What the heck do we call these things?

garmie

Reaction score
Visit site
OK - this is probably a stupid question and likely answered before. I acknowledge that there's a search function. I just don't know what to search for.

Here's the question: When someone asks what kind of bike do you have, how do you respond? Assuming the person asking just wants to know the style and they don't care about the model, etc...

I have a hard time answering this to people. I see the FZ6 as a sport bike because of the motor being essentially that. But it's clearly not a "crotch rocket," or at least not in the traditional sense. I also don't think of it as a touring bike. I think it's more aggressive in handling and power curve. I call it a "sport touring," or a sport bike to people that really don't know anything about bikes. Am I right??

Take is easy on me, folks.

dschult2

Reaction score
Visit site
I think you will be safe with using any of the these three designations - sport tourer, standard, or naked.

BatmanFZ6

The Dark Knight
Reaction score
Visit site
I tell people it is a sport touring bike. If they ask what that is I tell them it is the perfect hybrid of a crotch rocket and comfort bike. We have the b***s of the crotch rocket with out the uncomfortable seat and the need to lean over lol So in plain English we rock :rockon: I also personally correct it if someone calls it a crotch rocket.

Yet this is just my opinion Blah

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
With the advent of the 'Supersports' category, I believe our bikes are 'Sports'. We have no luggage, no storage compartments, power that comes on at 10k RPM, minimalist seating and a windscreen that keeps the wind above your neck.....

teej21012

Reaction score
Visit site
Someone else in another thread said they just say they have a Yamaha. For most people, that's enough. If they further question, I go with sport bike. And as BatmanFZ6 stated, correct them when they ask 'so it's a crotch rocket?'. Dirty looks are to be had.

Water Bear

Fireball
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I go with either 'standard' or 'bit of a crotch rocket' depending on whether the person asking is my parents or a blonde of about my age.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
"Standard sport bike"

The intention is to express:

1. NO, it's not a crotch rocket

2. NO, it's not a cruiser

3. It is sporty, comfortable and fun

dpaul007

Reaction score
Visit site
My cousin called it a crotch rocket, and while it can feel like a rocket under my crotch, it is not that. I tell people it's a sporty looking type bike, but not a crotch rocket as they usually don't know what the FZ6 is.

Xavias

Shenanigans.
Reaction score
Visit site
I've been getting a lot of "so what kind of bike do you have?" lately, my usual answer is "'08 yamaha FZ6..." which is returned with a blank stare. I then go on with "It's got a re-tuned R6 motor so it runs like a crotch rocket, but sits a lot more upright to be comfy for long trips."

They usually understand by then. If not, I just say "It's sexy."

bdevries

Reaction score
Visit site
For people who have to ask what an fz6 is I just say it's a sport bike with an upright seating position...mostly because as soon as I say sport they interrupt me and ask how uncomfortable it is!haha

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
My aunt called it a 'Japanese Screamer' - I kinda like that.

"you say you ride a Japanese screamer? That seems off topic, what kind of motorcycle do you have? "

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

JeffSez59

Reaction score
Visit site
For people who have to ask what an fz6 is I just say it's a sport bike with an upright seating position...mostly because as soon as I say sport they interrupt me and ask how uncomfortable it is!haha

Exactly! If they have to ask, that tells you all you need to know. Just say it's a motorcycle [emoji3]

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
My cousin called it a crotch rocket, and while it can feel like a rocket under my crotch, it is not that. I tell people it's a sporty looking type bike, but not a crotch rocket as they usually don't know what the FZ6 is.

It's 600cc of Flickable Fun! Sport covers it!

Dan

Reaction score
Visit site
We call it a "street fighter". Definetely, no one will call Fazer a "sport bike" here, because a sport bike is something like R1, R6 or similar

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
We call it a "street fighter". Definetely, no one will call Fazer a "sport bike" here, because a sport bike is something like R1, R6 or similar

Based upon every dashcam I've seen from russia, every wheeled vehicle would be counted as a street fighter. Since mine hasn't fought with the street yet, It's still just a naked!

Smersh

The Pillaging Tatar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If somebody has to ask that question, then the answer is "it's not a Harley and it's not a Ducati. It's the other one"