When a Phillips is not a Phillips! Always use the right tool for the job

FZ6-ZN

Insert nonsense here
Reaction score
Visit site
The deal with the two screws on the front brake reservoir cap is that they are a different type of Phillips known as Japanese Industrial Standard aka "JIS". A JIS screw has a dot on its head to identify it as such.

Japanese and other precision-made Phillips' head screws require screwdrivers that meet precise Japanese specifications. Many common American and European screwdrivers don't meet JIS specs resulting in an improper screwdriver fit that strips out screw heads, wastes valuable time, and makes hard work out of something that should've been rewarding.

You’ll need the proper tools; Japanese screwdrivers are made for these screws

View attachment 20823

FZ6-ZN

FZ6-ZN

Insert nonsense here
Reaction score
Visit site
so... will the JIS screwdrivers damage USA Spec screws?

JIS screws are 58 degrees and have a blunt point, while the Phillips screws have an angle of 55 degrees and are more pointed at the tip.

Since you cannot conveniently buy a JIS screwdriver, one modification that can be made to a Phillips screwdriver is to grind off the tip of the blade thereby shortening the taper. (Go Figure)

shuckle

Reaction score
Visit site
I generally just strip the living crap out of those screws and put a nice robertson screw in.

120px-Screw_Head_-_Robertson.svg.png

:canada:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I had no idea. I learned something new today. Thanks! :thumbup:

On a side note the Buell uses TORX on pretty much the entire bike and they are the same sized screw. I had to buy a couple of new wrenches but it is a nice system.

W

wrightme43

Oddly enough the driver that comes with the bike works very very well. LOL

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a nice set of JIS phillips head screwdrives I use for modeling. They come in handy sometimes!

Sawblade

Hopped up on Mountain Dew
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I like Pozidriv screws, the bit never has any play when insterted in the screw. The only thing I've seen use it Ikea furniture though.

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
I had no idea. I learned something new today. Thanks! :thumbup:

On a side note the Buell uses TORX on pretty much the entire bike and they are the same sized screw. I had to buy a couple of new wrenches but it is a nice system.

Torx is a great setup. I have a complete set of Torx drivers. Whenever I strip an allen bolt, I can hammer the Torx in and it'll get the allen bolt out.

Since Buell is related to Harley, you should beware the dreaded T-27 bolts.

These look like they are T-25. They are not. They are the slightly bigger T-27, and a T-25 will strip them every time. Track down a tool truck and add a T-27 to your collection.

Fred

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Torx is a great setup. I have a complete set of Torx drivers. Whenever I strip an allen bolt, I can hammer the Torx in and it'll get the allen bolt out.

Since Buell is related to Harley, you should beware the dreaded T-27 bolts.

These look like they are T-25. They are not. They are the slightly bigger T-27, and a T-25 will strip them every time. Track down a tool truck and add a T-27 to your collection.

Fred

Yup, T27s.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Whenever I strip an allen bolt, I can hammer the Torx in and it'll get the allen bolt out.
:eek: :eek: :eek:

"Standards" (like "phillips head") that are close, but not quite the same, piss the hell out of me. I had to replace a few faucet nozzles in the house last spring, and there's two "standard" sizes. And they differ from each other. By 1/32" of an inch!! Impossible to tell through bubble packaging, even with the old nozzle in your hand!

Bastids!!!! :Flip: