Which color really is faster?

chimneydoc

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Red has got to be the faster one it's the first color of the spectrum. ( ROY G BIV) RED, ORANGE, YELLOW GREEN BLUE, INDIGO, VIOLET) Red leads the way. Doc

jfz6

Not Here Enough
Premium Member
Reaction score
web.mac.com
Hmmmm.....Let's see here.

The inverse relationship between wavelength and frequency means that as wavelengths increase, frequency decreases. Because the frequency of a photon or electromagnetic wave is directly proportional to the energy of the photon or wave,the higher the frequency of the photon or wave, the greater the energy state of the photon or wave. For this reason, within the visible spectrum, shorter wavelength blue light is more energetic than longer wavelength red light (i.e., photons and em waves with frequencies and wavelengths in the red portion of the spectrum).

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hmmmm.....Let's see here.

The inverse relationship between wavelength and frequency means that as wavelengths increase, frequency decreases. Because the frequency of a photon or electromagnetic wave is directly proportional to the energy of the photon or wave,the higher the frequency of the photon or wave, the greater the energy state of the photon or wave. For this reason, within the visible spectrum, shorter wavelength blue light is more energetic than longer wavelength red light (i.e., photons and em waves with frequencies and wavelengths in the red portion of the spectrum).

As i previously said light travels at the same speed only the frequency varies, so the blue colour uses more energy to achive the same distance at the same speed, which sounds like inefficiency to me ;)

mlevins77

Needs beer
Reaction score
Visit site
The colors of the visible light spectrum[2]
color wavelength interval frequency interval
red ~ 700–630 nm ~ 430–480 THz
orange~ 630–590 nm ~ 480–510 THz
yellow~ 590–560 nm ~ 510–540 THz
green ~ 560–490 nm ~ 540–610 THz
blue ~ 490–450 nm ~ 610–670 THz
violet ~ 450–400 nm

Color /nm /1014 Hz /104 cm−1 /eV /kJ mol−1
Infrared >1000 <3.00 <1.00 <1.24 <120
Red 700 4.28 1.43 1.77 171
Orange 620 4.84 1.61 2.00 193
Yellow 580 5.17 1.72 2.14 206
Green 530 5.66 1.89 2.34 226
Blue 470 6.38 2.13 2.64 254
Violet 420 7.14 2.38 2.95 285
Near ultraviolet 300 10.0 3.33 4.15 400
Far ultraviolet <200 >15.0 >5.00 >6.20 >598

As you can see from the charts I lifted from Wikipedia blue has a higher frequency and more energy than red. Red has a longer wavelength. This means blue is faster but red bikes are longer.

Black is a combination of all colors mixed together...and is therefore the fastest...:rockon:

Thanks for all the research, but I could have answered the question without all the scientific knowledge present:steve:

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Not that this has any bearing on the fact that the red ones are faster, but:

If a red one is moving toward you at sufficient speed, it will appear blue. If a blue one is moving away from you at sufficient speed, it will appear red.

It's called Doppler shift. Did that just blow your mindballs?

Tim77

FZ6 in Connecticut
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I pose this question to you all....

How is the perception of speed changed if you are color-blind???

Also, if you are color-blind... I believe the only color you can be certain of is black right?

Last edited:

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Chem,
Not to geeky at all. I would like to modify your experiment ever so slightly and make it more biker science.
Keep all of your principles, but instead of measuring the bike surface temperature.

We get Wolfman to bring a couple of glamor models (they have to be identical twins, to negate any calibration errors). Stick the bikes out in the sun and get the girls to sit on the bikes. We then take surface area measurements from carefully pre-selected body areas.

Your thoughts please?

Nelly

I have never before seen such a simple, elegant experimental plan. Brilliant!

The twins aspect takes it over the top! That removes not only calibration errors due to skin type, but also bias from the judges (so far just you and me, but I'm ok with that).

Only problem is that we have at least four colors: blue, red, silver, and black. We even have a couple of shades of blue if I remember correctly. Getting hot quadruplets might be difficult, but I'm working on a design of experiments where we can use two sets of twins. That should be a more reasonable feat...

Fz6Sa

SS1000 Veteran
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
www.youtube.com
Just stop crying about it!! ; We all (deep down) know that BLACK is the faster one, be course:

1. By keeping the air near the surface warmer, it reduces the viscosity of the air in the boundary layer. This reduces drag.

2. Black is carbon-based, and therefore lighter than the other colors (that are lead-based)

3. Black holes which spin up to 950 times/sec and matter entering them can reach light speed!

4. The black mamba is the fastest snake on land.

5. Black don't reflect any frequency in the spectrum, it's speed can't be detected or rated.

6. Black absorb light protons and allow you to accelerate through them.

7. Speed is totally color blind; hence Black is the only color it sees.

Hence, Ladies and Gentlemen, I consider this argument to be closed. I'm sure your local paint shop can be helpful in achieving the fast BLACK on your bikes as well.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have never before seen such a simple, elegant experimental plan. Brilliant!

The twins aspect takes it over the top! That removes not only calibration errors due to skin type, but also bias from the judges (so far just you and me, but I'm ok with that).

Only problem is that we have at least four colors: blue, red, silver, and black. We even have a couple of shades of blue if I remember correctly. Getting hot quadruplets might be difficult, but I'm working on a design of experiments where we can use two sets of twins. That should be a more reasonable feat...
Data collection can be a laborious and tedious task....... OK I will do this with you if I have to?

Nelly

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just stop crying about it!! ; We all (deep down) know that BLACK is the faster one, be course:

1. By keeping the air near the surface warmer, it reduces the viscosity of the air in the boundary layer. This reduces drag.

2. Black is carbon-based, and therefore lighter than the other colors (that are lead-based)

3. Black holes which spin up to 950 times/sec and matter entering them can reach light speed!

4. The black mamba is the fastest snake on land.

5. Black don't reflect any frequency in the spectrum, it's speed can't be detected or rated.

6. Black absorb light protons and allow you to accelerate through them.

7. Speed is totally color blind; hence Black is the only color it sees.

Hence, Ladies and Gentlemen, I consider this argument to be closed. I'm sure your local paint shop can be helpful in achieving the fast BLACK on your bikes as well.
No worries mate, we can factor that in.
[edit note to Mr Wolfman]

Dear Mr Wolfman,
Our quest for scientific perfection has accelerated faster than we first rationalized.
Please can you find and supply the following calibration apparatus?

1 X set Caucasian twins (identical)
1 X set Asian twins (identical)
1 X set Black American twins (identical)
1 X Swedish blonde

The last item on the list is for a top secret experiment.
I thank you in advance.

Mr Nelly BSc (Hons)

Fz6Sa

SS1000 Veteran
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
www.youtube.com
No worries mate, we can factor that in.
[edit note to Mr Wolfman]

Dear Mr Wolfman,
Our quest for scientific perfection has accelerated faster than we first rationalized.
Please can you find and supply the following calibration apparatus?

1 X set Caucasian twins (identical)
1 X set Asian twins (identical)
1 X set Black American twins (identical)
1 X Swedish blonde

The last item on the list is for a top secret experiment.
I thank you in advance.

Mr Nelly BSc (Hons)

Just gotta: :needpics:
:wav:

Capo79

Viking spirit
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry (NO I'M NOT!!) to break this to you, - BUT IT DON'T!!!! The Only color that includes ALL colors in the spectrum is: BLACK!!!!

Hence proving what we all already knew: BLACK IS FASTEST!!!
(That's why Yamaha started with the black engine coat ...,- a simple tuneup!!)

Mmm... Not black, but white. There you have all the colors. The darker the black, the less light is reflected.