Which class would you recommend?

Which course do you recommend?

• MSF - Experienced Rider Course

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Total Control - Intermediate Riding Clinic

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • Total Control - Advanced Riding Clinice (Level 1)

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Have2BeFree

It's My Bike!
Reaction score
Visit site
I have been wanting to take a riding course for a while now. I never took the MSF basic riding course as it wasn't offered in this area when I was learning to ride. I would appreciate your opinions on which course you think would suit me best. I have about 8 years of experience riding cruisers (this is my first sport bike and I'm finally getting it registered today) though I have ridden on the back of my friends Concours and then his ZX for the last two years and learned a lot. I also took his VFR out last week and had a blast - it handles so nice and I felt very comfortable with my skills on it.
The courses I am considering are the Experienced Rider Course, Total Control Intermediate Riding Clinic, or Total Control Advanced Riding Clinic (Level 1). I am looking for cornering, braking, and basic techniques to improve my riding skills. Thanks for your suggestions.

Below is a link to the local college that offers the MSF courses and it explains them in greater detail:

https://www.hvcc.edu/rider/index.html#erc

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
I voted intermediate. You won't be paying for part of the class on the effects of drugs and alcohol and it seems better suited for what you want/need to learn.

I have never attended any of these schools just the MSF basic rider course.

whatever you pick let us know how you like it/what you learned.

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
Total Control...We had a private classroom session by Lee Parks at Bonobo Performance over the summer. His information was great! Granted, the class takes place in a parking lot, but you'll still be dragging knee...speed is just a by product of control. :)

I want to eventually take the full school! Intermediate may be a good choice since you haven't been on a sportbike for a while, although the class is taught to ALL bikes...guys are dragging floorboards on their Goldwings!

mstewar1

hot diggity
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You might also consider Reg Pridmore's Class.

I did Class some years ago and it made a difference, for me. Reg's focus is on learning how to ride smoother. And while you'll learn stuff that's applicable to riding on a track, the focus is on making you a better, safer, more aware rider out in the real world.

As has been mentioned, let us know what you take and how it went.

Have2BeFree

It's My Bike!
Reaction score
Visit site
You might also consider Reg Pridmore's Class.

I did Class some years ago and it made a difference, for me. Reg's focus is on learning how to ride smoother. And while you'll learn stuff that's applicable to riding on a track, the focus is on making you a better, safer, more aware rider out in the real world.

As has been mentioned, let us know what you take and how it went.

This is a good suggestion but doesn't seem to be offered anywhere near me :(

I will definitely let all of you know what I decide on and how it goes.

I really appreciate all of the suggestions!

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
In NH, if we want to take the intermediate class, we have to do it the same year as the BRC. So, if I want to take it, I have to do the BRC all over again.

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
In NH, if we want to take the intermediate class, we have to do it the same year as the BRC. So, if I want to take it, I have to do the BRC all over again.

Wow, that sucks. Our BRC was $255 and the intermediate was around $100 I believe so you would have to pony up ovr $350 just for the one course? :eek:

dako81

FZ Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I was under the impression that you have to take the BRC before the Advanced Rider Course.

If you haven't taken any classes yet, I would recommend the BRC. It may seem redundant and they treat you like you have never seen a motorcycle before, but it gets you on the same page as everyone and you actually pick up some pretty good skills.

So, I would take the BRC, then probably the advanced course, then with the intermediate riding clinic, and so on.

Like I said it may really seem redundant, but I took the BRC with my best friend and my girlfriend, and I enjoyed it and have been riding motorcycles for 8 or 9 years before I took it. I took it through a community college here and it was $25.

blchandl2

Reaction score
Visit site
In IN, you can take the ERC to get your endorsement without taking the BRC. The BRC costs $50, ERC $25. Neither are racing or speed schools of course. The ERC does force you to get to know your bike which you should do before you go on a track IMHO.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That's weird. Here in Utard you have to WAIT twelve months after the BRC before taking the Intermediate; I'd double-check there in NH, and if they still insist on those conditions, write a glaring Letter to the Editor in your local newspaper, and all the motorcycle magazines, and embarrass them into submission.

w00t!