Which is the best Sport - Touring Tyre right now?

Which Tyre is the best Sports/Touring Tyre for an FZ6?

• Pirelli Angel ST

Votes: 34 10.4%
  • Pirelli Diaclo Rosso

Votes: 8 2.5%
  • Michelin Pilot Road 2CT

Votes: 106 32.5%
  • Bridgestone BT-023

Votes: 35 10.7%
  • Bridgestone BT-016

Votes: 14 4.3%
  • Bridgestone BT-021

Votes: 21 6.4%
  • Conti Road Attack 2

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • Avon Storm 2 Ultra

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • Metzeler Roadtec Interact Z8

Votes: 9 2.8%
  • Metzeler Roadtec Z6

Votes: 15 4.6%
  • Dunlop Sportsmax Roadsmart

Votes: 34 10.4%
  • Shinko Raven

Votes: 6 1.8%
  • Michelin Pilot road 3

Votes: 45 13.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

w5ar

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm currently riding around the world on FZ6. First set was Dunlop Roadsmart and I did on them 25000km on paved USA roads and through to Mexico City, but I should have changed them after 20000km...

In Mexico city I've changed to Pirelli Angel ST and noticed that they are a lot more easier to handle but I feel that I need to put much more lean angle in the curves then with Roadsmarts. They seem to be wearing out a bit quicker, now I did around 13000km and I think there's around 5000km at most left in them.

Both are generally quite ok, both on dry and wet conditions. Grevel and sand aren't their biggest friends but will manage to do a few km on it anyway.

--
www.earthonwheels.com

Piotrek

Reaction score
Visit site
I ride Pilot Road 1, which is not on the list, but as an alternative I'd probably choose P Road 2CT. Never had a problem with mine PR1, riding my 1st set, before I was using sport tires, like Battlax bt014, but wanted something that would last longer because I ride more and not as hard as I used to. On Pilots I skidded once, when the temp was around 50's, tires were cold and I cornered pretty tight. Any tire would do that. On sale they run for $100, recently on Motorcycle Superstore.

bob808

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm confused, isn't it Pilot Road 2 and Pilot Power 2CT? that "ct" seems to be only on the "power" versions of Pilots ...

Downs

Touring Jarhead
Reaction score
Visit site
I just spooned on a set of Shinko 011 Verge tires, these are sopoused to be a sportier sport touring offer than their 009 Ravens So far I'm really liking them and they stick like freakin super glue.

I'm really curious as to the mileage I'm going to be getting on them. This month will test them for sure. Probably about 5k miles just for trips not counting riding back and forth to work and side trips.

I know i usually get 10 k out of PR2s and 009 Ravens.

Sent from my iPhone

Guitar Man

Keep moving!!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm a little partial to the Bridgestones. I've run BT-020's, 021's and 023's as they've come out. They seemed to progressively get better with each new model. The 023's last a long time and are perfect for my riding. I do about 90% of my riding commuting to work and I like how the center of the tire holds up. They make a good product and use MotoGP as a testing ground so I'm sure they know what they're doing.

The 2CT's sound tempting. I may try them sometime in the future.

kennedyted

Reaction score
Visit site
ive only ever had batlax until last week when i bought a pilot power, i told the guy i wanted something with more grip than the stock but not a track tire, he suggested this, but its not on the list, did he indeed sell me a track tire?

kennedyted

Reaction score
Visit site
lol im not much of a leaner yet although i hope to up my riding abilities this summer, but am i going to have issues with grip being that i dont get hard into to heat the tire up ? my original btlax was so flat in the center as i barely leaned my first 2 years

mayassa

Reaction score
Visit site
I have been running my Michelin Pilot road 3 all day today, wow what a great set off tires right from day 1. No break in they just stick like glue! I hope they last for awhile but regardless they rock. :Flash:

Downs

Touring Jarhead
Reaction score
Visit site
I've never got "hard into" a tire to heat it up but I don't run supersport rubber. Any decent length street ride should get enough heat in the tire to provide more grip than most riders can use.

ste

Surfing the ethernet
Reaction score
Visit site
Don't you guys know how to spell TIRES. :BLAA: Where did the Y come from? Just giving you all a bad time. I am ready to get new rubber and this pole will help chose the ones for me. Thanks
well, when all the illiterate Europeans travelled to america, they didn't bring encyclopaedias and that's why its spelt tires in USA :) lol

caliboy02r1

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm confused now about the third option "pilot road 2 ct". On the Michelin website I see "pilot road 2" and "Pilot power 2ct". I've noticed several posts with the same wording as the OP. Is the "pilot road 2 ct" a discontinued tire???

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm confused now about the third option "pilot road 2 ct". On the Michelin website I see "pilot road 2" and "Pilot power 2ct". I've noticed several posts with the same wording as the OP. Is the "pilot road 2 ct" a discontinued tire???

Probably better to get the best tyre, based on independent testing - the Metzeler RoadTec Z8 Interact. (link has reviews at bottom)

The Metzeler tyres use a different technology to satisfy the 'dual compound' longevity needs of riders, and unlike the Michelins that attempt to join two compounds together, just to potentially have them delaminate, the Metzeler tyres are 'harder' in the middle. (thus, no differing compounds, and no potential fault lines)

Scientific testing has shown the Metzelers to out perform the Michelins (and ALL others) in the dry - and more importantly, in the wet.

Your call - but I know where my coin is going when my current tyres are due for replacement.

Cheers,
Rick

P.S. Plus, before all of my research into this, Humpy said so, so that is enough!

keef

Reaction score
Visit site
Just picked up my bike from the shop with new Angels. Wow feels like a completely different bike compared to the BT020 tires (8946 miles). The feels like it is ready to tackle the Dragon again! Too bad its a 300 mile ride to the smokies.

Pirelli Angel St

minerman

Reaction score
Visit site
simply love my Angel ST's and the way the work on my 07,
agile, predictable, confidence inspiring....in the wet too,
they can turn a stressful ride in ****e weather back into fun

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've always liked Pirellis, as they stick like sh!t to a blanket - but this has the trade-off of lower mileage.

The Metzeler Z8 Interact supposedly have outstanding mileage, and the best wet weather performance of the class.

Easy to see where my money is going.

Cheers,
Rick