Which Driver Is More Dangerous?

Which driver is most dangerous to Motorcyclist?

• Younger driver talking or texting while driving?

Votes: 157 83.5%
  • Elderly driver just driving, at this age they can't do both.

Votes: 31 16.5%

• Total voters

Mancolt

Reaction score
Visit site
We did well! Look at the study...........

Seniors vs. Teens: Who Are the Safer Drivers?

Senior drivers, like teenage drivers, have higher crash rates per mile driven, especially when it comes to fatal crashes. But seniors don't drive as many miles, so a better measurement of their susceptibility to accidents can be had by comparing crash rates on a per capita basis. Looking at the numbers in this way shows senior drivers have much lower crash rates. Despite their increased risk of crashing per mile driven, relatively few elderly drivers are involved in accidents because of their lower rates of exposure. In addition, the rate of fatalities per capita among seniors has decreased 40 percent since 1975 and is now at its lowest level during this period.

Unless I'm missing something, they made the criteria more favorable for seniors. I don't care how much they crash per capita, but how frequently they crash when driving. Of course the relatively low amount of miles driven will result in fewer crashes. But I think it's more important to know how often they crash when they are out on the road.

Per mile driven, teen drivers ages 16 to 19 are four times more likely than older drivers to crash.

If this statistic is using per mile driven for both teens and elderly (which seems to me it is) then this is a pretty damning statistic. Can't really argue with this one.

But I will take issue with how they define seniors. They use 15-20 y/o for teens (fair enough, accurate, high risk group) but then use 65-69 for seniors. Some of my parents friends fall into this category, and they are not yet at the age where I consider them to be a danger. It is the elderly like my grandmother (who was driving until she passed away at 82) that are the danger. She had so many "minor" accidents that usually didn't involve other vehicles. But she would run off the road, hit a guardrail...because of poor eyesight and poor reflexes. Anyways, my point is: I think if you were to look at seniors 75+ the statistic would be much much worse and more pertinent to our discussion. I've seen 65 y/o that look 50, and I haven't been concerned with them on the road. But when I see an 80 y/o woman driving down the street in her massive Caddy, then I get concerned.

In all, I think both categories are dangerous but I can tell you this: Driving behind seniors is much more annoying...they crawl along at 5-10 below the speed limit.

westmask

Reaction score
Visit site
While I have a ton of experience riding dirt,it has near Zero bearing riding street.I would love to know if anyone agree's with me that one of our biggest enemy's as a bike rider is the "cell phone". While I admit I am guilty of using mine while driving a nice safe auto/truck , that while talking & driving,I am almost tunnel visioned.I remember the conversation I just had,but,the who,what ,when,where, are a blur to me.I have No doubt that there are many more talented " multi-taskers" than I. But some weird thing happens when I'm on the cell-phone while driving.It seems to become my priority [ in so far as my attention span ].I have No doubt there are sharper driver/riders than Me. But I'll bet life [ & have ] that car drivers yapping on phones don't even see us !!!

fizz_off

Reaction score
Visit site
In all, I think both categories are dangerous but I can tell you this: Driving behind seniors is much more annoying...they crawl along at 5-10 below the speed limit.

Just remember, someday you too will be one of these "seniors" :BLAA:

Oh, to get back on topic, I go with the younger/new driver category is worse. Don't get me going on the cell phone thing :( I'd much rather navigate around a slow mover than have to perform emergency avoidance maneuvers for some "youngster" who thinks THEY'RE invicible and can multitask while using the roads as their personal race track w/o ANY regard for MY (or other drivers'/riders') saftey and well being. (there, feel better :D :Flip: )

fizz_off

Reaction score
Visit site
While I have a ton of experience riding dirt,it has near Zero bearing riding street.I would love to know if anyone agree's with me that one of our biggest enemy's as a bike rider is the "cell phone". While I admit I am guilty of using mine while driving a nice safe auto/truck , that while talking & driving,I am almost tunnel visioned.I remember the conversation I just had,but,the who,what ,when,where, are a blur to me.I have No doubt that there are many more talented " multi-taskers" than I. But some weird thing happens when I'm on the cell-phone while driving.It seems to become my priority [ in so far as my attention span ].I have No doubt there are sharper driver/riders than Me. But I'll bet life [ & have ] that car drivers yapping on phones don't even see us !!!

I tried using a cell phone (was on call and the "phone rang" while I was headed home and within a few miles of my exit) while driving a back in 2004 (or so) - NEVER again: while answering, I realized just in time, that I'd started to drift into the "go fast" lane, and during the brief conversation, somehow allowed my speed to drop (no cruise control) from the speed limit (65) to just under 55 within what seemed like an INSTANT :eek::spank: AND missed my exit that I'd been using for the past 3 years (at the time)! That was MY wake up call; it's sad that today's drivers seem to be so lobotomized we need legislation to make us do what used to be common sense.

