What gearing do you use?

bard

Secret Soi Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I talked to a gearing Guru who set up load of racers and stunter's gearing on bikes, and he recommended a stage 1 520 conversion for my FZ6 and my use, no real loss in top speed as the bike will be allowed to rev higher in 6th gear and more acceleration. Downside is higher fuel consumption (as if I cared) and higher revs.

The theory with 520 is the reduced rotating mass increases the torque and power to the rear wheel with about 5%, I have no idea if this is true but in theory it is.

Lot of people gear there bikes at the front sprocket, which is that last place you want to do it. Anyway I did not know what the stage 1 would be until I got the parts delivered. A stage 1 on the FZ 6 is same as stock front and 50 teeth rear so 0 front +4 rear, but with 520 sprockets and chain. I ran a calculation in km/h and my absolute top speed would now be 251 km/h vs the old theoretical of 274 km/h the bike did true 220 km/h before measured time/distance on a runway, you could squeeze more but in reality that was really it as I tested on 2 bikes.

Anyway I am installing it now and will do an extensive tour/test with it and see how it does in top speed.

I see a lot of people does gearing changes to the FZ6 so I was curious what is your gearing/results?

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I recently did the 520 conversion, with -1 at the front, and +2 at the rear... Your gearing guru is right... I in fact picked up top end as well as a truckload of bottom end grunt...I was told it was the lower rotating mass that does this.

Bike revs hard all the way to recline in all gears, rather than running out of breathe up top... Do it, it works!

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
the OP mentions a change in gas mileage. have you noticed a difference? is the main point of this to give you more torque or more speed?

Between the higher state of tune from the PCIII, and the gearing change...my fuel economy sucks...sometimes down as low as 180km's a tank, when i am really getting on it...

My motivation for doing it was to get more power lower down the rev range.

:thumbup:

opds9091

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Between the higher state of tune from the PCIII, and the gearing change...my fuel economy sucks...sometimes down as low as 180km's a tank, when i am really getting on it...

My motivation for doing it was to get more power lower down the rev range.

:thumbup:

+2 on wolf's statement. I also went with the 520 conversion (red chain) and -1 +2 some time ago. As far as fuel goes, I never really looked at how many miles to the gallon i got, but after speaking to a few people and seeing some people's post (i don't care cause it will only cost me {@ $3.29 gall} about $8-9 dollars to fill the tank) i see that i am getting about 30-40 miles to the gallon (i let it go to the flashing F and refuel). But, since i did the mid-pipe (cat removal) i now see that i am getting more miles to the gallon then before, and the bike rides smoother and quicker response to the throttle. So, when I go full throttle for top end i get there QUICKER but lose top end because the bike is screaming, but on the bottom and ESPECIALLY mid range the bike becomes a rocket. When i am on the freeway and the speed limit is 70mph and keeping up with traffic, I some times downshift and open up the throttle and goodbye traffic and the next thing i know i am doing 140-150mph and the RPM'S are around 12-13K and try not to stay at those RPM'S for long. This is only my opinion. I have no problem giving up some top end to get bottom and mid-range. This gearing that I have -1+2 is perfect for me and my everyday riding.

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on what Wolfy says. With stock gearing, you'd have a hard time getting to the top of 6th gear unless you have miles of straight empty road, so you wouldn't really realize the potential top speed of the bike. With taller grearing, you'd be able to get to the top of 6th a lot easier, although your "theoretical" top speed would be less.

+4 on the rear would be 3.125, which isn't that far from the popular -1 +2, which is 3.2