When is the fz6 warm enough for riding

ghostrider951

Reaction score
Visit site
hello, i currently ride a 06 candy apple fz6, i was just curious for first starting our bikes, how long should we warm up our bikes , how many bars does the temp gauge need to have?

i normally warm up my bike between 2-5 minutes, and dont take off until i have 2 bars for the temp gauge

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Mine is an 08 and actually displays the temperature - I always let her warm up to @ 75'C, but I don't know what that is on your "bar" display. It's about 2-3 minutes - usually putting my gloves and helmet on them anyway.

I would NEVER just start her up and ride away, but many people do :spank:

Hutchmaster34

Sparkie
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm sure that's plenty of time especially on a warm day, I have an 08 and it comes with a number temp gauge and I wait until it gets to 104 degrees.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
hello, i currently ride a 06 candy apple fz6, i was just curious for first starting our bikes, how long should we warm up our bikes , how many bars does the temp gauge need to have?

i normally warm up my bike between 2-5 minutes, and dont take off until i have 2 bars for the temp gauge

'04-'06...... the last two blocks of the tachometer will blink, whenever the engine is 'cold'.

When those two go solid, you're at operating temp. :)

Chaosratt

Reaction score
www.computing.zone
Per the manual on my 07, as soon as the display indicates an actual temperature (not "LO"), its safe to ride
Though I'm usaully gentle with it (keep under 45mph / 4k rpm) untill its around 160-170F ish

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
I try to wait until my temp gauge reads at least 140 degrees before I even think of romping on the throttle.

When I'm ready to ride, I push the bike out of the garage and immediately start it up. I let the engine run for a few minutes while I gear-up and do a pre-ride inspection.

By the time I'm done checking the lights, brakes, chain and tires, the temp is at least 120 degrees. By the time I get to the main road (about 1/2 mile) from my house, my coolant is in the 140+ range and warms up quickly after that.

djstrong

Reaction score
Visit site
I sometimes ride soon (30 seconds or less) after starting, but I don't give it any throttle until warmed up. The high idle is plenty to ride off initially at low speed. ie, 25 MPH or less.

Between LO and about 140 I am very light on the throttle, and keep the revs and speed low. I wait till about 140F or more before riding normal.

I've heard for modern cars, it is better to drive after 1 minute or less of starting, even in cold weather. Of course drive it very easy during warming up. The reason is that the engine warms up faster than if warmed up at idle, and less contaminents get in the oil, but I don't know if this applies to bikes.

(none)

Not even here
Reaction score
Visit site
LOL. If it's running, it's warm enough to ride. I try to stay under 7k or so until 150F, but that isn't always guaranteed. Never had a problem between 9F and 100F.

tomari

Just a custom user title!
Reaction score
Visit site
i give it 1 min if its cold then im gone! just be gentle while she is warming

Fz6Sa

SS1000 Veteran
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
www.youtube.com
I usually wait for the 2 bars to go solid before riding, - but this is not a temperature concern, - but rather to allow the oil to reach everything in the engine before I crank the throttle.

Bram

Reaction score
www.youtube.com
At a normal temp day, I start the engine, and then wait for about 4-5 minutes.
when the indicator stops blinking, and there are 2 bars at the temp indicator, I start driving.

but even when the bike is warmed up, I still go very easy on the bike the first 5 minutes, to give the chain and gearbox the time go go to operating temp also.

when I first start the bike, and I put it in 1st gear, I hear al very loud clunk, and the bike jumps forward 5cm. Thats why I take my time to warm up te bike.

when freezing, I let it warmup for about 7-8 minutes
when very hot, it's about 2-3 minutes.

Jez

Reaction score
Visit site
I give it about 30 seconds of idling with clutch in before moving off. It's a slow run through town to the open road, so by the time I get there I am up to normal operating temp and ready for take off.

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, we don't know what temp you're talking. In balmy CA, I start 'n go, baby the throttle until it's warmed up considerably. Not much different from the way that I would treat any vehicle---don't red line it (exagerration) for first mile or so. I use 10-40 wt oil.

Adirondack Jack

Don't call me " Jun ior&a
Reaction score
Visit site
I trust these guys. They say to start the engine and get going:
Warming up your engine - Ninja250Wiki

This is a neat article! Thanks, Erci.
I'm a start and go guy unless it's brutally cold out. But wait....I'm also a fair weather guy so it's unlikely I'll be starting the FZ on a brutally cold day!
I'm normally at idle long enough to run a quick checklist of mechanicals (brakes, lights, instruments, etc.), double check my gear and helmet, deep breath to get my focus, and go. Normally by the time I hit the main road (about 300 yds. down the street) I'm off LO and headed up to temp. The FZ warms very quickly in motion. I stay off the revs until I'm above 150 deg. or so. Then it's all bets off. :rockon:

Mancolt

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the article Erci. I usually wait until the indicator goes from "LO" to showing a degree before I leave the driveway. But this is usually done by the time I've put my gear on and done a pre-ride inspection. The amount of time I let it warm up is also affected by how long it's been since the last start/ride. If I ride somewhere and stay there for 2 hours, then hop back on the bike, I don't let it warm up nearly as long as a cold start after not riding for a week. That's just me though and my bike seems not to mind anything.

sxty8goats

Reaction score
Visit site
'04-'06...... the last two blocks of the tachometer will blink, whenever the engine is 'cold'.

When those two go solid, you're at operating temp. :)

Same here. I typically start her up before I gear up but that only takes a minute or two. I just keep the RPM's below 6K until the blocks stop flashing.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Same here. I typically start her up before I gear up but that only takes a minute or two. I just keep the RPM's below 6K until the blocks stop flashing.

I'll roll, as soon as I'm geared up..... but I won't place any strong demands on the motor, until I have those two blocks solid. Not so much a limit on the RPM, as it is how hard I'm willing to twist the grip.

I may see as much as 8K before it's 'warm', but I won't snap the throttle open more than 1/2 way. Give her a little foreplay, and be rewarded for the patience.:D