What do you think is the greatest song of all time; and why?

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Everyone knows who Led Zepplin is and everyone knows who the Beatles are. They have been gone for 30 years. Do you think anyone will know who Korn is in 30 years time? Lets face it, music peaked in the '70s and has been down hill ever since. The '80s were decent. but when grunge started in the '90s I could here the toilet flush. Apparently melody and harmony are foreign concepts to these modern rock bands. Don't get me started on Rap. Most who Rap do so because they can't sing.

Working man by Rush...is that acceptable for you? You're a grumpy dude!
________
NIckyLuv live

Last edited:

buickttype

Reaction score
Visit site
Red Barchetta by Rush, one day goverments may try to take away our gas guzzling cars. Besides Rush is one the greatest bands around

H

HavBlue

now I realize it is REALLY hard to just pick one and a top 3, 5, or 10 list would be easier

lets try to pick just one.... see what you started Botch

I did pick one, White Christmas and so far I have yet to see a song that would even qualify as an also ran when compared to it. The best or greatest song of all time would have to be loved and enjoyed for all time as well. Many of the songs posted here are simply those that will pass by and be some what forgotten as time moves on.

In terms of record sales (single) the song done by Elton John known as Candle in the Wind but used as a tribute to Princess Diana sold 37 million copies. This is followed by White Christmas which has sold 30 million copies. In terms of album sales, the Eagles greatest hits 1971 thru 1975 has sold 29 million and counting.

So, how can we argue with the folks that are putting their money on the counter? We can't and the numbers prove who is truly on top.....

H

HavBlue

Update to the post above. Watching the Boston Pops tonight, Keith Lockhart, their conductor, stated the single of White Christmas sung by Bing Crosby has sold 50 million copies making it the greatest song of all time in terms of sales......

buickttype

Reaction score
Visit site
50 million copies is a lot, but I am not one of the 50 million because I do not listen to that kind of music it does not matter how great it is even if it is as my wife puts it "it's a classic"

poorwboy

Reaction score
Visit site
I cant answer that question, there are so many great tunes and bands.
But heres a good one.

[nomedia]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKX2rZa-56Q[/nomedia]

H

HavBlue

50 million copies is a lot, but I am not one of the 50 million because I do not listen to that kind of music it does not matter how great it is even if it is as my wife puts it "it's a classic"

To be the greatest at anything, the song, car, bike, tool or whatever, would have to have had an impact on the masses. So, while in this case we are dealing with a song, that song would need to have the greatest impact on the largest number of people. With that in mind, the only way to possibly determine greatness would be to determine which one sold more. Each of us may have our own personal choices and they may all be great but only one can be the greatest.

mikebike

just a rider
Reaction score
www.crazyguyonabike.com
To be the greatest at anything, the song, car, bike, tool or whatever, would have to have had an impact on the masses. So, while in this case we are dealing with a song, that song would need to have the greatest impact on the largest number of people. With that in mind, the only way to possibly determine greatness would be to determine which one sold more. Each of us may have our own personal choices and they may all be great but only one can be the greatest.

Havblue..... while your logic may be correct to determine the greatest song...it goes out the window with the question asked here:

What do YOU think is the greatest song of all times?

it is a subjective answer based on our own personal preference....

to you-- White Christmas

to me -- Stairway to Heaven

:rtfm::D

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
um, yes.....I think everybody will know who Korn is in 30 years. If I remember correctly, the thread was, "what do YOU think is the greatest song of all time." I posted the songs that I think are the greatest songs of all time. I don't really care for Led Zeppelin, I do like The Beatles. I agree with your comment about rap, but why pick on my opinion.......what's your motivation? I was born in 1981, so naturally, when I started listening to music, it was late 80's, early 90's. Everybody grows up with a different era of music and that was mine.

This was not directed at you personally and I am just using a modern band like Korn as a comparison. I don't particularly like Led Zepplin either, but their impact on rock puts them light years ahead of any modern band... Beatles are ok, but how about them as song writers?... does any modern band come close? I think not. Anyway, I was talking fame and talent over time. The Eagles Greatest hits Vol 1 is still the best selling CD/album of all time (I Googled it). I am saying the quality has had a big decline since modern pop/rock era began. We can make a comparison if you like. Which member of Korn can write like Elton John, perform like Mic Jagger, Sing like Dennis DeYoung or Freddie Mercury (who by the way can hit 4 octaves), play guitar like Eric Clapton or Jimmy Page, or play the drums like Neal Peart from Rush? What Genre do you hear at weddings and/or social functions?.... the '70s. If the Eagles are selling more Cds/Albums today than Korn... what does that say?

Last edited:
R

Raid The Revenge

There's also Gaiaseed (Japan only), Ghost in the Shell (Japan Only), Ellen Dritter Gesang (Ave Maria),....

