.

Based on this picture, can you tell if I would be okay to just replace the torsion spring and pin that hold the left footrest in place? Or do I need to replace the whole footrest and all the parts that go with it?
27864d1274060289-went-ride-yesterday-now-i-need-some-help-dsc_0158.jpg

What is the left front mole? I know the complete upper front fairing will need to be replaced ($355.15) but do I also need to replace the front mole? I'm just trying not to replace any more than necessary because it's already expensive enough to fix.
27857d1274060175-went-ride-yesterday-now-i-need-some-help-dsc_0148.jpg

Will I need to replace the whole fuel tank or can I get these dents taken out by a local autobody shop or Yamaha dealer and then just have the tank repainted? I recall seeing a thread before that discussed the paint code's that match the Yamaha paint colors, so I'm sure I could find that with some searching. Again hoping to save the $461.51 that a new Yamaha Blue fuel tank costs.
27860d1274060289-went-ride-yesterday-now-i-need-some-help-dsc_0151.jpg

Thanks for any help you guys can provide!

granda080

Reaction score
Visit site
I wouldn't pull the dents from the tank. Bondo is your friend in this case. The metal on the tank is pretty thin and it is entirely possible to tear the metal when your pull the dent. Regards to the front end it can be repaired as well. I had similar damage on my bike. I didn't replace any of the parts, I repaired them all. You can check out some of the pics in my crash album, pretty similar.

Mancolt

Reaction score
Visit site
Wow, that looks quite impressive and professional. Do you have a bunch of experience working with bondo?

How difficult was the bondo? Repairing the front fender? Is it something that someone with no bondo/plastic repair experience could do?

granda080

Reaction score
Visit site
My dad is very talented and he did it. My job, as usual, is sand, clean, sand, clean. I wouldn't say it would be a good idea for zero experience to try to do it. I would guess it would still be cheaper to have someone who knows how to fix it do it. No harm in getting a few estimates.

sjk625

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to hear about the crash, but to answer one of your questions the mole will have to be replaced. (It's the piece with the large scratches in the corner)

Last edited:

Mancolt

Reaction score
Visit site
So to expand on my initial question, I am wondering which pieces are interchangeable between different model years. This is the list of parts I've come up with that I will need to replace and I need to know whether or not they are compatible. Keep in mind, my bike is a blue 07 FZ6. I'm just not sure because some of the parts look like they'd be interchangeable, but have different part numbers. Others I'm sure about because they have identical part numbers (except for maybe color code).

attachment.php

I found an ebay seller that is parting out a blue 06 FZ6 and a black 08 FZ6 (I believe the 06 and 07 Blue color is the same, so I'd like to get as many parts from the 06 as possible). I've been in contact with him and need to know which bike, and which parts, I can use. If anyone could help me with the fields that have ? marks, that'd be great!

Thanks a bunch!

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
I had a few specific questions that I was hoping you guys might be able to help me out with. I posted details (and more pictures) of my bike after a crash this past weekend in the general discussion forum. I've got a few questions about which pieces I need to replace.

Based on this picture, can you tell if I would be okay to just replace the torsion spring and pin that hold the left footrest in place? Or do I need to replace the whole footrest and all the parts that go with it?
27864d1274060289-went-ride-yesterday-now-i-need-some-help-dsc_0158.jpg

What is the left front mole? I know the complete upper front fairing will need to be replaced ($355.15) but do I also need to replace the front mole? I'm just trying not to replace any more than necessary because it's already expensive enough to fix.
27857d1274060175-went-ride-yesterday-now-i-need-some-help-dsc_0148.jpg

Will I need to replace the whole fuel tank or can I get these dents taken out by a local autobody shop or Yamaha dealer and then just have the tank repainted? I recall seeing a thread before that discussed the paint code's that match the Yamaha paint colors, so I'm sure I could find that with some searching. Again hoping to save the $461.51 that a new Yamaha Blue fuel tank costs.
27860d1274060289-went-ride-yesterday-now-i-need-some-help-dsc_0151.jpg

Thanks for any help you guys can provide!

Mancolt, I'm of the opinion that the foot peg itself is what broke. I think the pin, and the spring are probably okay, but the physical 'stop' that keeps the peg from dropping too far down broke off the peg.

Should be able to scavenge a replacement left foot peg, and mount it straight up the OEM bracket.