What oil filter should I get?

gusss

Reaction score
Visit site
I see on ebay selling alot of different filters, but I still don't know what to get.
Please, some advise!
Thanks in advance

Ryan T

P.P.P.P.P.P
Reaction score
Visit site
There are threads on this subject, some quite indepth. If you search the forum you'll come across them.

Personally, I use the Purolator PL14610. I got that info from threads on this forum.

cbzdel

Reaction score
Visit site
I was thinking K&N for my FZ6R just because of the welded nut on it. I always used them on my car for the same reason :thumbup:

mglowe

Reaction score
mglowe.public.iastate.edu
A lot of filters to choose from and just as many opinions on which filter to buy.

I have used in the past the Yamaha filters but my last oil change used a WIX 51358. I liked the construction of the WIX so I purchased two more for my ride season.

FizzySix

Drunken Philosopher
Reaction score
Visit site
I still don't know what to get.

One that fits. :thumbup:

Seriously, it's just a filter. In my opinion, you can't either harm your bike or improve its longetivity by way of your choice of filters if you change them out per the manufacturer's recommendations.

That being said, there are sites online where industrious riders have sawed open the filters and reviewed the construction, for fine-tuning your decision, if you're into that level of bike-maintenance-geekdom. Likewise, the nut on the K&N is nice for removal (not installation! hand-tight only!) but not a must-have.

Really, you could probably choose by color (black?) and be just fine. I use the Wal-Mart one myself.

But, your ride, your choice...

gusss

Reaction score
Visit site
One that fits. :thumbup:

Seriously, it's just a filter. In my opinion, you can't either harm your bike or improve its longetivity by way of your choice of filters if you change them out per the manufacturer's recommendations.

That being said, there are sites online where industrious riders have sawed open the filters and reviewed the construction, for fine-tuning your decision, if you're into that level of bike-maintenance-geekdom. Likewise, the nut on the K&N is nice for removal (not installation! hand-tight only!) but not a must-have.

Really, you could probably choose by color (black?) and be just fine. I use the Wal-Mart one myself.

But, your ride, your choice...

Well my mechanic over here in my country showed me the difference between the yamaha filter a the cheap filter.....
He said the cheap filter may block, and damage the engine... is the walmart filter a bad option then?........ that sounds really affordable!

mlevins77

Needs beer
Reaction score
Visit site
Scotts Reuseable filter...GENIUS!!!

Pay for one filter and never pay for another again!!! Works great I tell you...GREAT!:rockon:

Plus it comes with the tool to get it off without scratching that beautiful finish:)

D-Mac

Distance Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Walmart has two that fit. The are the Supertech ST7317 (longer one than stock - same size as the longer Purolator one) and ST6607 (same size as the stock filter).

They are both considered above-average filters in various tests.

Both are the same price (less than $3!)

They work great.

FuriousGeorge

Reaction score
Visit site
Well my mechanic over here in my country showed me the difference between the yamaha filter a the cheap filter.....
He said the cheap filter may block, and damage the engine... is the walmart filter a bad option then?........ that sounds really affordable!

Well, all the filters have a bypass so that if it gets too clogged the oil will still go through. It wouldn't starve your engine for oil, but it wouldn't filter anything at that point. I prefer to use the cheap filters and change them every oil change. Either way, I wouldn't stress over it too much. Changing it regularly is more important than having the absolute best oil and filter. To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if a modern motorcycle like the FZ6 could survive abuse like never changing the oil and still last at least 40 or 50 thousand miles as long as the oil didn't get too low.

staticghost

FZ6 Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
I used K&N last time, but now I only use AMSOIL oil filter and of course their oil as well. Huge difference once I switched over to AMSOIL.

Last edited:

cbzdel

Reaction score
Visit site
I used K&N last time, but now I only use AMSOIL oil and of course their oil as well. Huge difference once I switched over to AMSOIL.

Huge difference how? I could probably search it and find it on here but just thought I would ask in case anyone had the same Q.