What will be your epic ride for 2013?

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Dunno about 'Epic ride' but my next jaunt will be to the Mad Max Museum in Silverton, New South Wales.

Dunno if you 'outta-Aussie-riders' have ever seen Mad Max, but it was a defining moment in my young life!

Last edited:

hk_fz6_05

Reaction score
Visit site
Dunno about 'Epic ride' but my next jaunt will be to the Mad Max Museum in Silverton, New South Wales.

Dunno if you 'outta-Aussie-riders' have ever seen Mad Max, but it was a defining moment in my young life!

WOW! There's a Mad Max museum?? I'd love to see that!!!

Anyway my not entirely firm but reasonably epic plan is doing roughly this in July :rockon:

Airplnmech

Reaction score
Visit site
The epic ride starts today!

The bikes are all packed up for our 2013 moto tour, we roll out tomorrow at 6:00 am, me on the FZ and my wife on the Vstrom. We are running hard interstate tomorrow to get to the top of the Skyline Parkway in Front Royal, VA. After that we will roll down to the Blue Ridge Parkway. Once we his the bottom of the Blue Ridge we will wander the earth, like Kane in "Kung Fu" getting into little adventures, and finding good roads to ride. At least until Memorial day when we have to be back in Woodbine :(. I didn't get a gopro for Christmas :( so you will have to deal with sketchy videos from the digital camera. More updates to follow.

P.S.

If any of you are on the ridge and see us please say hi

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm still waiting to hear from Motogiro on when he's coming north to ride. Boy do I have some roads to show him.

My wife and I did a little 1k ride to Santa Barbara via the coast last weekend. Had a great time and she did her first 450 mile day on Sunday in grueling 97 degree heat. She did very well (live is good on the back of a Wing)and should be ready for a big ride up to Washington state this fall.

Airplnmech

Reaction score
Visit site
Epic ride 2013 day 1.

Here we go with a day by day account of my 2013 Epic ride.

Day one,

We rolled out of Woodbine at 6 am roughly headed for Front Royal, VA to the start of the Skyline drive. After six mind numbing interstate hours we arrived at Competition Accessories at rock hill. An hour later with new Sidi boots and Olympia gloves for my wife we headed north. On the north end of Charlotte we ran into a bunch of traffic and jumped off of the interstate. After a couple of hours of baking in the sun in stop and go traffic we bailed out to a hotel room in Mt. Airy, NC better known as "Mayberry". With rough weather moving in on the whole length of the Blue Ridge parkway we huddled around Google Maps to plot our next day.

Fishwiz4

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't think it is epic, but we are going from Minneapolis to somewhere south of St. Louis via the great river road. This is in mid June. I am very excited

Sent from my Droid RAZR Maxx HD

sandctrev

Reaction score
Visit site
4 day ride during 4 th of July weekend. Starting in San Diego, up to San Fransico , over to Lake Tahoe, down to Big Bear via Death Valley, then back to San Diego. Can't wait.

Airplnmech

Reaction score
Visit site
Airplnmech's epic ride

For those of you that requested pics and such for my epic ride here we go.

Day 1:

Whenever we travel the first day is always a grind. Where we live we are trapped in between the swamp and the ocean so to get anywhere worth riding takes at least a full day. Once we "pay for the trip" we take it easy for the rest of the time and enjoy it a little more.

My wife and I launched out from the big metropolis of Woodbine at 6 am headed roughly for the beginning of the Skyline Drive in Front Royal, VA. Six hours of but numbing interstate riding later we stopped for lunch at Rock Hill, SC which happens to be the home of Competition Accessories. With a full belly and new Sidi boots for the wife we got back on the road. We ran into some serious traffic just north of Charlotte so we hopped off the interstate to try to make some time. Boy was this a bad idea. It seems like all of the locals new what was causing the slow down because no matter which way we took we wound up in stop and go traffic. Finally we called it quits at Mt. Airy which is also known as Mayberry from the Andy Griffin show.

Airplnmech

Reaction score
Visit site
Airplnmech's epic ride

Day 2

We started the day well rested and huddled around the computer in the hotel looking at the extended forecast. Intellicast was showing heavy rain moving into the entire Southeast centered on our planned path on the Blue Ridge Parkway. With that in mind we decided to press north to stay out of the rain even if it meant going into Canada eh? The best thing we did for this trip is take along a copy of "1000 Places to See Before You Die" USA and Canada edition. The night before we pulled it out and found that the New River Gorge was on the list and also on our way so it became the first destination of the day.

As we left out of Mt. Airy the interstate took on a whole new feel. We climbed up Fancy Gap and then hit the tunnel into West "by God" Virginia. If you have never hit this stretch of interstate you need to add it to the list. Outside of the Rockies this is one of the most beautiful sections of our superslabs. My wife said she was crying in her helmet from the beauty that is West VA.

Pulling off of the interstate we hit the New River Gorge for some morning hiking to work up a lunch appetite. I will let the pictures talk for themselves. Freshly stretched and back on the bike we headed out through some of the most beautiful farm country looking for lunch.

We headed out absolutely aimlessly rolling on perfect asphalt winding its way through the most picturesque farm country that you have ever seen. The back country road dropped us off in Lewisburg just in time for a late lunch.

Lewisburg quickly became a destination in itself. There are some little towns that you ride into that pull you in with there beauty and history and this is one. We decided to park the bikes and take the afternoon to explore this little town. Some of the highlights included a cemetery from the Civil War, one of only four Carnegie Halls left in the world, and a bad*** Irish pub. Sitting in the bar we pulled out the map and the 1000 places book and planned our next day.

Jessman23

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm taking a trip to the dragon this year in June. From Pittsburgh, PA to right inside NC. going to be about 2000 miles. cannot wait

LFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
My husband and I are riding with the VFRD group in Arkansas again this September. This will be the 2nd annual Hog Tie. Staying at the Hub. Be alot of fun. Lmk if your interested in going, I can get you info. We will have groups for all riding abilities.:thumbup::D

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2