J

jsteinb95

This was not directed at you personally and I am just using a modern band like Korn as a comparison. I don't particularly like Led Zepplin either, but their impact on rock puts them light years ahead of any modern band... Beatles are ok, but how about them as song writers?... does any modern band come close? I think not. Anyway, I was talking fame and talent over time. The Eagles Greatest hits Vol 1 is still the best selling CD/album of all time (I Googled it). I am saying the quality has had a big decline since modern pop/rock era began. We can make a comparison if you like. Which member of Korn can write like Elton John, perform like Mic Jagger, Sing like Dennis DeYoung or Freddie Mercury (who by the way can hit 4 octaves), play guitar like Eric Clapton or Jimmy Page, or play the drums like Neal Peart from Rush? What Genre do you hear at weddings and/or social functions?.... the '70s. If the Eagles are selling more Cds/Albums today than Korn... what does that say?

I think you missed the whole point of this thread. When did we start talking about "the greatest BAND of all time?" Just because The Eagles have "the best selling album of all time" doesn't mean I think it's the greatest. Who cares how many albums they've sold.
FYI, I've heard just about everything at a wedding: hip hop, rock, country, rap, even mariachi.

R

Raid The Revenge

Probably Ave Maria too...that's a popular funeral song. Especially in Italy.

grommit

...M
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I think you missed the whole point of this thread. When did we start talking about "the greatest BAND of all time?" Just because The Eagles have "the best selling album of all time" doesn't mean I think it's the greatest. Who cares how many albums they've sold.
FYI, I've heard just about everything at a wedding: hip hop, rock, country, rap, even mariachi.

Well said.

People often confuse popularity with best and beauty with good, thats why villains are always ugly in films and TV. Life is of course much more interesting.

J

jsteinb95

Well said.

People often confuse popularity with best and beauty with good, thats why villains are always ugly in films and TV. Life is of course much more interesting.

LOL.....there's always 1 person on the forum that will ruin a thread, just because they don't agree with it. :thumbup:

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
LOL.....there's always 1 person on the forum that will ruin a thread, just because they don't agree with it. :thumbup:

Back to the thread then... personally I don't have a greatest song of all time. But based on record sales, longevity and popularity, I'm willing to bet if the world would vote today it will be a song before 1980...

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
song name: elderly woman behind the counter in a small town - anyone know the artist? :D One of my favorites for sure...

But based on record sales, longevity and popularity, I'm willing to bet if the world would vote today it will be a song before 1980...

28 years vs. all years pre-1980...yeah, I'd take that bet too.
________
TASTYLIKEPEACHS

Last edited:

Mattberkshire

Reaction score
Visit site
I can't believe my simple question inspired such debate. The whole point behind the question is what is YOUR favourite song. I love many different songs for many different reasons. Mine are mostly old, indeed most were before I was born. Modern music is just reinvention of what went before so therefore modern musicians REALLY have to try hard to better what has been recorded in the past. For the record I would state a few more:

In the Ghetto - Elvis. Almost makes me cry
Freebird - Lynyrd. Like, wow. As above but not for the lyrics but for the beauty of the noise those guys make as a band
Stairway to Heaven - Led Zeppelin. Just......because
Baba O'Reilly - The Who. Those boys make a good noise
Freedom Rock - Frank Black. I love everything by Mr Black but this is my fave.

To me sales makes no difference. R&B sells millions but leaves me cold. I don't understand it. It's rubbish as far as I'm concerned as is most rap, although I like Public Enemy, some Run DMC. I tried to like Eminem but his constant drug references piss me off. Sales is nothing, quality is everything in this thread. As I said, what is your favourite song of all time. Anyway, I've just thought of a new one:

We are the Champions - Queen. Cos Freddie was the best frontman ever and Brian the best guitarist:rockon:

pedwards89

Reaction score
Visit site
Every now & then some institution will run a " best song/ album/ band in recent history"

Stairway is always there, as is Imagine, Bohemian Rhapsody, something from Pink Floyd usually Money. And then, in the UK anyway, there will be a heap of stuff that's currently in the charts; Robbie Williams or whichever sh*te has just won the latest talent show.

I grew up in the 70's & firmly belived that 'Disco sucked'. But there was just such great music & diversity back then. 'Top of the Pops' was THE TV music show back then; My enduring memory of watching bands on TOTP was they were having fun. Sorry JStein, I watched the KORN clip & just thought they were taking themselves far too seriously, I guess if I had just listened to it I might have appreciated it.

My 'greatest' gotta be Zeppelin, Stairway is too obvious, but there is such a lot to choose from: Rock n Roll; I can't quit you; Whole lotta love; Since I've been loving you; Black Dog; Bring it on Home; Trampled underfoot.

All of the above:rockon: