what is a Sprocket?

FZ6PURPLE

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello! I am a wife with a motorcyclist husband but I am clueless about bikes so can someone tell me what is a sprocket and what does it do?

jspansel

Reaction score
Visit site
The sprocket is the saw blade looking things that the chain wraps around. There are two. A small one at the front of the chain and a big one at the rear wheel. The output shaft spins the front sprocket transferring to the rear and moving the motorcycle.

jspansel

Reaction score
Visit site
Conver.jpg

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:to our great forum! :D
Basically a sprocket is a toothed wheel that drives a chain that drives another sprocket that is attached to a wheel.

A sprocket looks sort of like a gear but gears are usually used to drive other gears and sprockets are not used that way.
Here's an example of a smaller sprocket that would be attached to the final drive output shaft on a motorcycle attached to a larger sprocket that would be attached to a rear wheel. This is how the wheel is turned.

Chain-Sprocket.jpg

Susan

That Romance Author Lady
Reaction score
Visit site
The guys have given great answers, so I'll just say I think it's cool you're not afraid to ask questions and learn stuff. :cheer:

turbid

Reaction score
Visit site
welcome to the forum! women are on the increase :cheer:

so your question has been clearly answered by the above posts.

what i want to add is this. If you are going to buy a set of sprokets for your hubby as a present or anything, there are a lot of setups to choose from.

what i mean is this, the bike comes stock with a 16 tooth front and a 46 tooth rear. if you buy lets say a 15 tooth front and a 48 tooth rear, it will DRAMATICALLY alter the gearing and speed of the bike, apart from having to buy a different chain as the stock probably would not fit. so ask you hubby what kind of riding he does or what he would want to improve in the gearing, acceleration of the bike.

many go for a 15 tooth front with the stock rear. this improves acceleration but robs the bike of a few mph of top speed.

with this setup you do not need to change the chain. but ask first before you buy.

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:

My best advice.... ask your husband about all the bike parts. He'll be pleased you're taking an interest.

Spending time with my husband in the shed, tinkering around with the bikes - very special for me (and we get to have a beer down there :))

Susan

That Romance Author Lady
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm digging the color of the bike in your avatars picture Susan I'd ride it:D

Nuh-uh, man. Nobody touches my Precccciiiiooouuuusssss but me. Maybe dh, but he hasn't had the nerve to actually do it yet. Yes, I realize I've ridden his VF, and I have double standards, but what can you do? :D

welcome to the forum! women are on the increase :cheer:

so your question has been clearly answered by the above posts.

what i want to add is this. If you are going to buy a set of sprokets for your hubby as a present or anything, there are a lot of setups to choose from.

what i mean is this, the bike comes stock with a 16 tooth front and a 46 tooth rear. if you buy lets say a 15 tooth front and a 48 tooth rear, it will DRAMATICALLY alter the gearing and speed of the bike, apart from having to buy a different chain as the stock probably would not fit. so ask you hubby what kind of riding he does or what he would want to improve in the gearing, acceleration of the bike.

many go for a 15 tooth front with the stock rear. this improves acceleration but robs the bike of a few mph of top speed.

with this setup you do not need to change the chain. but ask first before you buy.

You sent the link to this thread to your wife, right?

:welcome:

My best advice.... ask your husband about all the bike parts. He'll be pleased you're taking an interest.

Spending time with my husband in the shed, tinkering around with the bikes - very special for me (and we get to have a beer down there :))

Hear, hear! I love spending time with my hubby in the shop, and he doesn't complain much about how many questions I ask (I ask a lot of questions). Though once he billed me for it. :spank:

FZ6PURPLE

Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you everyone for your helpful response! I'm sure I will ask something else pretty soon :D....Funny dance video! LOL

lytehouse

The Toy Lady
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I hope you post up a pic of your bike soon! A friend of mine from the FZ1 forum had her bike painted purple. It's actually very pretty and unique!

And :welcome: aboard!

turbid

Reaction score
Visit site
You sent the link to this thread to your wife, right?

I didnt get it, what need is there to send it? im still wifeless btw:D

FZ6PURPLE

Reaction score
Visit site
I will start asking more questions to my hubby, but some times I like to look smarter :D so please do not mind my questions :Sport: