What do I test ride??

OneCheekRider

One Cheek On The Seat!
Reaction score
Visit site
Just found out the Yamaha truck is next to my work. I signed up for the Fz-09 and can't decide if my other ride should be the fz-07, FJR, or something else. Super tenere is booked too late so that is not an option for me although I wish it was.

Glad I came to work today!

f551a9fe39caead15e5051cde05022cc.jpg

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've ridden all of them and FJR is the only one I love (in stock form). Highly recommend you take that one for a spin.

OneCheekRider

One Cheek On The Seat!
Reaction score
Visit site
Well I did the FZ-09 and the FJR. Not sure there's much I can say that hasn't been said about either bike, but I can definitely see myself on a FJR...

FZ-09
527466e667bc92e9d44d4082a8a1ea79.jpg

FJR:
211f1def958325e2b18b35ff58421cb2.jpg

FZ-07:
229110749ee18a863f32841c4cc25d10.jpg

ICE CREAM!
26199eaf83b3decbd6869a02641d960f.jpg

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
Those bikes look awesome. They need to do something like that by me!

As a side note, the FJR just seems too... touring-y to me. I'm sure it's a lovely bike to ride, but it's just not my style. I'd definitely take one of the naked bikes though. My buddy works at DuPage Honda and Yamaha and he was so close to buying an FZ-07, but talked himself out of it.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've ridden all of them and FJR is the only one I love (in stock form). Highly recommend you take that one for a spin.

Agreed, the FJR, BUT in the SPORT MODE, much quicker acceleration..

Pull the side bags off (one lever) and its a different bike, considerably more flickable.. I only put my bags on for long road trips.

How was the heat around your legs on the FJR, much to speak of, little, lot?

Last edited:

OneCheekRider

One Cheek On The Seat!
Reaction score
Visit site
I rode the FJR ES with the electronic suspension. While looking quite large parked next to the other bikes at the event (with the saddlebags on), I didn't feel any additional heft while underway. I was very impressed with the power and handling and while the ride was short, i was able to quickly play with the suspenion settings. I could feel the difference changing compression from hard to soft. The ride was quite pleasant in the soft setting and changing was quick and easy should you decide to get more spirited. I also tried out the cruise control and electric windshield, both of which I would LOVE to have on any street bike. The bike got up to 200 degrees while sitting and I didn't feel any excess heat hitting me, although i wasnt on the bike for very long. I did notice there was considerable wind protection on my legs as compared to my FZ6. If I ever move out of the city and get a bigger garage, this will definitely be on my list.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Agreed, the FJR, BUT in the SPORT MODE, much quicker acceleration..

Pull the side bags off (one lever) and its a different bike, considerably more flickable.. I only put my bags on for long road trips.

How was the heat around your legs on the FJR, much to speak of, little, lot?

I know you're asking OP, but from my demo experience (have ridden FJR 3 times now), the heat is no worse than on my FZ1 and definitely not as bad as on Concourse.

FJR is still very high on my list of "want to own one day" bikes.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
No problem Eric,

I liked my 04 gen I alot, it was just too friggin hot down here. I couldn't ride it half the year. Winter time it was great, nice and cozy, summertime, hell on wheels..

The gen II's and then gen III's (2013 and 2014) did a bunch of updating to the air management.

I've rode a gen II and heat was slightly better. Haven't rode a Gen III yet. Kinda waiting to see what the 2014 color will be..

And yes, for a sport touring bike, it more sport, than touring..

We'd easily put 250 miles a day on the bikes up in the Smokies when on vacation..

Last edited:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
where was this? and how do you guys find out about these things, would love to ride a fz-9

Check local dealer websites. They likely have event and sale email sign-ups. If not, you can call them and ask if there are any demos scheduled in near future :thumbup:

Besides that, there are usually bike weeks.. Americade is pretty close to you and I think there's a Yamaha demo there this year.

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
Anyone ride the Tenere? Curious to an FZ6 rider's review. OP mentioned the Tenere.
I took a S10 for a quick run once, girl swap thing. Its a nice ride. I won't mind having one in the garage for sure. Feel a little heavy to me but very comfy...

Little side note on the FZ09. Yamaha have a flash upgrade out that apparently fix all throttle issues. I won't be surprised if they make it part of their 2015 fleet.

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Should have tested the the Z07! That's what I'm most interested in trying, I know the 9 will be fine but the 7 is supposed to be extremely light.

I have to look into some test drive events

drumbum

Reaction score
Visit site
Anyone ride the Tenere? Curious to an FZ6 rider's review. OP mentioned the Tenere.

Oldish thread, but I went to a demo day and tested just about every bike they had. TI went for an fz1 and fjr, unfortunately they didn't have fz1s -_- The Tenere (with electronic suspension) was without a doubt my favorite bike. It's got such a plush ride and is so comfortable. Way better than the FJR IMO. It has tons of power, the 2 cylinder is remarkably smooth. The seats are incredibly comfortable. and the ergos are very relaxed. I got back on my fz6 afterwards and it felt like I was on a supersport. The pegs felt incredibly high and like I was tucked in. The S10 is super relaxed, Probably because standing up on an adv is commonplace so they make it spread out. Somehow the pegs weren't low to the ground, and the seat wasn't incredibly tall, but my legs were pretty straight. Def a top contender for my next bike, but I do have some issues swallowing the price tag :p

Feel free to PM me for more details. I can't say enough about the S10, would make an excellent tourer/commuter