What would you pay...

SirByron

Reaction score
Visit site
Deciding weather or not it's worth it to try and sell my bike, hard times =(. I would just like to know a general consensus of what you all think you would pay for it. It's a 2006 fz6, blue, with some minor dings from a previous owner (i don't know the story here). Close to 20,000 miles (10,000 from me), put on new tires (Metzler), new spark plugs, and flushed and put in new coolant within the last couple months. Chain lubed regularly... Oil needs to be changed soon. Pretty good shape overall, I know it has a lot of miles.
I don't want to sell it if I can't get above at least 3,000 for it, think it's worth a try?

redballs

It's a small world
Reaction score
Visit site
Sell it to a Canadian you will get atleast $3800 for it. Put it up on Kijji toronto, or trader.ca.

C-bus Biker

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm sorry for your troubles. If I were a consumer looking at your bike, I'd pull up KBB. Your bike would retail for a little over $4000. With the high miles and a few dings, I'd probably be happy paying $3200 or so. Good luck. One thing to remember... you put quite a few miles on your bike. That means you ride it which then means that you're not driving a car and wasting money on gas. If I were you, I'd think of selling the car (if applicable) and maybe getting some POS for the weather days. The bike's going to save you money in the long run.

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to say, there are some really low mileage 2006's out there. If you expect to get any activity you would have to list it for several hundred lower.

For example, I got my 2006 with 2800 miles 3 months ago for $3200. No dings, just one small scratch on the rear side plastic cover. I think if you offer it for $2500 you would get some activity.

I agree with the former poster... these are great bikes capable of lasting a long long time. If you are putting that many miles on it then you are saving on insurance and gas.. not to mention the fun factor. This bike really is the best, most economical way to get around. You are probably going to get a lot of people who will insult you with lowball offers. I hope you decide to keep it or if you do sell, you get a fair price for it.
Good luck.

SirByron

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks I'll try the Canadian site, I've also seen a fair amount of 06 fz's around here for 3200-3800 with less than 5000 miles on them, so that's a little worrisome for me. As for the bike being cheaper than a car, I don't have a car, and now I don't have a job either. So my plan is to sell the bike (if it's worth it), by a cheap car, with cheaper insurance (another problem with the bike), and have a couple thousand left over to pay the bills until I can find work.
Having only a bike is great, and I've done it for two years now, but it does limit job opportunities, hopefully one day I can afford both, I feel like getting a dinger car though would be best for me right now though.

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
Thats a good plan, but it rarely works out that way in my experience.

I know over in the US you guys can get cars alot cheaper than we do here, but an FZ6 is unlikely to need any major work for quite a while, and you can do alot of the services yourself.
Insurance can be pricey, I don't know how it compares for you over there, but as an under 25 here its the same price for a bikes comprehensive insurance (valued at 12k) as for a car valued at 2k. The only way to save money is by going third party property, and realistically unless your vehicle is worth like $200 then your just screwing yourself over in the end.
Then you need to look at the probability the car isn't going to have any issues at all, what its running costs will be, and whether you might need to pay for parking if your using a car instead of a bike.
I got passed down a family car, that had 30k kms on it, it cost about 10k new, I got it about 7 years old. In the time I've had it (4 years) its cost almost 8k in repairs just from crap braking, no accidents, because its a family vehicle everyones chipped in to keep it on the road so I can take my grandmother to appointments and shopping etc, but in the period I had it I also had a 250 cc FZX250, it cost me an oil change 2-3 times a year, and a new filter occasionally, plus a can of chain lube. It also took about $15 petrol a fortnight, compared to 20$ a week for the car.
Its insurance was also 1/3 the cars for the same cover.

If you really need some money fast, maybe try and sell the bike only if you get a good price and get a cheap 250 for commuting or something, I can't see a car being any cheaper in the end, and realistically your going to lose alot of money selling the bike.

Anyway good luck, and I hope you get a good price for it/change your mind or get some work!!!

afpreppie04

The Thread Killer
Reaction score
Visit site
It could help to shop around insurance-wise if yours is expensive. When I first got my FZ6 I had Geico and they were charging something like $700 every 6 months for liability only. Progressive was similar. After about a month of that I started shopping around more and ended up with Allied (southwest branch of Nationwide). Now I pay $23/month for comprehensive coverage. I'm still under 25 for a couple more months but have a clean driving record.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
I sold my '05 last month for $3250. Just short of 25K miles, and it had been dropped on the right side once. Cases scraped, but the fairing repaired. Obvious wear marks from luggage, etc.

The Dad who bought if for his 19 YO son is happy -- kid is happy now that he's ridden the bike and cleaned it up.

Cali rider

Reaction score
Visit site
Lots of very sound advice in this thread. It stands to reason that the bike will be cheaper to operate than a beater car as you have already addressed the tire situation. Just keep the FZ.

EDIT---------
Just a quick look in my area shows quite a few low mileage FZ's available, from $3800 down to under $3000. They have become a commodity/tool and will simply keep dropping. My 04 with 60K miles would be almost impossible to sell at ANY PRICE as a complete bike, worth far more parted out.

Quite sad, but it's always been this way.

Last edited:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
As CaliRider said, if you can hang on to it do, especially if it is paid in full. Yeah you can get a beater but what problems will come that the car? Who knows? Besides you done all of the up keep on your FZ and it is good for tens of thousands more miles.

Honestly, I don't see how anyone lives in Canada without a car as you guys have some very serious weather.