What Headlight Bulb Do I Need? Euro Mod Headlight

garretth633

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey there,

Just got my motorcycle license and purchased a 2004 Yamaha FZ6. It has some sort of Euro headlight mod I believe, and I am wondering if I have the correct bulbs. The person I bought it from gave me the old bulbs but I didn't see how they fit into where they should go. I have new ones but am now wondering if I even have the right ones. They are Eiko A-3603 bulbs, had to order them online.

Pictures are attached of where the bulbs are going into (both connector and back of the headlight), the bulbs themselves, and the headlight mod as a whole.

I am trying to get this in for an NC inspection this week so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:to this great forum!

The 3603 light is a 25 watt dual filament lamp and I don't think it will pass any state inspection as a headlamp if your state requires a headlamp. I doubt a bulb change to a standard H4 will do the trick either being the reflector in that headlamp assembly was probably designed for the 3603 lamps. You may get lucky with the reflector if you can get the H4 lamp installed. The H4 will have to be rotated in the correct position (it has tabs) so when the high beam is turned on the beam position will be heightened for distance. The next problem is the American FZ6 (faired version) did not have a cutoff for the low beam when the high beam is activated. This means you will have to get the switching modified to run the H4 lamp so that only one filament is active when switching to Hi or Lo beam. There are a number of ways to do this mod and I suggest contacting a member here on our sight "bd43" for a wire to solve this switching problem. Your bike may already have the Hi/Lo beam modification. :)

garretth633

Reaction score
Visit site
Motogiro,

Thank you for the quick and informative response. I plan on taking it into my local motorcycle shop, but I want to figure out how to get atleast some kind of functioning headlight before taking it on the road. Do you happen to know if the adaptor where I put the headlight bulb in is correct for the bulb even? I can't seem to figure out how to get the bulb to stay in. I've been googling the "bayonet" bulb for a while now but can't seem to find out how this all works. The socket where it goes is spring loaded, and I can push it down but I'm not sure how this bulb is supposed to securely stay in. Or is there another kind of bulb that may work for this? I feel like if I can get some kind of bulb correctly hooked up I can manage for atleast a little while. All the other lights work fine.

Thanks again,

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Motogiro,

Thank you for the quick and informative response. I plan on taking it into my local motorcycle shop, but I want to figure out how to get atleast some kind of functioning headlight before taking it on the road. Do you happen to know if the adaptor where I put the headlight bulb in is correct for the bulb even? I can't seem to figure out how to get the bulb to stay in. I've been googling the "bayonet" bulb for a while now but can't seem to find out how this all works. The socket where it goes is spring loaded, and I can push it down but I'm not sure how this bulb is supposed to securely stay in. Or is there another kind of bulb that may work for this? I feel like if I can get some kind of bulb correctly hooked up I can manage for atleast a little while. All the other lights work fine.

Thanks again,

The top bulb in your headlamp assembly may be able to fit an H4 dual filament lamp. I see it has tabs to clock the lamp to a fixed orientation/rotation. If that's good you'll have to put an H4 type plug on your headlamp socket if there isn't one. You'll need the black with a green tracer wire going to the lo beam filament. The black with yellow tracer wire going to the hi beam filament. A black wire is the ground for both the filaments.

The lower lamp can stay as a running lamp.

I know this can be a little hard to follow if you're not familiar with wiring but this info might also help who will do the work for you.

Hoping that you can get the H4 dual filament in the top section there will be one more task to take care of. The US FZ6 was a faired version with 2 separate headlamps. Although the one headlamp was a dual filament, only the hi beam filament was used and the low beam filament was not used. The low beam bulb was a separate lamp with a one filament (H7) lamp. This made the bike appear to have one headlamp out unless you put the high beam on or lit (modifying) the unused lo beam filament. Lighting the unused filament required that when the hi beam filament was active the lo beam filament had to be turned off to prevent the dual filament H4 envelope from overheating. Since Yamaha designed separate lamps for high and low beam they did not provide for the lo beam filament turn off. A few people made a fix for this. If you need this fix contact one of our members "bd43" to see is you can get this fix from him that will provide the proper switching. [MENTION=458]bd43[/MENTION]
You will need to confirm whether the lo beam shuts off as this mod may have already been done. :)