Which oil?

twobob1

Reaction score
Visit site
Tried to do a search and couldn't find any threads I'm sure because of the search system anyway which oil do you use?

was going to go for this I've always like putolines products

actually that says v twin think ill give a miss

Castrol? 10w 40?

motul 10w 40?

or 10w30?
I heard someone say that 10w30 they felt less vibrations...

Last edited by a moderator:

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
This question, "which oil", usually devolves quickly into an oil war. The answer is simply this; use any oil that meets the requirements in the FSM. You must use an oil that is safe to use with a wet clutch. Almost all oils designed for automobile use have a high moly content and therefore are unsuitable for use in a motorcycle with a wet clutch. There are exceptions, such as some diesel oils designed for heavy duty use, not fuel efficiency (I use such an oil).

My recommendation would be to use an oil that is easy to source that is safe to use with a wet clutch. If Motul is easy for you to get, than that is an excellent choice. Regarding the weight/viscosity, here is what the FSM says:

Recommended oil
@ 5C (40F) or higher Yamalube 4 (20W40) or SAE 20W40 type SE motor oil
@ 15C (60F) or lower Yamalube 4 (10W30) or SAE 10W30 type SE motor oil

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Probably because of past response with oil threads, we don't usually engage because of the emotional response people have much like politics and religion which are not allowed. Choose the oil viscosity recommended for your bike in the temperature range specified. Then you can choose a brand that makes sense to you. I use an oil that has served me well on a number of bikes. :)

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I use an oil that has served me well on a number of bikes.

Same here. I maintain 4 motorcycles, a diesel tractor and assorted small engines with the same exact oil. It makes shopping and inventory control much easier. All of my 3 cars use that new 0-20, so I have one oil for the cars too.

Ital

Reaction score
Visit site
I've been using Motul 10w 40 for my bike here in CT, but I do not ride often in weather below 50 F
Just did any Oil change and also switch to K&N air filter, and adjusted the clutch from under the tank... what a PITA. Getting ready for the riding season :D
Although I still need to lube the clutch cable... I will try to tackle it soon

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've always used Motul. Tried full synthetic 7100, didn't care for it, seemed thinner than regular oil.

Went back to 10w40, Motul 5100 semi-synthetic.

*The K&N filter failure was for a very short run, (about 2 years ago)and as I re-call, was overseas.
IE, it should be fine now..

As for oil filters, I use K&P RE-USABLE, SS filters.

If you keep the bike for any length of time, it'll pay for itself and it's super easy to inspect the innerds of your filter.
Mine paid for itself a couple years ago (and fits most Yamaha's).

| K and P Engineering

Last edited: