When you sell a bike, do you allow test rides?

Shiny_side_up

Reaction score
Visit site
Its kinda sad that the world has gotten to this point. As a buyer, I'd be equally worried that I just handed over full price for a bike to test ride and I'd come back to find no one there and me sitting on a stolen bike.

So I think the key is "weed out the jokers" and make sure they're covered against damage/injury and then hope for the best.

Or just never sell your bikes and amass the largest collection you can!

MattR302

Awesomeness, Inc.
Reaction score
Visit site
First bike (2001 EX500) - I did test ride it, I was buying it from my roommate's brother.
Second bike, (2000 ZX6R) - I did test ride it, purchased it from a guy on one of my local forums. He went out with me on one of his other bikes.
Third, fourth, fifth bikes (2007 FZ6, 1998 DR350, 1999 CBR F4) - all purchased from craigslist, no test rides, didn't even ask, but I saw the bikes running and visually checked them out.

S.D.Willie

Reaction score
www.youtube.com
I am trying to sell 2 wish I knew! If the guy showed up on a bike I would consider it. I don't like the idea but if he has the cash and is an adult and seems serious I would consider. After all I had my friend test ride my first bike for me. That owner was nice enough to let my friend ride it to my house with his plate on it while he followed. Nice guy I was lucky.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Have you ever thought about what it's like from a dealer's perspective. It's a brand new bike, do they require cash in hand?

Do they require you to fill out a waiver form as well as making sure you have a valid M endorsement? Yes.

I like to treat fellow riders the same way I like to be treated. But I expect that the other riders is responsible enough to have the same credentials or if not, then it might have to be cash in hand. If I were to sell my FZ to anyone of you, as long as you show me your M endorsement and proof of insurance, that's good enough for me.

bigdog9191999

High-tech Redneck
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes but dealers also have different insurance too!

When I sold my tiger the guy was 40-50 and we had talked several times and when he showed to ride it he came on his Daytona. Had his endorsement and we checked the bike out well. Then we discussed the route we were gonna rake and how we were gonna ride it. Then I let most of it on the wife's FZ ( also because he was less familiar with the area. ) he knew he wanted it and let me hold it till all the details were done and picked it up later . As sad as I was to let it go, I know it went to a home that was gonna use and appreciate it. Most of the reason he was buying it was because the Daytona was starting to get to him with age and he wanted something similar with better ergos as he was planning a trip with his sons to ride to Alaska and back !

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
There's probably rare exceptions but if it's someone I don't know or haven't talked to for a while (like not a good forum member or a close friend), then I said the golden rule of cash in hand would satisfy me

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
when I sold my R1 a few weeks ago I had my asking price in my hand when he left... and then when he left again :D

Water Bear

Fireball
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I just don't think you can go wrong asking for cash in hand, bearing in mind that will scare off some people who don't like the policy. If you want to interest more of those people, and hence take more risk, you can always back off to somewhere in between.

In direct answer to the question at hand, I've never sold a bike so I don't know. I have thought about it and I would probably ask for some amount of cash in hand, possibly the full amount since my bike is worth so little. Other methods, like holding their keys, obviously aren't a real safeguard. If you want something of value, ask for their cash.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Other methods, like holding their keys, obviously aren't a real safeguard. If you want something of value, ask for their cash.
I was thinking the other day, this probably applies to personal checks too; even if you're holding a signed check when he takes off, he can cancel it even 3 days after its cashed (don't know if this is a state or national law, or what the situation is outside the US).

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
Before I bought the FZ6 in 2009 I test rode a Kawi ninja 500R.

The owner had put up an Ebay ad and it was local so I went and saw it.

He was up front about a test ride before I ever came out to see it.
He told me I would have to sign a release stating if I damaged it I would be obligated to pay for damage. He also took a copy of my newly acquired (by 2 weeks) DM motocycle license.

He told me exactly where to go on a test ride which was good since I would have gotten lost in the development.

When I returned he looked the bike over carefully we parted and I was on my way.

I had actually bid something like $1,800 on it and was waiting for the outcome when he cancelled the auction. I can only think the reason was that someone after me rode the bike and damaged it so the auction was no longer valid.

