Which model is it?

swamp

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys,
Been looking for an fz6 and came across this machine, the frame is black which, as far as I know, indicates it being an S2. But everything else, gauges, bodywork, etc is from earlier years. At least, as far as I can tell.

What's the deal here? It's not quite an S2 is it?
I didn't think you could have the black frame without new gauges?

pic1.jpg

pic2.jpg

pic3.jpg

pic5.jpg

Reaction score
Visit site
You have it slightly right my friend.
Usually you can tell its an S2 model by the black frame but for one year only 2006 which was the last year for the S1 model; Yamaha also did the black frame on that one too so just from the pictures I'm almost 100% sure that is a 2006 FZ6 S1 model.

phranK2k11

Chat Camper :)
Reaction score
Visit site
S1=04'-06' S2=07'+

The differences between a S1 and S2 (AFAIK)

S1...........................................S2
Round instrument panel.............Wider instrument panel
Digital tachometer.....................Analog tachometer
Square swingarm......................Tapered swingarm
Welded on pass peg mounts.......Removable pass peg mounts
1 catalytic converter..................3 catalytic converters
No O2 sensor...........................Has O2 sensor
Black fender*...........................Color matched fender*
No helmet lock..........................Helmet lock

This is just off the top of my head, *not 100% sure when they started color matching the front fender*. The 06' is a S1 with a black motor/frame.

swamp

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for reply guys, figures :)
I've only ever driven the S2 so that's what I've been looking for... should maybe try and find an S1, find out if it's much different. Theres certainly a larger selection.

Oh, and real easy list to take with me phrank2k11 - thanks!

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
I think you'll find that there is no difference riding the S1 vs. S2. They are the same exact bike with some small aesthetic and functional differences.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
In the US that bike is definitely an 06 but the paper work in some counties will list that bike as a later 07 model. We've seen them listed that way before and I do think it was Denmark that listed it as a year later model. :)

Also: front brake calipers changed on the S2 as well as the passenger foot peg assemblies were bolt on on the S2 where they were welded on the S1 to the subframe. Plastics were also changed.

Last edited:

swamp

Reaction score
Visit site
thanks for replies again, Motogiro is absolutely right. Our bikes (denmark) are ridicuously expensive and so we often end up getting deals on previous models. Like buying an 2007 FZ6 in 2009. We see it time and time again, makes the used market a bit misleading at times I'm affraid.

Anyway, you guys really don't think I'd feel much difference between 1 and 2?
I remember reading the gauge is an easy swap so that pretty much leaves me thinking about the brakes and having read something about "improved FI".

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I think you'll find that there is no difference riding the S1 vs. S2. They are the same exact bike with some small aesthetic and functional differences.

This is a small hijack of this thread.....

With the addition of an O2 sensor, I would think that Yamaha adopted a closed-loop fueling system, where O2 sensor output helps the ECU set AFR. This should have a BIG impact on performance vs open loop fueling, where the ECU simply looks up a fueling value based on throttle opening and rpm without any consideration of engine load or exhaust chemistry. I have an 05 and can't wait to try a 07+ model.

I have extensive experience tuning Subaru's, so I have a good understanding of computerized engine control....in cars. Am I off track here?

phranK2k11

Chat Camper :)
Reaction score
Visit site
thanks for replies again, Motogiro is absolutely right. Our bikes (denmark) are ridicuously expensive and so we often end up getting deals on previous models. Like buying an 2007 FZ6 in 2009. We see it time and time again, makes the used market a bit misleading at times I'm affraid.

Anyway, you guys really don't think I'd feel much difference between 1 and 2?
I remember reading the gauge is an easy swap so that pretty much leaves me thinking about the brakes and having read something about "improved FI".

"feel" a difference? IMO I doubt it. they changed a few cosmetic things and did some ECU work to better emission control (and perhaps a smoother on/off throttle?).They did not disguise a R1 motor and stuff it in. Or change its geometry to mimic that of a MotoGP bike.

The only difference you'd feel, would be between a poorly maintained bike vs one that has been properly cared for. And that has little (nothing) to do with the year it was made!!