What is the best mileage you have gotten?

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm rarely conscious about getting good mileage, but I did a test the other day to see what my bike was capable of. I have the 17T sprocket in the front which definitely helps.

Anyway, 50-60 MPH on the highway, keeping the throttle as constant as possible, with one or two red lights along the way. I filled the bike up until the fuel level would not go under the ring inside the gas cap with me rocking the bike back and forth. Did the same when I got off the highway.

I got 58.5 MPG!

Very pleased with that number. The way I usually drive, I get between 40 and 50 MPG.

So post up your best measured mileage figures!

Last edited:

CincoBoy

Tiny Member
Reaction score
Visit site
51.4 back in October. And that was more than 90% Highway.

Having no O2 sensor makes the engine run rich at all times, which I think explains the low mpg.

Lefty

Quis, mihi fatigo?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
62 mpg using Cali rider's method of going "very quickly" through the twisties using only 6th gear... :rockon:

GTPAddict

Just a dude with an FZ6
Reaction score
theblattners.com
My best is 56 MPG, but that only happened once (mostly highway). I averaged around 48-49 until I changed to a 15T front sprocket. With that I was getting around 45 MPG. I changed back to the 16T but my mileage dropped again to around 42 MPG?!WTF?!

CincoBoy: I'm not positive, but I believe the 04-06 have no O2 sensor, but the 07-09 models do. I remember looking at wiring diagrams a couple years ago when I noticed this.

Xavias

Shenanigans.
Reaction score
Visit site
Whole day in the twisties from Montrose CO back to Colorado Springs CO yielded 67 MPG. I still have no idea how... I was in 3rd-4th gear most of the day...

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Whole day in the twisties from Montrose CO back to Colorado Springs CO yielded 67 MPG. I still have no idea how... I was in 3rd-4th gear most of the day...

I've said it before but these bikes like to stay up a little higher in the rpms and that's most likely why you saw such good mileage. The engine doesn't have to work as hard when it spins a little faster ad therefore gets better mpg!

Xavias

Shenanigans.
Reaction score
Visit site
I've said it before but these bikes like to stay up a little higher in the rpms and that's most likely why you saw such good mileage. The engine doesn't have to work as hard when it spins a little faster ad therefore gets better mpg!

And more fun! Don't forget the more fun part... :thumbup:

dpaul007

Reaction score
Visit site
Best this year (first year I've ridden) was 55mpg. Going to do a better test next year between 87 octane that's blended with up to 10% ethanol (which is everywhere) and 91 octane w/o ethanol. From the few times I switched back and forth between the two the past summer, I couldn't tell a difference in performance or mileage.

2006_FZ6

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I got 57 mpg using 91 octane, mostly city driving commuting to/from work. Not really stop and go traffic, but moving along at 35 ~ 45 speed limit.

DHG4139

Reaction score
Visit site
I've been keeping track of fuel usage since new.
3 years and 18k+ miles.

low - 35.08
high - 64.92
avg - 52.37

116 tanks of regular gas (350 gallons).

eddiekay

Reaction score
Visit site
worth mentioning....the FZ on a normal saturday ride to the hills actually burns less than my ninjette. Rode to Boston @ 90...219 miles to the fumes, did the same ride on the ninjette....210

D

Dave.TX

Only had mine for 9,000 miles. Average was 45.2 and best was 60.8. I tracked my mileage using fuelly online, 72 fillups, and distance was using a GPS.

Speedo and odometer were not correct according to GPS but when I put in the 17 tooth front sprocket the speedo was spot on. Stock these bikes are optimistic.

Last edited by a moderator:

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
Also everyone note that the odometer is only accurate with the stock sprocket. If you have a +1 or -1 front sprocket, you need to multiply your recorded odometer reading by 1.07 or .93, respectively, to get an accurate MPG calculation.

aid-90

Reaction score
Visit site
on a long journey I got 160 miles which includes going 15miles into the reserve.
As it took 17.3 litres to fill it up from there, I reckon I got 42mpg.
Which seems bad but is lot better than usual :BLAA: :BLAA: