Where do you get your bike serviced?

FZ6er_FSR

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi anyone,

I was wondering where you get your bike serviced in the Montreal area. Since I got my bike at Newman, I was thinking about bringing it back there to get a tune-up/ oil change, etc. But I recall some of the stories some of you have regarding that place.

Where do you send your bike for that stuff? Or do you do it yourself? Where would you recommend? Is it a good idea to take the bike outside the dealer? I got my bike used and there's no warranty.

Thank you in advance.

H

HavBlue

I don't know about Montreal but I use NAS backyard garage for two reasons, first I know it's done right and second I'm only paying myself with a quality ride afterwards.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Never been to Montreal, nor Canada for that matter (however I did serve with a Canadian Infantry LTC in Iraq who worked for the UN, sharp dude)...I suggest you DIY as much as you can. When you get stuck ask the board for help, there is bound to be someone in your area. I feel the more you know about the condition of your FZ the better rider you will be, because of the confidence you will have in your bike.

:Sport:

FZ6er_FSR

Reaction score
Visit site
What does NAS stand for? :confused:

Hmm, do it yourself. That reminds me of my mountain biking days. :mikebike:

I’ve never brought my bicycle to the shop to get anything fixed because my first bicycle I went MTBing with was from a department store; the cost of a regular tune up was a third of the price of the bicycle.

Also, if you’ve ever gone MTBing with those bicycles, you know you must do a tune up every week. So I did the servicing myself. I’ve been cycling for over a decade. Along the way, I picked up a lot of experience and speciality tools to do the repairs. It started with flat tires, brakes and gears. Then the more advanced: fork install, hub overhaul, etc; but never really got the hang of truing a wheel. Like most MTBers from the 90s, you end up almost becoming an fully unlicensed bicycle mechanic. Saves money and gives you more confidence knowing what’s going on with your vehicle.

I’ve gone through the FZ6 owner’s manual and just finished checking out some of the maintenance stuff on this forum. It’s not too bad, but there’s always that fear that you mess up maintenance and you miss your ride. I suppose I have to start somewhere. Time to add some tools into my collection.

This may sound odd, I got my bike (2006) second hand only a few months ago, the previous owner only put 500 KM. I’m still breaking in the engine. Only until yesterday, I can now put some serious mileage on my FZ6. I’ll let the shop do my first oil change, after that, I’ll try to do some of the work described in the manual.

Thanks for giving me some insight. :thumbup:

Some lingering questions for the Montreal area: What is your preferred service shop? (For repairs that are too much for me to handle.) Also, where do I dispose the used motor oil?

Thanks everyone! :thumbup:

Last edited:

fast blue one

The number of the beast
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
For scheduled servicing I go to the dealer as in the UK the warranty is invalid without it. Also no official service history affects resale values.
Odd bits and pieces I do my self. If it's magor then it will go to someone who knows what they are doing.

MotoMom

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi there !

I just went this week to Alex Berthiaume for my first service. I do recommend the place (so far !). Everything went as scheduled. And it's located not too far from a subway station, so you can leave your bike, go to work, and pick it up at the end of the day.

BUT, I would strongly suggest that, after the first service, you start doing the basic stuff yourself. The second oil change is recommended at 7000 kms, and it's really not complicated. Especially since you did stuff on your mountain bike before (I know, a motorcycle is not the same, but this shows that you're not afraid to get your hands dirty !).

Newman dealership: I've heard too many negative things about them, including my own father's experience... I wouldn't leave my bike there, especially if I want to know WHEN I'll get it back !!!

Gotta go for a ride now...
The weather is just too nice.
Congratulations again on getting your full license. :thumbup: :cheer:
:cool::wav:
Bye !

CFPilot

Reaction score
Visit site
I`m getting the first service done on my new bike tomorrow at Motos Illimitées in Terrebonne, its where i got my bike, and even though Newmans is about half the distance for me, judging from what everyone is saying about them (and the fact that they aren`t able to do it at the times i`d be able to bring it in without me leaving it there overnight...) Motos Illimitées is doing it for $20 cheaper too and its only taking an hour and a half. i`ll let you know how it goes tomorrow, in case anyone in the Montreal area has wondered about how their service is.

wish me luck :thumbup:

FZ6er_FSR

Reaction score
Visit site
I`m getting the first service done on my new bike tomorrow at Motos Illimitées in Terrebonne, its where i got my bike, and even though Newmans is about half the distance for me, judging from what everyone is saying about them (and the fact that they aren`t able to do it at the times i`d be able to bring it in without me leaving it there overnight...) Motos Illimitées is doing it for $20 cheaper too and its only taking an hour and a half. i`ll let you know how it goes tomorrow, in case anyone in the Montreal area has wondered about how their service is.

wish me luck :thumbup:

It must be a small world, I live in Montreal but my work place is down the street from Moto Illimitée. :D

I`ve been buying my general maintenance stuff and missing bolts from them, never actually considered dropping off my bike there for maintenance since I`d still have to take a 45 min hike back to work.....

I like the service in the accessory and parts department. So, how was the service? You got an oil change?

CFPilot

Reaction score
Visit site
well, it went really well. I made an appointment and dropped my bike off at 430, and when i came back from the tim horton`s (about a 15 min walk away) at 530 it was ready and wating for me. I got the complete first inspection done where they changed and flushed the oil, retensioned all the cables and chain, checked the brakes, and all the panels. You know, all the basic stuff. Everything all together was $140 after tax, which was cheap compared to all the other places i talked to. When i drove the bike out of the parking lot, i noticed a huge difference in how it rode! It always drove great, but now its even better than ever :D. i`m really quite happy with the service i have gotten from them the whole time, i got the bike from them $1800 less than anywhere else would give it to me, and they delivered it to my door at exactly the time they said they would be there! Even though its just under an hour drive from where i live, i will keep bringing my bike there, great service and awesome prices!

Last edited:

damian900

Reaction score
Visit site
i dont like moto illimitee got an inspection from them on an 86 fz600 and they gave me a list of like 800$ worth of repairs inorder to get the bike running in top shape, so i bought the bike and got the repairs done at newman on the west-island...ends up that the bike had a lot of other problemes..i spent about 2400$ total on repairs...anyways i went back to illimitee with a lawyer and got my money back for the inspection...im never going back...now my bikes in top shape and dont be suprised to see my 86 fz600 on the streets of montreal...