When your job makes you proud!!!

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
Video - CNBC.com

This is the maiden flight of the Airbus new military transport plane called A400M...

I am the project manager for a company who was a major player in getting this Aircraft to fly (we designed, certified and now manufacture the primary DC power distribution assembly of the aircraft), so I am very proud and had a tear in my eyes when I saw it take off for the first time on Friday...

This was a grueling program which spam over 5 years (for my company), but we are very happy to see it finally fly! FWIW, we were not part of the delays and cost issues (mainly due to engine problems and a series of other things).

Couldn't be better news for Xmas!!! :)

When was the last time your job made you proud?

Last edited:

zmeiaspas

The tall one
Reaction score
Visit site
You're one lucky guy for finding your professional vocation! Congrats on the good news - it must be an incredible feeling to see the collaborative effort of hundreds of people to finally get up in the air knowing that your work was a major part of the success! Awesome stuff :thumbup:

ELIZABETH

Goofball Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Visit site
:wav: :wav: :wav:
Congratulations, and thanks so much for all your good work! :cheer:

My job makes me proud every day. I am a clinical lab tech and we work on Muscular Dystrophy issues (Jerry's kids). My boss is very smart and is always on the search for new diagnostic and treatment tools.

Norm

Senior FZ6 Advisor
Reaction score
Visit site
Congratulations on a job well done. Pride in one's work appears to be on the verge of extinction. I'm lucky. I'm a physician (gastroenterologist to be specific). It's still a great profession, rewarding in many ways, including pride in my work.

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks guys :)

I can't think of a field that would be more rewarding than medicine... Beth, Norm, you guys rock! Being responsible for someone's health must be scary though!

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Very cool! I read the story about the aircraft this morning. Look great. I was surprised that it is a turbo-prop however. What is the reason for that?

I think the proudest I was for a place that I worked is when a Soldier from my company made Newsweek for the rescue of an elderly woman during Hurricane Katrina.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Big props to you Dave! Definitely know what it's like to be part of these collective projects and understand the pride you have in this.

Great work man!

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
LOL.....I thought it was the plane in the background during the interview, and then I said to myself why are they showing a different aircraft taking off in the video.

Never thought it would be a turbo prop.

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
Here is another video: A400M In a Class of its Own

One tough looking plane - (in layman's terms) what capability does it meet?

Capabilities

Very cool! I read the story about the aircraft this morning. Look great. I was surprised that it is a turbo-prop however. What is the reason for that?

Never thought it would be a turbo prop.

I am no engine expert, but engine choice depends on the types of missions the Aircraft is designed to carry... this Aircraft doesn't need a lot of top speed, but it does need to very efficient, it has to be able to take-off on a short runways, while carrying very very heavy loads... cost is obviously a large factor as well... etc etc... look at the C130... turboprop as well.

I'll ask around to see if there are other reasons :)

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I am no engine expert, but engine choice depends on the types of missions the Aircraft is designed to carry... this Aircraft doesn't need a lot of top speed, but it does need to very efficient, it has to be able to take-off on a short runways, while carrying very very heavy loads... cost is obviously a large factor as well... etc etc... look at the C130... turboprop as well.

I'll ask around to see if there are other reasons :)

I wonder if a turbo-prop has a better time-to-climb in certain situations?

In Iraq the C-130s seemed like they would go straight up at times, and drop like a stone too. Landing in Baghdad is like falling; they crab that puppy straight down.

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
Probably... each engine delivers around 11,000 HP... lol

I`ll be at Airbus in January on business... I`ll ask them for the details :)

C130 = big big "puppy" :D

Last edited:

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, the A400M is assembled in Seville (Spain) so I won't see it in France... I will see the A380 though if you're interested in pics of that :D

lol @ the Boeing question... they're a main customer of ours as well of course...

Guitar Man

Keep moving!!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
I'll bet that did feel great. Congrats.

If they ever get the 787 flying I might be able to work on it. Supposedly they're close.

I work for Continental Airlines as an aircraft mechanic. I really get a good feeling when something serious is wrong with an aircraft and I fix it. It's nice to watch that thing lift off knowing that I had something to do with making it airworthy.

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks guys :)

I can't think of a field that would be more rewarding than medicine... Beth, Norm, you guys rock! Being responsible for someone's health must be scary though!

Nah man, medicine is for the birds;) Who am I kidding, I love my job too... even on those horrible days when patients are just a pain in my ar$e it's the best job on the face of the planet. Glad to see you are still passionate about your work bro, don't go losing it.:thumbup:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, the A400M is assembled in Seville (Spain) so I won't see it in France... I will see the A380 though if you're interested in pics of that :D

lol @ the Boeing question... they're a main customer of ours as well of course...

Yes I am!

Thanks