What does fazer mean?

I see 'fazer' after several bieks what does it mean...(sry i'm a noob)

First of all: :welcome::welcome::welcome:

Fazer:
Fazer
([ˈfatser]) is one of the largest corporations in the Finnish food industry.

However in the Yamaha world I think the name is meant to guide your thoughts against the star-trek fazer, - a high energy weapon both avalible as a hand held and space ship mounted model.

The FZ in FZ6 is short for Fazer, - and the 6 refers to 600cc ,- the engine size.

Star Trek uses Phaser as opposed to Fazer.

It seems to mean with faring. But that may just be the marketing men at work again.

Somebody must know.

Last edited:
Star Trek uses Phaser as opposed to Fazer.

It seems to mean with faring. But that may just be the marketing men at work again.

Somebody most know.
That makes sense, when you read the history of the Fazer in the Haynes manual. They say that the naked version is not a true Fazer. So I can see the "with fairing" theory working.

Nel

In spanish (and someone who speaks fluent spanish is welcome to correct me here) the word Faz can mean countenance ... Maybe that was the beginning, - they just made it more international by adding the er in the end.
This would also explain the wierd FZ abbreviation.

fazer um aparte means Inject in Portuguese .. and we do run injected ...
Again in Portuguese; Fazer means "To Do"

Last edited:
My guess is that it's what pronouncing 'FZ' gets you. The FZRs were called 'Fizzers,' colloquially.

I call my TT-R a Titter, my hubby's DR-Z the Drizz, my 150R the Arr, etc.

Not good for the TDM, which lends itself to 'Tedium.'

Wasnt one of Yamahas first sport bikes called the FZR?
Like the GSXR is a Gixxer, the FZR is a Fazer, like the TRD tacoma is the Turd and so on?

I call my pool sweep Dennis. Short for "Dennis the Menace" cause sometimes he gets into trouble. Errr... nothing to add regarding Fazer.

I'm gonna have to go with the Star Trek answer. Beam me up Scotty!! My little nephew didnt know what Star Trek was!!!! Are we that old?:confused:

dont know what a fazer means, but i can verify that the naked version is NOT called a Fazer on most parts of this planet and its referred as a FZ6....the Fazer name is reserved for the fairing version.

i think it has to do more with the fact the the naked version should give you the impression of a sports/street bike, ie with a alphanumerical name like the Z750,CBR's,GSXR's, and the fared version of a touring bike like the tenere/dakar/transalp/multistrada/veradero/africa twin named bikes

In the future Yamaha motorcycles were equiped with phased plasma rifles in 40 watt range.

edit: One POSSIBLE future, I don't know tech stuff.

Last edited:
i think it has to do more with the fact the the naked version should give you the impression of a sports/street bike, ie with a alphanumerical name like the Z750,CBR's,GSXR's, and the fared version of a touring bike like the tenere/dakar/transalp/multistrada/veradero/africa twin named bikes

Not necessarily. in the UK we have the Honda Hornet and Suzuki Bandit which are both naked. In fact most budget naked's have names rather than letters. Aprilia Shiver, Ducati Monster, Suzuki Gladys etc

In fact Yamaha seem to have gone against the mould naming their naked streetbike the FZ6. The Honda VFR is 'affectionately' known as a Viffer. I think i'm getting random here. Help

I've never seen the US models officially labeled as Fazers. I think it was the previous versions which were Fazers here.

I've gotten use to seeing our FZ6's referred to as Fazers mostly just because of this site. I very rarely ever think of the word Fazer when thinking of my bike, and usually refer to it as my FZ6 or just FZ for short. I also avoid any after market parts which say Fazer on them.

Last edited:
Back