What would you do...just came into some money

gstephen70

Reaction score
Visit site
And come to think of it, a good friend was side-swiped by a BMW making a right turn from the middle lane on Madison Ave. A police report was filed, the case was turned over to the court system, and almost two years later, he was awarded a similar sum of money. Only difference, he kept 2/3's of it. Guess who got the other third? And he had to wait two years. I waited two weeks.

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Now that I know you're not getting the KTM, I agree with everyone else.

You're a horrible person.

REO Scorpio

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Now that I know you're not getting the KTM, I agree with everyone else.

You're a horrible person.

LOL. Lone, you kill me...:D

Regarding the thread, part of me feels bad for you as I know you were just looking for some friendly advice, but as someone who has been hit by a drunk driver, I have to agree with the majority of posts that felt this should have been handled with the courts. The guy who hit me had two previous DUI's on record, and with blowing a.294 and fleeing the scene, he served serious jail time. I got the depreciated value of my bike and my medical bills covered and that is it. But I felt content knowing that he was off the streets for a while and that someone else may have been able to avoid a similar fate or worse.

By not involving the police, there is no "strike" against this guy. Next time, as it will be his first, he may not have a severe punishment either (depends on laws in your area). While you say he doesn't look like a repeat offender, who does? You met him for a matter of minutes/hours. People that have known rapists, murderers, and pedophiles for years are constantly saying, "I'm shocked, he seemed like a nice neighbor".

While 20K is a ton of money to me, it doesn't seem to be for him. And thus, what did he learn? That he can get away with it if he is just willing to spend a little cash? Sounds like more of a slap on the wrist than a wake-up call. He drank, drove, and hit someone. It was his decision, and I believe people have to face the repercussions of their decisions.

Okay, rant over. Enjoy the new ride, a Street Triple R is on the top of my "If I only had 20K hush money from a drunk" list. :spank:

Scorp

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
also, you get a $20k windfall and you are just thinking about buying a bike...??

Here's some wisdom for you, divide you money up and 1/3 in land, 1/3 in business, and keep 1/3 liquid.

I know 20,000 isnt evenly divisible, but you get the idea.

Or, use this money to help with school, or buying a home.....

Just saying....life isn't all about riding a motorcycle....

fb40dash5

Reaction score
Visit site
Yea, but what about leaving a accident without reporting it, covering up a accident involving a drunk driver, taking money well over the cost of damages in return for not reporting the accident with a drunk driving.

Like I said I may have done the same thing, I just would of kept it to myself.

And you are still suppose to report it to the IRS. Doesn't matter if it's a gift, winnings or 20G you made by getting in a accident on your friends motorcycle. When it comes to profit you are suppose to report it.

Again I probably wouldn't report that either. And again I wouldn't tell anyone what I did.

What other party was in the accident? He CHOSE not to report it, it's not a freaking hit and run. :rolleyes: You make a really, really bad keyboard lawyer. I don't particularly agree with the guy getting off with no legal implications at all, but that's up to him. If the guy isn't a chronic DUI, I bet this will serve as a real good wake-up call.

I don't know where you're getting the idea that this is "profit". There is no profit here, he's getting money to replace what was damaged, which he bought and paid taxes on, with money that he paid taxes on. Insurance settlements aren't taxed, for exactly this reason. If I make $20,000 at work, pay taxes on it, go out and buy a bike, and then have to replace that bike, why would I pay taxes on the money I get to replace it? I'm no richer than I was before, unless I choose not to replace it, in which case I have the money I had before I bought it to begin with.

Don't be Judgemental Judy. :rolleyes:

Driftboat

Reaction score
Visit site
I would of done the same thing as you , settling out of court and taking the money , but I would of bought the Vstrom touring edition . dont let them bust you Bubble.:Flip:

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
What other party was in the accident? He CHOSE not to report it, it's not a freaking hit and run. :rolleyes: You make a really, really bad keyboard lawyer. I don't particularly agree with the guy getting off with no legal implications at all, but that's up to him. If the guy isn't a chronic DUI, I bet this will serve as a real good wake-up call.

I don't know where you're getting the idea that this is "profit". There is no profit here, he's getting money to replace what was damaged, which he bought and paid taxes on, with money that he paid taxes on. Insurance settlements aren't taxed, for exactly this reason. If I make $20,000 at work, pay taxes on it, go out and buy a bike, and then have to replace that bike, why would I pay taxes on the money I get to replace it? I'm no richer than I was before, unless I choose not to replace it, in which case I have the money I had before I bought it to begin with.

Don't be Judgemental Judy. :rolleyes:

The bike he was riding did not belong to him.

And my point is that you don't do something that may break a law and post it on the internet.

And no matter what you think in most states a accident that has more the $1000 damage must be reported. Also a accident that involves a DUI must be reported. Doesn't matter who pays who or if anyone pays anything.

Again I probably would have done the same thing I have no problem with that. I just would not be posting it to the internet.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
If you really want to get technical there was no proof that the man was drunk, he appeared to be but if I was rich and hit a motorcycle I might do everything in my power to not get the cops called even if it meant acting like I was drunk to play on someone else's emotions. I know that's a long shot but no one performed a breathalyzer or field sobriety test so who's to say he really was drunk?

fb40dash5

Reaction score
Visit site
The bike he was riding did not belong to him.

And my point is that you don't do something that may break a law and post it on the internet.

And no matter what you think in most states a accident that has more the $1000 damage must be reported. Also a accident that involves a DUI must be reported. Doesn't matter who pays who or if anyone pays anything.

Again I probably would have done the same thing I have no problem with that. I just would not be posting it to the internet.

So don't post it on the internet when it happens to you... jeebus... :BLAA:

Oregon required any accident over I think $3500 to be reported within 72 hours, but you just had to go to the DMV and fill out a form. If he chooses to withhold telling them the guy was drunk, that's on him. Unless the cops gave him a breathalyzer, and wrote him up, it's all a moot point now anyway. I'm not going to sit here and play St. Peter, I've driven after having a few beers too. If someone hit me, and I could tell that a) they weren't a habitual drunk that did it all the time b) they figured out they ****ed up and weren't going to be risking it again and c) they weren't flat out stumbling drunk, I might do the same, it's all a judgement call. I'm not going to crucify someone for a one time screwup if they just had a beer or two. Violate one of those 3 conditions, and I'd be calling 911 real fast, though.

Whose bike it was is between the owner and the OP, as long as the owner gets enough to satisfy him and/or the bank, if he has a bank loan on the bike.

Like I said, you must be a saint, because you sure are good at passing judgement without knowing all the facts.

That said, I think the OP is (was?) shortsighted accepting that amount of money. Hopefully you don't find out down the road that you have some long term injury that's going to cost you out the wazoo to treat.

Tagger

Reaction score
Visit site
990_SMT_10.jpg

ktm_smt_990_2.jpg

*drool*

i always loved the 990SM, but i'm affraid to think too much about ktm because i think i'm too small to ever fit on one :p

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
*drool*

i always loved the 990SM, but i'm affraid to think too much about ktm because i think i'm too small to ever fit on one :p

Lowering links?

You'd be fine.

That 990 motor and street configuration for tires/brakes/wheels/suspension....

That'd be such a great tourer. And I'd be happy to explore some trails with little more than an added bash plate.

But the 650GS I had briefly really showed me how much fun a bike like that could be around town. It just needed more KTM-fun-factor and power.

The more I think about the more my MBS is kicking in.

I wonder if I'd qualify for financing.....hmmmmmm........

Actually, to hell with financing. I'm just going to start weaving through traffic at 2am on Friday and Saturday nights in a posh part of town.

KTM....here I come!!

Last edited:

cmsuflyboy2006

Reaction score
Visit site
Moral questions aside you'd be better off dropping that 20K on a chartered airplane with your buds. I'm a pilot and know that if you don't go all blinged out on a big fancy jet and stay at one for around 3k an hour you could have a memorable night heading to say Chicago or something that everyone would love. Noone will remember your bike but will always remember that trip...

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
why dont you have him sign a contract binding him to pay for FUTURE medical costs for xx years or something?
why not buy the top 3 bike choices? :D:D:D

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Moral questions aside you'd be better off dropping that 20K on a chartered airplane with your buds. I'm a pilot and know that if you don't go all blinged out on a big fancy jet and stay at one for around 3k an hour you could have a memorable night heading to say Chicago or something that everyone would love. Noone will remember your bike but will always remember that trip...
I hope someday I have a freind like you who gets some money and invites me and the Hawaiian Tropic bikini team for a Cruise..... i'm just saying..... :BLAA: :rockon: :rockon:

jcombs

One day at a time...
Reaction score
www.jaredsbook.com
Wow! I've never looked at the Speed Triple and Z1000!!
Damn you all for this blasphemous lustful talk of other bikes! I'm lusting after these now! They're so bada$$!!!!! :spank::spank:
Causing me to cheat on my FZ6!