When touring long distances how much do you exceed the speed limit by on highways, assume 60mph post

When touring long distances how much do you exceed the speed limit by on highways, assume 60mph post

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

necrotimus

Stop looking at my title!
Reaction score
Visit site
When going on a long distance ride how much does your cruising speed exceed the posted speed limit on a highway? Most major highways seem to be 55 or 65 so I used 60mph.

I'm not talking about riding your normal routes/commutes either where you know where all the hot spots are. You are on a mostly unfamilar road.

Try to respond with what you think you are doing not indicated. So if you typically assume indicated is +5 over and indicated reads 70 the answer would be 5mph over the posted 60mph. Make sense?

Thanks

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i would say that i do about 5-10 over when touring.. but really kind of depends on other factors like traffic, time of day, type of road... but for the most part i would say 5-10

08-FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
i would say that i do about 5-10 over when touring.. but really kind of depends on other factors like traffic, time of day, type of road... but for the most part i would say 5-10

I would have to agree, it depends on a lot of factors but 5-10 sounds like a good estimate.

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
Typically I will cruise at 80-85, depending on traffic. I know it's a bit on the fast side, but it really burns the miles off quickly.

Oscar54

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Here in Florida, the Troopers usually won't ticket you under 10 mph and is still iffy under 15 mph.

I usually ride in this range when speed limit is 55 to 65 in town. At 75 out of town in some places, I limit myself to 80 mph. Mileage really starts to suck above 80.

joe1971

Reaction score
Visit site
I try to stay <10 over, but for some reason on the long staits it always wants to creep up into the triple digets

abacall

Speedy recovery
Reaction score
Visit site
On open highway with little to no traffic I stay about < 15 over. 90% of the time a cop will not bother unless you're 15+ over. Unless you have something else (lights, etc.) they don't like.

Denver_FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Over the speed limit? Now that wouldn't be prudent! :spank:
Besides, the FZ6 is really a commuter bike and doesn't have the power for the slab. He heeeeee! :D

ross_mct

Reaction score
Visit site
I must admit on the long touring rides for me it really depends on fuel.. If i have to ride back in Zimbabwe i actually travel at about 113km/hr to get the utmost out of the tank. With the extra 10litres i carry in the panniers, i probably get a range of 600 to 700km without having to refuel or go into reserve. But touring in South Africa, speed is probably 125km/hr to 130km/hr.. I'm here on a visa and really don't need a run in with the police.. :spank: Happy miles guys! :thumbup:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
When going on a long distance ride how much does your cruising speed exceed the posted speed limit on a highway? Most major highways seem to be 55 or 65 so I used 60mph.

I'm not talking about riding your normal routes/commutes either where you know where all the hot spots are. You are on a mostly unfamilar road.

Try to respond with what you think you are doing not indicated. So if you typically assume indicated is +5 over and indicated reads 70 the answer would be 5mph over the posted 60mph. Make sense?

Thanks
All depends on the road and weather conditions, if its straight and I can see then I will ride hard. If it's bendy and I can see I will ride it to enjoy it.

Nelly

opds9091

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Here in Florida the speed limit is 70, so when on the highway i ride around 70-75 because i have the -1 +2 the bike rev's up there quickly and i don't want to stay at 8-10k rpm's for a long time.

Hollywood416

Reaction score
Visit site
On the highway I generally run about 10-15 over limit here in most places is 65 so 75-80. Around town and through the city limits on the highway I try to never break 10 over.....there are alot of back country roads around here though were the limit is 35-45 and I catch myself running 60-70 alot not meaning to.

W

wrightme43

Our speedo is fast.
If limit is 70 I use indicated 86. At times I have run 100mph for long periods of time. I dont know why I do that, I just really really really really like seeing triple digits on the speedo.

craig007

Reaction score
Visit site
I run around 80 on the speedo (when the speed limit is 65). My GPS says that this is "only" about 76 mph. When the speed limit is higher, I go just fast enough so that no truck can pass me.

KensFz6

Wreck in progress
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've only done short jaunts on the highway with my bike so far, but in the car I used to do a 350 mile overnight trip down IL to visit about twice a year. I would aim for 8 MPH over the 65 limit (73).

The idea for me is to go just the right speed to maintain a healthy safety zone (keeping both horizon's clear). I also figured it would be just below the threshold of where I may be pulled over for speeding but I DID get pulled over and warned once...for doing 8 over.

Luiz

Reaction score
Visit site
I usually go 90-100mph on the highway. When no cars are around I will push the limits, and when the traffic is heavy I will slow down 70-80mph.

I do not see how people are content going the speed limit, I tried it once it almost killed me.

FZ6biker

Reaction score
Visit site
Typically 5-10 over the posted if its 60. But around TX its mostly 70 daytime so I usually am 4-5 over.

Also depepends who's around me. If its a crazy driver I will do over 20 just to get the hell outta there :Sport:

Fz6Sa

SS1000 Veteran
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
www.youtube.com
Here in Denmark you get points on your licence if you go more that 30% above the limit, - so general traffic seems to flow around 10 - 25% over the limit.
(We are only allowed 3 points, so people in general are not going into that danger zone).