What is behind this cover?

zigzagg321

blue is fastest...
Reaction score
Visit site
Wondering if anyone knew what is behind this cover? Is oil going to come out if I remove it? Thanks in advance.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Wait.... wait.... wait..... I got it!

The engine!!!! :steve:

Oh ... crap! This isn't the bar? ;)

David beat us to it. Well done!

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
I don't believe you will have a gusher on your hands, if you were to remove that cover.

Probably some small amount of oil will drip from the inside of the cover, so it's not spotless.... but the crank case oil is at a lower level than that point. If you remove the dipstick, and hold it against the cases, you can get a fairly good idea of how high the oil level is in the sump. that will let you know for sure.

I'd suggest you ensure you have the replacement gasket available before you do remove it, however. It's pretty sure to seep oil in the future if you try and reuse the OEM one.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If your looking to replace the cover itself (from a fall) the screws that hold the pick up sensor are friggin tight (As I re-call, maybe some thread locker on them as well).

Make sure you have a handheld impact (as in hammer hit) hand driver as well to remove the screws.

If you set the cover on a short sturdy stool adjacent to the bike, you can swap out the sensor to the new cover without pulling the bike apart to up-plug it.
You'll also need some liguid Yamaha bond sealer for around the rubber grommit when re-assembling.

I replaced mine (scratched from previous owner) on the side stand, no oil came out...

You'll also see your cam chain.

trailmug

Reaction score
Visit site
You might want to pick up a gasket for that cover if you intend to remove it.. The crankshaft sensor rotor and cam chain throw oil toward it. My gasket delaminated when I removed this cover to mess with the valve clearance, but i was able to successfully reuse it.

ecudoc

Reaction score
Visit site
The P.O of my bike must have done some tinkering with this because you can see where the gasket is newer on my bike, what would he/ could he have been doing behind this cover? I have had the bike for about 6k miles and no problems with it that i noticed. Any advice?

fazil

Reaction score
Visit site
You'll also need some liguid Yamaha bond sealer for around the rubber grommit when re-assembling.

I'll do the same change soon. I have the part and the gasket also.
I wonder about the sealer.
Can i use any liquid gasket sealer or a special one is needed?
I don't think i can find Yamaha brand sealent around here.

Do you also recommend using locktite while putting it back?

Last edited:

trailmug

Reaction score
Visit site
I'll do the same change soon. I have the part and the gasket also.
I wonder about the sealer.
Can i use any liquid gasket sealer or a special one is needed?
I don't think i can find Yamaha brand sealent around here.

I think I'd use gasket maker. I used Permatex Ultra Black around the rotor pickup wire plug doodad.. the original sealant seemed to be of the vulcanizing type as well. To be clear, the large gasket itself shouldn't require any sealant.

Last edited:

trailmug

Reaction score
Visit site

I tend to use Loctite where it was originally.. The cover bolts don't have threadlocker, but you might find some as colored threads where the rotor pickup bolts to the cover. The blue-strength stuff there should be sufficient.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I tend to use Loctite where it was originally.. The cover bolts don't have threadlocker, but you might find some as colored threads where the rotor pickup bolts to the cover. The blue-strength stuff there should be sufficient.

The manual says 7.2 foot lbs and doesn't mention locktite but I agree with the above, if there was some locking agent on it (the pickup sensor), I'd put some on. I would also think any rubber to metal sealer would be fine where the rubber wire grommet meets the block.

I happened to have the Yamaha sealer and used it when I replaced my cover...

Sawblade

Hopped up on Mountain Dew
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I hate the little plastic cap in the center of that cover. The silver paint started flaking off, so I scraped it all off with my fingernail.