What's the best H4 bulb out there?

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site

degake

Stop flashing!! G$*%£#
Reaction score
Visit site
Why must you take the headlight off? All of the kits I use, utilise the standard H4 socket, so no removal of the headlight assembly required.

All you need to do is lift the tank to plug the HID relay into the battery (and hide the ballast for naked versions) take off your inner fairing to mount the ballasts (for semi faired versions), run the trigger to the old H4 plug, put the HID bulb in the headlight socket and plug the ballast to the HID bulb!

Cheers,
Rick

There is no direct access to the bulb on a naked FZ :)
So we have to remove the headlight to replace bulbs, or to fit HID :eek:

Grtz,

Degake

Sent from my New iPad using Tapatalk HD

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
Yea, space behind the headlight assembly is very limited with a naked kit, so you must remove it even when you are just changing the bulb. Not a difficult job, though, as there are only 3 main bolts holding it on in my case and then the two headlight fairings.

I really like the look of the projector setup, and it would be awesome to paint the inside of the headlight housing black to match the rest of my bike, but it def requires more work and will end up costing me more than an HID kit. It may look cooler and put out better light than the HID, but the HID kit is cheap, easy, and still far superior to a normal H4 incandescent bulb.

At this point I am leaning towards ordering the HID kit posted above and until it is delivered, running the cheap 35 watt H4 bulb I currently have in there.

degake

Stop flashing!! G$*%£#
Reaction score
Visit site
Yea, space behind the headlight assembly is very limited with a naked kit, so you must remove it even when you are just changing the bulb. Not a difficult job, though, as there are only 3 main bolts holding it on in my case and then the two headlight fairings.

I really like the look of the projector setup, and it would be awesome to paint the inside of the headlight housing black to match the rest of my bike, but it def requires more work and will end up costing me more than an HID kit. It may look cooler and put out better light than the HID, but the HID kit is cheap, easy, and still far superior to a normal H4 incandescent bulb.

At this point I am leaning towards ordering the HID kit posted above and until it is delivered, running the cheap 35 watt H4 bulb I currently have in there.

Total cost of a complete retrofit package, right from theretrofitsource.com will cost you $150....
In the end, it's up to you to decide :)
(But, if you buy the normal HID first and upgrade to projectors afterwards, it will cost you more than directly buying the projector package :Flip:)

Grtz,

Degake

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
For plug and play, I like and use this PIAA bulb:

PIAA Corporation USA - H4 XWP A/V Bulb

You get a little more light with the same wattage draw:
"Description
H4 60/55W=110/100W Xtreme White Anti-Vibration XTRA, Single
Our most popular headlight bulb by far. The Xtreme White is the favorite combination of color and performance. The addition of the anti-vibration characteristics makes this the perfect bulb for every application, from Harley to Honda."

Last edited:

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks to Red06 on the recommendation!

Called up these guys today and ordered a kit:
Best HID Kits, HID Headlights online shopping, LCD Projector/Tattoo Kits/CCTV Systems for sale

They were willing to piece me together a one off kit with one ballast, one bulb, and relay for $60 shipped but were able to give me the full kit with 2 bulbs, 2 ballasts and a relay for $70, so I figured I might as well.

I ended up going with the 55 watt slim fit ballasts and 55 watt H4-3 6000K bulbs. Very excited to get this and do the install. Hopefully it will be as simple as plugging my current H4 plug into the ballast, the ballast onto the postive battery terminal, and the new bulb in the headlight fixture. The H4-3 bulbs also come with an antiglare cap already installed which is awesome!

Cameronhall

Reaction score
Visit site
get an HID its AMAZING ir road only at night for a month. i will say the bugs are a bit worse. but its understandable being that im light the:eek::eek: freaking earth:eek::eek:.

ddmtuning.com 70 bucks shipped 30 min install.

bob808

Reaction score
Visit site
I have an Osram Nightbreaker Plus and it's been a nice upgrade from the stock bulb. More light for 8$... If I hadn't my other rebuild I'd go for HID as well. Hope it works out for you.

Later edit: I heard about some problems with arcs from the wiring, huge voltage on thin insulated wires could cause arcs with the frame, and that could result in fried electronics. Did that happen to anyone with HID? Or maybe instruments going crazy?

Last edited:

red06

Reaction score
Visit site
hey no problem ,i didn't know they made this slim kit. it probably just got released. i might order a few more sets this stuff's great :)
its just plug and play , only 1 important thing i should tell you, the power connector to the ballast only works one way but can be plugged in 2 different ways so if they don't turn on switch it around

red06

Reaction score
Visit site
I have an Osram Nightbreaker Plus and it's been a nice upgrade from the stock bulb. More light for 8$... If I hadn't my other rebuild I'd go for HID as well. Hope it works out for you.

Later edit: I heard about some problems with arcs from the wiring, huge voltage on thin insulated wires could cause arcs with the frame, and that could result in fried electronics. Did that happen to anyone with HID? Or maybe instruments going crazy?

no , the HID kit will run just off a battery with a relay kit , if anything goes wrong the fuse will blow and nothing will happen, its 100% safe

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
hey no problem ,i didn't know they made this slim kit. it probably just got released. i might order a few more sets this stuff's great :)
its just plug and play , only 1 important thing i should tell you, the power connector to the ballast only works one way but can be plugged in 2 different ways so if they don't turn on switch it around

They always had the slim fit ballasts available (apparently) but only in 35 watt trim. They just very recently released them in 55 watt.

Very excited to get this bad boy installed. Finding a spot to hide that little ballast should be fairly easy too even with my naked bike.