What to do with your helmet?

Helmet Placement

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

sjryser

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Okay, so when you go for a ride and stop somewhere for a bite to eat or drink...do you take your helmet in with you, leave on your bike or lock it up?

Pickax

Fasta Bloo... and Black
Reaction score
Visit site
I use those little bags that come with the helmet. I stick it in my jacket pocket before I leave and then take it out when I get to the destination and put the helmet in it. It's pretty convenient considering you can sling it across over one shoulder and carry it without taking up a hand.

I see a lot of kids at school carrying theirs in hand and it seems like a bit of a hassle to me. I can flip the bag around to my back and it can sit there comfortably and out of the way while I'm walking. Then I can easily take it off and set it down. It also probably keeps the helmet from getting a few scratches.

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
First thing to remember...in Europe at least..Is that if you leave your helmet unlocked and it is stolen, then you are stuffed for getting home.

I made some stainless steel wires at work with loops on the end. I made them at half a metre for my helmet and two and a half metre for all my gear if I don`t have the boxes on. But I almost always have the boxes on. They are totally rust free because they are used on yachts.

Don`t leave your helmet unlocked.

Steve

abacall

Speedy recovery
Reaction score
Visit site
Depends on the place. If I can see the bike, it sits on the rear pegs. If I'm going in for a while, I take it with me. If I leave it for a while and it's really inconvenient to take it, I lock it up with a 'beener under the seat.

necrotimus

Stop looking at my title!
Reaction score
Visit site
combination (no key!) cable locked to the bike and placed in cloth saddle bags, no saddle bags will lock to foot peg or take with me

dako81

FZ Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If I can park right next to a window where I can see the bike, and I am in a known area, and my girlfriend is with me, I will just use the passenger foot pegs and keep an eye on it.

If I am by myself, I will usually lock it up with the lock.

If I am somewhere slightly less familiar and will be more than 15 yards or so away from the bike I will bring it with me.

These all apply to any resturaunts/food joints I've been to. It's different for each location, time, and the environment of each one.

ANLR21

Master Blaster
Reaction score
Visit site
I take it with me. Seen too many situations where a helmet is stolen or a little "present" left in it. Too many a$$holes out there that think it's funny.

Never had a problem with other riders, though. Honor among bikers?

abacall

Speedy recovery
Reaction score
Visit site
Excuse my ignorance, but I'm assuming you are referring to a caribiner for like mountain climbing...how do you lock it with that?

I was afraid someone was going to ask that. It's a bit difficult to explain.
You remove the seat, lace up your helmet, put a caribiner through the straps. The click the caribiner onto the frame right by the gas tank. Re-attach seat and all done. The caribiner and helmet cannot be removed without removing the seat.
I'll try and get a pic up later.

staticghost

FZ6 Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Oh best believe I take my helmet with me. I did not spend $500 for ARAI helment just so some dumb a$$ decides to steel it. No way no how.

jlsmith411

Reaction score
Visit site
I was afraid someone was going to ask that. It's a bit difficult to explain.
You remove the seat, lace up your helmet, put a caribiner through the straps. The click the caribiner onto the frame right by the gas tank. Re-attach seat and all done. The caribiner and helmet cannot be removed without removing the seat.
I'll try and get a pic up later.

Wow! Sounds like a lot of work to me...

I just carry my helmet with me. It is inconvenient, but as others have said, people will mess with your helmet if you leave it.

fast blue one

The number of the beast
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If I have the top box on and it's empty then in it pops. otherwise I take it with me. Luckily I have a nice Yamaha helmet carrier which doubles up as a back pack.

D

Deleted member 2349

Just did this mod today...last year I had to carry it around and got tired of it...
bullofspadez-albums-mods-picture2923-cheap-helmet-lock.jpg

bullofspadez-albums-mods-picture2924-left-side-lock.jpg

BigRatt

Reaction score
Visit site
I take it with me unless it would be extremely inconvenient to do so. One of the local bike shops warned me recently that there were hoodlums that had taken to cutting the straps on locked helmets. Just another temptation to just opt for my riding goggles on those short errand runs with lots of stops. Just once I'd like to walk up on one of these punks that think keying vehicles, screwing with someone elses bike, or just engaged in any random act of property damage is fun, and teach them some accountability. Anonymity is second only to whiskey as a courage enhancer for ignorant actions. :(

Last edited:

YamahaMAXdRPMs

Jay- Tshirt Inventor Guy.
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i usually take it with me... i hardly ever lock it up... I have heard of too many people just cutting the straps and stealing the helmets.. (yes i know, how do you use the helmets without the strap, but they just toss em on their head i guess when the cops are around).. i also keep a gun lock under the seat for the wifes helmet... just in case we go somewhere that we can both lock up the helmets...

gunlock.gif

The only real PITA is when i go shopping or something, and i need to take the tank bag, then i have to take the bag on and off, i guess ill have to start using the gun lock to lock the tank bag to the handle bars...

*Off topic.. how do i resize images? everytime i drag it by the corner to resize it, it just shows up as original size when i save?

Last edited:

Wildcard

Reaction score
Visit site
I usually lock it up to the bike if I am within eyesight of it. If I am going inside a mall or something, my tank bag doubles as a bookbag with the bottom compartment expanding specifially to carry a helmet. Works great!

iconbag.jpg

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I had a spare Helmet guardian lock assembly that I had re-keyed to match the ignition key. I made a bracket (that bolts under the right rear peg assembly) allowing the new (second lock) lock assembly to bolt up to the bike. Looks stock, works with the original key and I can secure two helmets easily....

YamahaMAXdRPMs

Jay- Tshirt Inventor Guy.
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I usually lock it up to the bike if I am within eyesight of it. If I am going inside a mall or something, my tank bag doubles as a bookbag with the bottom compartment expanding specifially to carry a helmet. Works great!

iconbag.jpg

i have that same bag... works great and the carry strap on top is thick enought that i can put a little lock around it and lock it up to the triple tree... :thumbup:

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I carry it with me unless I think I'm in a safe enough place with a lot of people around to see a vandal, then I might lock it to the bike with the helmet lock. I've had friends come out to find that someone pissed in their helmets when they were locked to the bike, or removed the visor, scratched the visor or helmet, etc.... Not worth the risk when you can carry it in.