What do you all do for a living?....

krid80

journeyman of epic status
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
I can't believe I haven't posted here!

Well my day is like this:

I roll into work sometime between 9:30 and 10am and clock in. Then I will help push about 20 motorcycles from inside to outside. Usually I will then go outside and ride ATV's for a bit. After that it is time to click onto Yamaha FZ6 Forum Community and see what kind of trouble people have gotten into. Perhaps OMG_WTF has found something to freak out about that I can let him know is totally normal. "Boom, problem solved!" After saving the world, I make sure my guys have plenty to do for the day and that if parts have arrived for a job, we get to work on it.

Around 12:30 I go pick out a motorcycle to demo and go on "lunch hour." Fifty minutes later I hit a fast food joint and fly back to work to eat at my desk. Usually there are several customer issues that need to be handled. No big deal.

"I am sorry sir, your bike is not done. I know you need it by yesterday, sir, but your parts are coming from Austria. No, I have no way to track them but I assure you we are ready to drop everything and take care of YOUR problem as soon as parts arrive." Boom! Problem solved.

More Yamaha FZ6 Forum Community

At some point in the afternoon I will go practice wheelies in the big gravel lot on a used sport atv or something like that. Really relieves stress. "Got that bike done? Cool. Let me go make sure it will still go top speed."

About thirty minutes to quitting time, I will go push motorcycles and ride atvs one more time.

I also have paperwork and stuff, but usually that can wait. I don't need it stressing me out. At least not to the point that it takes more than wheelies to cure.

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I can't believe I haven't posted here!

Well my day is like this:

I roll into work sometime between 9:30 and 10am and clock in. Then I will help push about 20 motorcycles from inside to outside. Usually I will then go outside and ride ATV's for a bit. After that it is time to click onto Yamaha FZ6 Forum Community and see what kind of trouble people have gotten into. Perhaps OMG_WTF has found something to freak out about that I can let him know is totally normal. "Boom, problem solved!" After saving the world, I make sure my guys have plenty to do for the day and that if parts have arrived for a job, we get to work on it.

Around 12:30 I go pick out a motorcycle to demo and go on "lunch hour." Fifty minutes later I hit a fast food joint and fly back to work to eat at my desk. Usually there are several customer issues that need to be handled. No big deal.

"I am sorry sir, your bike is not done. I know you need it by yesterday, sir, but your parts are coming from Austria. No, I have no way to track them but I assure you we are ready to drop everything and take care of YOUR problem as soon as parts arrive." Boom! Problem solved.

More Yamaha FZ6 Forum Community

At some point in the afternoon I will go practice wheelies in the big gravel lot on a used sport atv or something like that. Really relieves stress. "Got that bike done? Cool. Let me go make sure it will still go top speed."

About thirty minutes to quitting time, I will go push motorcycles and ride atvs one more time.

I also have paperwork and stuff, but usually that can wait. I don't need it stressing me out. At least not to the point that it takes more than wheelies to cure.
My first dream job:
To be the one that warms up the MotoGP bikes in pit lane - Brmmm Brmmm Brmmm Brmmm Brmmm Brmmm - quite hypnotic really
My 2nd dream job:
To have Krid80's job :BLAA:

jbwaterman84

Born to ride
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm a residential electrician. I do everything from wiring new houses to remodels to custom AV and security systems. If it runs off electricity, I install it. Lots of fun, been doing it for almost 3 years now. But its all just a means to an end, been looking at schools for motorcycle mechanics, my true passion :D

krid80

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
Mine was mostly a joke.

All of those things do happen, but to quote the Manager "I am lost when you aren't here"

I am not the Service manager but I do his job.

Scorphonic

No Man is an Ireland.
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm a breast cancer researcher.

Dead tough job and honestly cant wait to be finished with it. PhD ends in 6 months and will be looking to get a job in a medical/industrial position...

Maybe do some time as a sales rep for a science firm, or become a lab manager somewhere....

All I know is, i'll do anything for money (legal that is!) and in two years i'll be over in the USA looking for another job...wife to be wants to go there in 2012.

Scorphonic

No Man is an Ireland.
Reaction score
Visit site
maybe Elizabeth can help you find a job in St Louis! I'd love to have an Eyerish riding buddy. :welcome:

Sorry for asking the following question...but who's Elizabeth? Whoever you are Elizabeth, hello and nice to hear about you...and if you can aid in my job hunt when I'm going to be moving over I'll be most grateful! :)

Never thought about that...that would be great, getting a motorbike in the US...probably will have to resit my exams again, not sure if an EU licence is accepted to have exchanged into a US licence.

krid80

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
Sorry for asking the following question...but who's Elizabeth? Whoever you are Elizabeth, hello and nice to hear about you...and if you can aid in my job hunt when I'm going to be moving over I'll be most grateful! :)

Never thought about that...that would be great, getting a motorbike in the US...probably will have to resit my exams again, not sure if an EU licence is accepted to have exchanged into a US licence.

http://www.600riders.com/forum/bar/28454-what-do-you-all-do-living-4.html#post293316

The MC test here is a cakewalk compared to UK. A written test and a parking lot test and you are all done. After that you can ride any bike with no restrictions.

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm a full-time mechanical designer (almost 10 years now), part-time engineering student (finishing up my 5th year of the part-time gig). Hopefully in a couple years I'll be able to call myself an actual engineer.

rbesr

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm a lab rat. I've worked in an engineering lab for an electric utility company for the past 33 years. My title is Senior Analyst. The company thinks it sounds good. I think it says I've been here waaay too long!

buccs40oz

Reaction score
Visit site
work full time at a waste water treatment plant, Reserve police officer, and i also drive a tow truck at night when not doing the other 2. hopefully soon just a regular Officer. putting in the ap tomorrow

Jez

Reaction score
Visit site
I used to run a small aid project in Zimbabwe back in the 90s, and more recently have been working as a writer and editor in the adventure travel industry. In recent years we've seen the growth of 'voluntourism' - holidays where people spend a week or two working alongside the locals to 'help make a difference'. While these tend to be for the most laudable of motives, the actual benefit to the societies involved is frequently negligible, and often outright damaging; British gapper working for free ends up taking a week's work from a local who is probably better qualified.

Some of these things are breathtaking exercises in marketing cynicism. The travel companies involved are only interested in using the projects as publicity so they can claim to be 'Responsible Travel' companies. They even give themselves awards at the end of each year where they all engage in subtle forms of travel oneupmanship: "When I was in Namibia with the Bushmen..." "When I lived in Bhutan with a women's knitting co-operative...", "When I paraglided through the Congo on an organic cotton ethnically sourced hang-glider made in Swaziland..." Yadda yadda yadda.

One of the best ones I encountered was a so-called clean water project for rural Laos. Sounds good, no? Quarter of all under 5s in rural Laos die from entirely preventable diseases caused by water pollution. So what did this company do? They went to Bangkok, bought an office water cooler (you know the ones - the big plastic bottle on a fountain thing), drove it 500km to Vientiane, then another 300km into a rural area, and formally presented it to a school. Cue lots of photos of sweet ethnic minority kids in national costume queueing up to get their drink of clean water. But hang on... what happens when it runs out? Well, we'll just go back to Bangkok and buy another refill.

But they cost 600 baht. Who's going to pay? Oh, we'll sort it out. And then drive it 800km. For one school. For a week. Meanwhile, in the next province, Water Aid New Zealand are digging boreholes, putting in bush pumps, constructing sewage systems, and generally doing everything right in order to supply a small town. Does the travel company know? They do now - I just told them. Do they want to work with the New Zealanders? Well, Water Aid NZ has said that it can't unfortunately offer any free advertising for said travel company since they are a charity, so travel company declines to work with them. Meanwhile, somewhere in rural Laos, an office water cooler sputters out its last drop and expires with a sigh. It'll sit, empty, in that corridor, for a few months, until someone decides it'll make a nice cage for their hens, or something.

So I'm pretty jaded by all this stuff, and have decided to get some professional help. I applied to do a masters degree in International Development at UEA, which is meant to be one of the best places. Had an interview yesterday, which went well, I felt. I was stoked on coffee and roll-ups, so by the time I entered the room and met the interviewer, I opened my mouth and it all came out in a huge rush: "Blaaaaaaa...Development...Aid Work...Zimbabwe...Corruption...Water Resources...Trade deficit...Globalisation". After a few minutes I slowed down and stole a glance at the interviewer; he was leaning back in his chair with a slightly stunned expression, looking like a man who'd just been hit by a developmental tsunami. "Very impressive," he muttered softly. So I was feeling pretty positive about it all, anyway.

I get an email this morning from UCAS that says, ominously: "Your status has changed." Has it? Why hasn't anyone told me? How has it changed? This seems a rather foreboding development. I have to jump through assorted hoops on their website to find out what the hell's going on, and there in the corner of page 4, in tiny red print, Click here for details. I click. And it takes me to...

Unconditional Offer

They gave me a place. I did it :D . I'm going to be a bloody student again :rockon:. At the grand old age of 36 :Flip:. I reckon they just bit my arm off. :thumbup:

So if I may be allowed a period of sober reflection, I have only this to say:

:BLAA: