What effect will the credit crunch have on you guys?

PlasticPig

Reaction score
Visit site
A lot of my clients are so far up the economic ladder that fluctuations do not generally affect them but this time it is different, have noticed a lot of prospective work being put on the back burner as "the boss" has put a freeze on spending for the time being.

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
It will enable me to get a great deal (actually, an un-inflated deal) on a house! It is also a great time for market buying opportunities.

(this assumes the job stays around, of course)

Exactly. I'm in the process of buying a house, and interest rates have been dropping for the past couple weeks. Yay for me!

urbanj

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm far from retirement and I fortunately work for a municipal government in a rather rich city and my job is pretty secure (hopefully) in being I have a trained skill that no one can bump me just because of seniority.

I plan on bumping up my monthly contributions to my RRSP mutual funds while the market comes down and then resume normal contributions once the market rebounds. I don't own but I rent from a friend, 1.25 miles from work so I have many options and I feel my renting money is well spent for now.

Gopher

Potential Fireball
Reaction score
www.jamerspad.com
Well, the credit 'crunch' as its being called, has already hit my job... I work in a contract laboratory, testing samples we receive from the construction industry. Due to the recent downturn in construction projects, we've had to cut back on overtime... which effectively meant a huge pay cut for some of us....

...so thats the reason I'm reconsidering a second hand bike, as opposed to that shiney new fazer I had planned! :(

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
fwiw: buy used anyways...buy that 2008 or 2007 you were looking at from someone who bought it "without consulting the missus" haha. I only bought mine used because I had a used SV650 that was merciless with problems and I wanted the security of warranty and new...usually you can get great used bikes though! my bro got a 2005, 15K miles, and it's a CHAMP!

oh, and pay it cash...no credit, no payments. Buy it and have no debt....only buy what you can afford NOW if the crunch is hitting you.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
very funny pic, i love the iCan (i phones) I actually like the crunch since i just bought a house at a great price and got a great rate on it.

Now it can get fixed, and it will be the best for me ;)

wodger

Reaction score
Visit site
My local place drop a dime yesterday! Wow! We are now at $3.19, $3.49 just two weeks ago.

So howcome we are still paying a furtune for petrol? I was in the US a month ago on an RV trip and I was paying just over $4 per gallon (a killer at 4000 miles in a 8-10 MPG RV!!). If the prices over there have dropped almost a quarter... howcome ours havent over here!?!

wodger

Reaction score
Visit site
I dont believe it!! We were a month early on our trip then?!

I return to my question again... how is it that the gas "across the pond" has dropped a third yet over here we are yet to see a tenth of a drop. When I went on vacation I was paying £1.12 per litre, now I am paying £1.06.

fz6nick

I Love Lamp
Reaction score
Visit site
The company that I work for (Zebra Technologies) is a World wide printer company. Our warehouse makes the labels that go into those printers. Our little section went from making 2.5 mil in 2004 to making 11 mil in 2007. we keep growing and we have clients such as wal-mart, nintendo, and salvation army.

So I think my job is safe! Never ever know tho.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I dont believe it!! We were a month early on our trip then?!

I return to my question again... how is it that the gas \"across the pond\" has dropped a third yet over here we are yet to see a tenth of a drop. When I went on vacation I was paying £1.12 per litre, now I am paying £1.06.
Hi Mate,

Our petrol has 75% fuel charge levied on it. The Government will not change this or freeze it. Thats why our prices are so high.
It makes you wonder how little could be charged for the commodity and still produce a profit?

Nelly

mdr

Reaction score
Visit site
Credit crunch? What credit crunch? (Retired on fixed income) What hurts me is inflation. Seeing gas under $3.00 again and diesel nearing $4.00 may mean prices on groceries and stuff will be leveling out - at least for a while. That's good news for me.

Nooj

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't really have any savings so I'm not bothered about poor returns on them, my pensions will suffer, but they've been **** for years now.
Both houses are on fixed rate mortgages for another four years, so our payments and our tennant's rent won't be going up.
The company I work with makes security material for passports, visas, ID cards and driving licenses for governments the world over, which are pretty recession proof products so my job's safe.
Petrol and food are going down in price which is good.
The only thorn in our side is that the pharmasutical company my Missus works for is feeling the pinch, so her department are swamped with work from the smaller offices that have been shut down.
I wish I had a few hundred thousand laying around spare as there are going to be some bargain investments coming up, from stocks and shares, property and especially interesting to us: cheap bikes!

Maddeth

Reaction score
Visit site
I am a student bum working part time, so atm not effecting me, just waiting for house prices to fall for when i get a "proper" job