What is with these Vortex sprockets?

Twitch

Elite Pimp
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys,

I've been seeing alot of these posts about vortex's sprockets being all f***ed up and it kinda scared me into checking what 520 kit I have ordered.

First question is why is vortex doing this and do they know their product is jacked up?

Second question is, I bought a supersprox 520 kit (15 front 48 rear) and I want to know if anyone else has bought this brand and if they have the same problem of having to improvise a part that is supposed to be a direct replacement? I.E. using spacers or washers to shimmy the front sprocket so it works? That doesnt sound safe in any way shape or form.

N

Naykid

Hey guys,

I've been seeing alot of these posts about vortex's sprockets being all f***ed up and it kinda scared me into checking what 520 kit I have ordered.

First question is why is vortex doing this and do they know their product is jacked up?

Second question is, I bought a supersprox 520 kit (15 front 48 rear) and I want to know if anyone else has bought this brand and if they have the same problem of having to improvise a part that is supposed to be a direct replacement? I.E. using spacers or washers to shimmy the front sprocket so it works? That doesnt sound safe in any way shape or form.

Better get used to aftermarket parts because usually nothing bolts on correctly without any adjustment.

SeekGod1st

Reaction score
Visit site
I had no problems at all, I'm happy with both sprockets.

Both bolted on fine no spacers no problems.

I think Vortex has quality products.

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have never had trouble with aftermarket parts not fitting ,a bit of manipulation sometimes,but they always fit.
Same here Mick. So far, no problems with any aftermarket parts. I think some members who bought the "cheap" Pazzo levers - Moto-777?.... had to file part of it down, but that's all I've heard about lately.

dturpen

Gamer/Bike Enthusiast
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys,

Most of the bad things I've heard about sprockets is about the aluminum sprockets. I've heard of people only getting around 2-3k miles out of aluminum sprockets.

I would just watch out for sprockets made out of full aluminum because they don't last nearly as long. I have seen hybrid sprockets that have aluminum on the inside and then bolt to steel teeth for the outside. That way you have the weight savings of aluminum and the strength and longevity of steel teeth.

From what I understand, the difference between 520 and 530 (our stock sprockets) in less rotational weight is so minimal that we will never notice a real difference on the street. I'm going to stick with my 530 chains and sprockets, because I have no desire to switch to 520.

maverick1970

Reaction score
Visit site
Personally, I had the both Vortex front and rear sprockets and had no problems with them. I did the 520 conversion and saw nothing but improvements. All this talk about about only getting "x" amount of miles out them can only be taken with a grain of salt IMHO. I have a rear sprocket that I'm selling that has about 3K miles on it and you can see from the pictures there is no damage, wear, etc. to the sprocket. I took great care of the chain and sprockets lubing everything after washes, rains etc. I feel that it is about how you take care of something.

I don't know what has been said about Vortex that has driven the conversation, but look at the top World Super Bikes and MotoGP riders and see what brand sprockets they are using and tell me!