What would you eliminate in today's society and why?

What item can you live without having in today's world?

• Not having any type of mobile phone.

Votes: 28 46.7%
  • Not having a vehicle, motorcycles okay.

Votes: 5 8.3%
  • Not having any plastic, no credit or debit cards.

Votes: 26 43.3%
  • Not having any computer, desktop,laptop or Ipad.

Votes: 1 1.7%

• Total voters

Rebuilt

EX Fazer still love em !
Reaction score
Visit site
anyone seen revolution series ... that kind of says it all ... back to basics ...tho i would miss my bike :rolleyes:

Wh0M3

Reaction score
Visit site
I went with the cell phones because I see it to often that people are talking while driving and just today I watched a video of someone walking in a frozen canal because they were to busy texting. I think part of my reasoning is because my current cell has a battery that seems to last a few minutes before it's complaining that it's dead. (slight exaggeration)

My second would be credit cards but I depend on my debit card to much. I have come to feel if you can't pay for it with the money you have now then you probably can live without it or wait. I know somethings require credit like housing and cars because it's to expensive to just go out and buy something new with cash.

I also do know a few places that take cash only. I know this is the antithiesis of what VEGASRIDER said but I feel people who fiddle with cash take longer than just swiping a card. Don't get me started on those who still like to pull out the check book. :eek:

SteveH41

Reaction score
Visit site
Mobiles, necessary evil for most people but would happily get rid of them, give me more time to work instead of having the damn thing stuck to my ear.

D

Dave.TX

Cell phones have made people self-important. Many think they can't go through the day without posting pics of themselves on facebook and such. OK in moderation but too many people can't live without them. Just think if the data stream went down and all you could do was talk. Like before smart phones. Or, if you had to go home and check your answering machine to see who called and why.

Like Joe I got along fine without one before they were invented. They have now replaced face to face contact and made the planet so much more impersonal.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Wish we could start the poll over and include: OVERNIGHT Deliveries!!!!

OMG people - plan, think, use your F'g brain, what really has to be there over night that you couldn't wait for?!!! It just bugs me with the "Gotta Have Right Now" attitude that people and business have. Mainly because of the ridiculous waste of resources.

If you can't manage your money its likely not the plastics fault.
If your distracted by a device - get control of your life - its just another addiction w/out a label at this point.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Wish we could start the poll over and include: OVERNIGHT Deliveries!!!!

OMG people - plan, think, use your F'g brain, what really has to be there over night that you couldn't wait for?!!! It just bugs me with the "Gotta Have Right Now" attitude that people and business have. Mainly because of the ridiculous waste of resources.

If you can't manage your money its likely not the plastics fault.
If your distracted by a device - get control of your life - its just another addiction w/out a label at this point.

There are many businesses and situations where they or you have to rely on overnight service, and sometimes sameday delivery.

Time is money. There are certian situations that you just can't plan for, and yes, you got to have it right now.

I'm in the aviation industry and the term often used is AOG, which means Aircraft On Ground. The reason why it's grounded is because a replacement part is needed before it can be placed back into service and be airworthy again. If that aircraft can't fly, it's not generating any revenue, possibly hindering other goods and services such as cargo or mail. A trickle down effect.

You could be on a road trip and your vehicle breaks down and needs a unique replacement part. I don't think anyone would want to wait a week for gound delivery service for a part that needs to travel thousands of miles, when they could get the part the very next day and be on your way. I'm sure everyone would be more than willing to pay the expedited delivery fee versus being stranded for several days.

However, with good planning, you can minimize and reduce the expedited delivery service, but you can never eliminate it.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
There are many businesses and situations where they or you have to rely on overnight service, and sometimes sameday delivery.

Time is money. There are certian situations that you just can't plan for, and yes, you got to have it right now.

I'm in the aviation industry and the term often used is AOG, which means Aircraft On Ground. The reason why it's grounded is because a replacement part is needed before it can be placed back into service and be airworthy again. If that aircraft can't fly, it's not generating any revenue, possibly hindering other goods and services such as cargo or mail. A trickle down effect.

You could be on a road trip and your vehicle breaks down and needs a unique replacement part. I don't think anyone would want to wait a week for gound delivery service for a part that needs to travel thousands of miles, when they could get the part the very next day and be on your way. I'm sure everyone would be more than willing to pay the expedited delivery fee versus being stranded for several days.

However, with good planning, you can minimize and reduce the expedited delivery service, but you can never eliminate it.

Yes, there are needs and there are "WANTS!" The Wants are BS! - much like lawyers supporting senseless cases. i.e. crouch coffee, thieves injured breaking into homes etc.

As you were. . .

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I had thought about what ship life was like 10 years ago....
It was similar to mail service during WWII, we got to send out a 10 sentence letter (via email) once a week...Now we can send an email in minutes or less. In a way, I think all the conviences kind of take away from the personal aspect of communication. My thinking is, how often do you txt someone instead of calling them or driving to their house to sit and talk to them nowadays?

Wh0M3

Reaction score
Visit site
How many of you have sat drown at a restaurant only to have members of your party take out cell phones? I've been on "date nights" with my wife and had her playing on FB through her cell phone. I agree we are becoming disconnected on a personal level because of these devices but at the same time we are able to stay connected to people who are at a distance. I guess it's a two edged sword.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

PurpleZJ

Reaction score
Visit site
How many of you have sat drown at a restaurant only to have members of your party take out cell phones? I've been on "date nights" with my wife and had her playing on FB through her cell phone. I agree we are becoming disconnected on a personal level because of these devices but at the same time we are able to stay connected to people who are at a distance. I guess it's a two edged sword.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

My roommates and I have started stacking our phones at dinner. And the first person to touch their phone before we all agree dinner is over after the checks comes has to foot the bill. It's surprising how much more fun it has been to go out to dinner.

aussiejules

Elite Member
Premium Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Phone for me, many reasons the phone in the car, the phone in the resturant the phone when you are half way talking to a client phone when your mechanic should be earning you money, phone cause im on 24hr 7 day a week call. I use it but hate it.
Dangerous, rude, annoying, and some ring tones abnoctous.