What does FZ stand for?

mongol777

Reaction score
Visit site
Yep, I know about Fazer name. So is consensus that FZ is short for Fazer?
What does Fazer mean?
Any other theories?

mongol777

Reaction score
Visit site
And while we on this topic - what does XJ, MT, etc stand for?
I wonder if Yamaha has a webpage somewhere with explanation

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
Gather round y'all, its story time.

In the 1980's a japanese motorcycle company by the name of Yamaha launched a new engine dubbed the Genesis. this engine was a 20-valve motor with 5 valves per cylinder (2 intake 3 exhaust) this engine was made famous by the fzx700 fazer (looked like a mini V-Max) which was as fast as the 1000cc bikes of the day except at top end. after the FZX yamaha began to use the Genesis in the FZR1000 supersport. this bike later became the YZF-R1. when yamaha launched the naked, detuned version of the R1 they decided that because it was a Genesis, the should call it the Fazer, FZ for short.

callmegandhi

IM4TH
Reaction score
Visit site
Gather round y'all, its story time.

In the 1980's a japanese motorcycle company by the name of Yamaha launched a new engine dubbed the Genesis. this engine was a 20-valve motor with 5 valves per cylinder (2 intake 3 exhaust) this engine was made famous by the fzx700 fazer (looked like a mini V-Max) which was as fast as the 1000cc bikes of the day except at top end. after the FZX yamaha began to use the Genesis in the FZR1000 supersport. this bike later became the YZF-R1. when yamaha launched the naked, detuned version of the R1 they decided that because it was a Genesis, the should call it the Fazer, FZ for short.

So it's not Favorite Zoo?

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Fokishuma Zeke - it means, quite literally, "F**K that's a nice bike"

Or something like that.....

(note - I neither profess to have more that a rudimentary understanding of Japanese, nor do I make any assertions to the accuracy of the above)

Cheers,
Rick

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Possibly related, on my Yamaha 4 stroke OB engine, its an F150, the "F" being for FOUR stroke, 150 HP. That's not a guess, thats what the dealers use for looking up parts, etc...

As for the Z, ??

Back in the old days early 70's AT1's (enduro's) mid to at least late 70's MX racing dirt bikes, "YZ's"