Having never sold I bike I think if i did I would conduct the same exact test ride policy. And that doesn't mean anyone with a DM license who is willing to sign a release would get a test ride.. depends on maturity and credibility level

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Only with counted cash in hand. Too many stories of the bike being dumped or being stolen.

Water Bear

Fireball
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Before I bought the FZ6 in 2009 I test rode a Kawi ninja 500R.

The owner had put up an Ebay ad and it was local so I went and saw it.

He was up front about a test ride before I ever came out to see it.
He told me I would have to sign a release stating if I damaged it I would be obligated to pay for damage. He also took a copy of my newly acquired (by 2 weeks) DM motocycle license.

He told me exactly where to go on a test ride which was good since I would have gotten lost in the development.

When I returned he looked the bike over carefully we parted and I was on my way.

I had actually bid something like $1,800 on it and was waiting for the outcome when he cancelled the auction. I can only think the reason was that someone after me rode the bike and damaged it so the auction was no longer valid.

Having never sold I bike I think if i did I would conduct the same exact test ride policy. And that doesn't mean anyone with a DM license who is willing to sign a release would get a test ride.. depends on maturity and credibility level

My concern with this method is the following: Lawyers are expensive, and if the damages to the bike are less than the attorney's fees it's not worth your time to make him pay if he refuses.

Also it would add an up-front cost if you have an attorney help you write the release up in the first place.

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
I can't say I disagree with you completely Water Bear. It just seems so difficult to sell a bike in the first place at least this gives you some recourse. Aksing for full asking price in cash to hold while the buyer goes out for a ride may be preferable but how often will someone bring a few grand in cash with them to see a bike. Seems unrealistic. And btw since my wife is an attorney I guess I really don't worry all that much about legal fees.. I pay in other ways :rolleyes:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
There are also many forum members who will not allow their bikes to be ridden. I have no problem lending or swapping out bikes to anyone who knows how to ride and have the proper credentials. Even when I get my new MTS, any experienced rider is more than welcome to take it for a spin.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Have you ever thought about what it's like from a dealer's perspective. It's a brand new bike, do they require cash in hand?

Do they require you to fill out a waiver form as well as making sure you have a valid M endorsement? Yes.

I like to treat fellow riders the same way I like to be treated. But I expect that the other riders is responsible enough to have the same credentials or if not, then it might have to be cash in hand. If I were to sell my FZ to anyone of you, as long as you show me your M endorsement and proof of insurance, that's good enough for me.

They have insurance for a stolen bike, I don't, and I don't need the PITA if it is stolen, crashed, etc.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I can't say I disagree with you completely Water Bear. It just seems so difficult to sell a bike in the first place at least this gives you some recourse. Aksing for full asking price in cash to hold while the buyer goes out for a ride may be preferable but how often will someone bring a few grand in cash with them to see a bike. Seems unrealistic. And btw since my wife is an attorney I guess I really don't worry all that much about legal fees.. I pay in other ways :rolleyes:

When I've sold all of my bikes it's been cash only. There is ALWAYS another buyer. I've taken $6,000.00 in $100.00 bills straight to the bank.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
There are also many forum members who will not allow their bikes to be ridden. I have no problem lending or swapping out bikes to anyone who knows how to ride and have the proper credentials. Even when I get my new MTS, any experienced rider is more than welcome to take it for a spin.

That is different Kenny. Fred and I swapped bikes all the time, but I know him, and I know he is a very good rider. I also know if he where to crash a bike he would have it repaired. Joe off the street...cash only.

04FZSick

Reaction score
Visit site
When I sold my fz6 last fall the potential rider came with a full jacket helmet and gloves and provided proof of his motorcycle license. I did allow a test drive and the sale went smoothley. If it was a young kid in shorts and sandles trying to take it for a test drive I would deny unless he paid me for it up front. You just have to use your gut feeling on things like that. I myself would never purchase a bike without first test riding it.

MG-242

Reaction score
Visit site
I had a guy show up in a taxi one time to test ride a bike. Hmmmmm - yep, sent him on his way.

This is a tough one and I've been pretty lucky to sell most of my bikes to people I know.

For buying a bike, a simple ride to the corner and back and I know what I'm looking at. I've never had anyone deny me of riding one.