Heck, motor vehicles have become mobile "living rooms". Is there any wonder drivers are so distracted? Factor in rude and inconsiderate people (and this is BEFORE they get behind a wheel/handlebars) and... :spank: :spank: :spank: :spank:

shonuff

Reaction score
Visit site
I would say the teenagers on the phone are dangerous. They like both skill and experience. Then you through the distraction of a cellphone into the mix, it becomes a volatile mix for sure. As been pointed out, at least with seniors, you can sometimes get a better "read" on what their doing. Not always, but they are slightly more predictable than erratic teenagers.

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
Anyone on a phone is a danger.
I was waiting at a set of lights the other day and every person turning the corner was on a phone, and its totally illegal here!

Hillbilly

Reaction score
Visit site
WARNING: VERY GRAPHIC

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqHAYVvU_Wg&feature=related]YouTube - Texting While Driving (Very Graphic)[/ame]

Need I say more?

Jugro

Reaction score
Visit site
It's interesting to see this poll going from the young vs old to focus more on the problem of using the cell phone while driving.
Not long ago there was a study published in a danish motoring magazine where they looked at the different distractions caused the most accidents.
At the top of the list was texting and driving, apparently it's because we use almost all off our senses on texting. And though we look from phone to road and back again frequently, we did not register what was in front on the road, BUT the brain was tricked into believing we did.
Ergo people think they know what is going on, but in reality they do not.

SO DOWN WITH CELLPHONES.

PS. Voted on the younger generation in the poll. Some of the things we do are scary(Am 22 years old)

Iethius

Who?
Reaction score
Visit site
I could not decide, I don't think it is a young/old, man/woman thing. I think the same irresponsible teen grows up to be the old person that does not stop driving when thy should cause they are too proud. Although we are probably talking about generic views. Some people are, some are not, and some are taught. (responsibility)

WereGrouch

Mrs. Skrapiron
Reaction score
Visit site
I voted for the younger driver, but I think "both" should have been an option. Which is scarier- my 70 yr old father in law that tried to drive onto the freeway using the OFF ramp, the started dozing off while driving, with me and my 2 kids in the car? Or my 21 yr old friend that condemns my motorcycle riding as dangerous because as an EMT he's seen countless bike accidents... but he texts almost constantly while he drives?

pester

pester
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm voting younger, texting driver even though an 80 year old put me in the hospital for six weeks!:disapprove:

young kids. a 19 year old girl fractured my right foot last year and i needed 1 pin in every toe and 2 screws

i still havent recovered. uh and totalled my last bike

yeah a brand new car she was driving

cap'n

Reaction score
Visit site
I voted "young" but it was a tough choice. I'v done about 30,000 miles in Boston traffic now and I avoid both like they give off radiation poisoning. I see you touch a cell phone for any reason, you're on The List. I see cottonball white hair (for any reason), you're on The List.

fizz_off

Reaction score
Visit site
I voted "young" but it was a tough choice. I'v done about 30,000 miles in Boston traffic now and I avoid both like they give off radiation poisoning. I see you touch a cell phone for any reason, you're on The List. I see cottonball white hair (for any reason), you're on The List.

LOL...hope you've seen Stripes but your post reminded me of a scene from that movie:

<PSYCHO>
You just made the list, buddy. And I don't like nobody touching my stuff. So just keep your meat-hooks off. If I catch any of you guys in my stuff, I'll kill you. Also, I don't like nobody touching me. Now, any of you homos touch me, and I'll kill you.
</PSYCHO>

:BLAA: :D

Ahem, and now back to the regularly scheduled thread (sorry).

jwmrks

Reaction score
Visit site
.....started dozing off while driving...

LOL. Reminds me of something one of my friends used to say. "When I die, I want to die like my Grandpa, in his sleep. Not screaming like the passengers in his car." ;)

In light of this thread, I know I shouldn't laugh about it, but what can I say...

FizzySix

Drunken Philosopher
Reaction score
Visit site
They both have a higher likelihood to be dangerous than the general population as a whole, at least in my unscientific experience.

Teens (or any age of individual) who is behaving irresponsibly is dangerous, and we've all been teens ourselves. I know I did a lot of stupid things in a car when I was a teen that I'm not proud of. I can't expect every teen on the road today to be wiser than I was (though I'm sure they think they are ;-) but I can give them wide berth.

Seniors though, we'll never know how many accidents they caused indirectly, by driving too slowly or cautiously (or even erratically), out of "the pace" with the rest of traffic. I would imagine that accidents happen behind or around them without involving them, as drivers slam on the brakes or get impatient and pass them, or try to figure out if the turn-signal left on for the last half-mile means they're going to change lanes someday or not.

My theory on seniors and driving behavior is that it isn't just limited to slower reflexes or fading senses, it's lifestyle: they're not in a hurry. There's no kids to to get to where they need to be on time, no job pressures like an early meeting to show up for, no need to squeeze in one last errand before dinner, or social engagement to make that evening...no responsibilities, and therefore, no urgency to driving, which puts them out-of-synch with the rest of the people on the road.

We share the same road but have a very different driving experience.