What to buy?

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ahhh hmmm, 1400GTR.

Pretty sure ive seen some ex-demo or even unsold 2009 models going for just under 20 large.

Deep down you know you want one Wolfy, I bloody do :thumbup:

It's too big!!!! It's faaaaaarkin huge! Sat on one the other day....i was waiting for Captain Kirk to welcome me on the "Flight deck"!!!

I tell you what i could go though.....a ZX12R! Not quite so cruise liner...more like cruise missile!

:D:D:D

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Heres 1 out of left field , test rode an 08 model when they were new & WOW !!!! bit pricey when they were new but there are some amazing prices on 09 runouts :thumbup: great if you want something different...
2010-Moto-Guzzi-Norge-8v-Left-Front.jpg

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Heres 1 out of left field , test rode an 08 model when they were new & WOW !!!! bit pricey when they were new but there are some amazing prices on 09 runouts :thumbup: great if you want something different...
2010-Moto-Guzzi-Norge-8v-Left-Front.jpg

But then i would have to start drinking stout, wear a old stinky waxed cotton jacket....and tell everyone how all today's racers are poofters!

That is my vision of a Guzzi owner...old, or new!

Still, it's a nice looking bike....reviews???

:thumbup:

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
But then i would have to start drinking stout, wear a old stinky waxed cotton jacket....and tell everyone how all today's racers are poofters!

That is my vision of a Guzzi owner...old, or new!

Still, it's a nice looking bike....reviews???

All stereotypes mate , have you seen their new cafe racer :eek: :drool: :drool: But here is a review & ive never seen a bad one :thumbup: 2009 Moto Guzzi Norge 1200 GT | Review | Motorcycle News

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
The FJR is a great bike for longer rides say 700K plus day after day. Handles really, really well and built for the long haul ( love shaft drive) however if your idea of touring is perhaps a day or two out with more local roads in mind then FZ1!!!!
Knowing you like I don't the 1 would be more of a multi purpose bike- sport and touring!

I think I have most bases covered with my FJR, FZ1 and my KLR but one must keep room for the next ride, eh?

Bikebiz

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm going to +1 the VFR again. They're such a sweet mile muncher, and really nimble like you say. FZ1 would also be on my list, but I wouldn't want to go any bigger. For me, bikes like the FJR and Blackbird are fine and dandy along the highway, but too compromising in the fun stuff.

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I think you need to ride the FJR for sure. It is a big and relatively heavy bike but as long as it is wearing Metzeler Z6's you'll find it to be pretty nimble on its feet.

Shoe any bike with these tyres & it'll be nimble , im have become the biggest fan of these shoes :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: Everyone should use them :thumbup:

jstoof

Reaction score
Visit site
go for BMWs 1300 gt i heard that thing is a beast and i sat on one and it is extremely comfortable yet you can tuck down if you want

rpereira

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok trolled through this whole thread and cannot believe anyone hasn't said this :-

Keep the FZ6. Turn it into the touring bike you want. If you want power, add a turbo to it !! That should keep you happy plus you get to keep the FZ6 :)

And as for the FZ1 I really have no idea why you would want more power, that bike makes you hang on for dear life when you crack the throttle open. I could not quick shift up to the next gear as I was too busy hanging on for dear life hahaha

Great fun :) Oh I they did have a 2009 FZ1N brand new for $12990 over here so make sure you shop around :)

Bikebiz

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The FZ6 is very less than ideal for touring though. It's do-able of course (I toured on my DRZ400SM one year) but what feels like a missile around town really gets legless out on the open roads.

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok trolled through this whole thread and cannot believe anyone hasn't said this :-

Keep the FZ6. Turn it into the touring bike you want. If you want power, add a turbo to it !! That should keep you happy plus you get to keep the FZ6 :)

And as for the FZ1 I really have no idea why you would want more power, that bike makes you hang on for dear life when you crack the throttle open. I could not quick shift up to the next gear as I was too busy hanging on for dear life hahaha

Great fun :) Oh I they did have a 2009 FZ1N brand new for $12990 over here so make sure you shop around :)

On a long tour , 2 up with heaps of gear you would be asking an awful lot out of the little lady :thumbup: Solo touring would be fine but add a pillion & you need grunt & room :D

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

I had a rather lengthy discussion with my "Spiritual advisor" (Ozzieboy) last night, and the topic of the conversation was.....should i just keep the FZ6? The power to weight ratio in regards to both the Sprint ST, and the VFR, are pretty similar to the much under0rated, and most often overlooked FZ6!

BUT! BUT! BUT!

I already have an FZ6 that is great for canyon carving as the Americans like to call it, and yes, the other FZ6 is a great touring steed, with enough mumbo to keep most people happy...BUT i want a bike that has the ability to hit warp drive when needed, and do so with consumate ease!...which the FZ6 cant do

I also want a bike that isnt too huge...hence my hesitation re FJR's, GTR's, etc...

Yes i would be happy with the VFR, but i would always want more...a lot more!

I want the brute force of 130hp plus! Not in the Twisties...all that HP goes to waste there anyway....I want it for those brutally long, straight roads in the middle of nowhere, where you meet up with road-trains, and 100's of kilometres of nothingness!

Am i making any sense???

Newsflash.....Waiting for a shop to get back to me re the Blackbird....have told them i will buy the thing, if they can do the swap with my bike, with no more than $1000 passing into their hands....

Blackbirds hold their value much better than FZ6's in Australia...and this value is slowly going up...as this bike gathers a "cult" following in Oz!

Stop Press, just got a phone call from the dealer...they are only prepared to give me $5300 for my fizzer on the Blackbird, as they reckon there is no margin in the blackbird....

Well considering i have spent about $30000 with this particular "stealership", they can shove their trade up their proverbial! I was insulted....

An 07 FZ6 with 6000km's on it, in near perfect condition has a book value about $2500-$3000 more than that....

So it looks like the FZ6 is going up for private sale at about $8000...With top case rack, top case, Racetech Fork springs, Yamaha Screen, Ceramic coated exhaust, hand guards included...i dont reckon i will have too many issues getting close to $8000 for it...

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So it looks like the FZ6 is going up for private sale at about $8000...With top case rack, top case, Racetech Fork springs, Yamaha Screen, Ceramic coated exhaust, hand guards included...i dont reckon i will have too many issues getting close to $8000 for it...

Sounds like Awesome value to me :thumbup: , the dealer tried robbing you blind though :spank: :spank:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The FZ6 is very less than ideal for touring though. It's do-able of course (I toured on my DRZ400SM one year) but what feels like a missile around town really gets legless out on the open roads.

I have done about 15000km's touring on my other FZ6, with drag bars! Most of it was 2 up, most of it was with a Top Box, and Tank bag ful to the brim....the FZ6 copes better than you think! It's just when you wanna overtake that big old road train, etc, that it starts to show it's pedigree...

Sounds like Awesome value to me :thumbup: , the dealer tried robbing you blind though :spank: :spank:

They can go get...... A holes!

Here something we hadnt thought of :D B King 1300 | 2010 | Sport Sport Touring | Road | Suzuki Motorcycles, Motorbikes & ATVs Australia I love spending other peoples money :thumbup:

Ugliest bike ever IMHO! plus that idiot Boris from Bikeme and AMCN has one....and i definitely dont wanna be branded a "boris".

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ugliest bike ever IMHO! plus that idiot Boris from Bikeme and AMCN has one....and i definitely dont wanna be branded a "boris".

2nd ugliest behind the Honda DN-01 scooter/bike thingo :spank: :spank: , i dont like it either but it gets awesome reviews.....

:cheer: :cheer: :cheer: someone else who cant stand Boris :thumbup: , im glad it isnt just me :D

rpereira

Reaction score
Visit site
haha I was about to ask if you want to sell those front springs ;P

So I take it a no for the turbo then :( Hmm what other bikes, isn't the blackbird a bike heavy bike as well ? (Well thats what I thought). They do look good though :)

I really thought the FZ1 would have too much pull with you Wolfy !! Goodluck finding a blackbird though if thats the way you decide to go :) Oh what about those GS BMW's ? They expensive ?

Edit : FZ8 ? Not sure when they get over here though ....

Edit Edit : Confused Wolfy, your other thread is going on how good the FZ6 is at touring!! What gives ? ;P Admit it you just want a different bike ;)

Last edited:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Any chance you may part out a couple of those mods on the bike you are selling wolfie? I am interested in the screen mainly.

PM me, and make me an offer i cant refuse....is a little bit scuffed, but otherwise in good nick...Yamaha charge $353 for the screen i have got...

haha I was about to ask if you want to sell those front springs ;P

So I take it a no for the turbo then :( Hmm what other bikes, isn't the blackbird a bike heavy bike as well ? (Well thats what I thought). They do look good though :)

I really thought the FZ1 would have too much pull with you Wolfy !! Goodluck finding a blackbird though if thats the way you decide to go :) Oh what about those GS BMW's ? They expensive ?

Edit : FZ8 ? Not sure when they get over here though ....

Edit Edit : Confused Wolfy, your other thread is going on how good the FZ6 is at touring!! What gives ? ;P Admit it you just want a different bike ;)

Not selling the front fork springs....cause i cant be bothered pulling them out, and re-building the forks again...sorry....they are not expensive to buy....under $200, and then you can get the right spring for your weight...

Top Box & Rack could go though....Yamaha charge $675 for both...My top box is a little scuffed, but otherwise a ok, rack is as good as new...All works great, and the top box fits a full size full face helmet, and a small full face helmet (kids helmet, or small ladies helmet)!

I would let this set up go for about $400!

As for the rest of your post...yeah the Blackbird is a little heavy, but still 20kilo's lighter than the Triumph ST! And yes i do just want a different bike...one with bulk horsepower, and effortless touring capabilities...

The FZ6 is a great little tourer....especially if you want to go easy...sometimes i dont!

As for the FZ1 too much pull for me....i hope you write that in jest!

Putting a Turbo on an FZ6, and doing it properly, will cost over $10000...i know, i have done the research!

FZ8...you gotta be kidding, it's a re-packaged FZ1, with only about 5 more HP than a FZ6....and it's a lot heavier, and has lower spec brakes...no thanks!

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: