What did I do wrong?

PVFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
The other day I was practicing emergency braking. Normally I do this in second gear, but then I thought what if I need to slam on the brakes and I'm in 5th gear.

I tried it and did not have any problems stopping. Obviously I did not down shift while stopping. Once stopped I had some trouble getting the bike back into first gear. It went in without a problem, after about 20 seconds of sitting still.

I don't think anything is wrong with the bike, I am just wondering if I am supposed to do something different when practicing emergency braking.

I love my FZ!:D

fazer.rider

Reaction score
Visit site
it's easier to downshift when stopped if you slowly let out the clutch a little. you will hear a "click", pull the clutch back in then you can downshift. repeat same procedure to downshift until you are at 1st gear.

Last edited:

Stumbles06

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
it's easier to downshift when stopped if you slowly let out the clutch a little. you will near a "click", pull the clutch back in then you can downshift. repeat same procedure to downshift until you are at 1st gear.

Good points there mate :thumbup:

The other thing you could try, is (if you have room in front of you), roll the bike slowly forward (holding in the clutch) as you change down through the gears. The bike doesn't like being stationary whilst changing more than 1 gear.

:rockon:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Good points there mate :thumbup:

The other thing you could try, is (if you have room in front of you), roll the bike slowly forward (holding in the clutch) as you change down through the gears. The bike doesn't like being stationary whilst changing more than 1 gear.

:rockon:

Yeah, no expert on this, but the gear box needs to have a load on it, to change gears smoothly, or at all....so being stationary, and not revving the bike, sends it no message re getting it's act together, and changing cogs!

:thumbup:

scottsst

Reaction score
Visit site
Just like stumbles said thats what fixes it most the time ! what happens is the shift fork in the trans gets pressure on it and it has a hard time getting free.

Last edited:

cv_rider

Reaction score
Visit site
First off - smart move on practicing emergency braking. That can be pretty exciting stuff. I've had my nearest incidents of almost dumping the bike doing it.

What you are describing is a well known "feature" of the FZ6. Numerous us of have experienced, most commonly when downshifting through multiple gears without releasing the clutch when coming to a stop. You end up in some higher gear, not necessarily realizing it, then stalling as traffic is either backing up behind your or worse, bearing down on you. Rev the motor a little, release the clutch till the engine bites, then downshift. Works every time. But it will never happen if you release the clutch while downshifting, and its always a good idea to be in the appropriate gear for your speed in case you need power quickly.

PVFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the help. As soon as it gets above the 30's again I'm going for a ride.:thumbup:

DaveOTZ

Reaction score
Visit site
This will happen on most bikes with a sequential transmission... Its like trying to change gears on your bicycle...

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
The next step is making sure your downshifting while braking, as others have said you want to have power on hand, and its all very well doing an amazing emergency stop and ending up in 5th gear when the truck/fwd behind you hasn't practiced in a few years (or ever) and is about to turn you into a human pancake if you don't get out of there.

Its also not a FZ6 feature as Dave said, its common on alot of bikes. Rolling the bike forward or back a certain distance will let you change the gears though.
Being in the right gear at the right time is as important a skill as emergency braking.

PVFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
The only time I don't down shift is when I am trying to stop the bike as fast a possible. Is it proper to down shift while practicing the "panic stop"? I was under the impression that you should just pull in the clutch and squeeze the brakes without downshifting during a panic stop.

Would it be benificial to pull in the clutch and knock down the gear shifter, while practicing?:confused:

ELIZABETH

Goofball Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, you should downshift while doing your emergency stop. In real life, your emergency is something in front of you making you go from 60-0. The car/truck behind you may not be so alert, so you need to be able to hit the gas again to get out of his/her way, if needed. During the Motorcycle Safety Foundation class, it was a requirement during the stopping test to end up in first gear when we are stopped.
Glad to hear you are practicing stops! :thumbup:

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, you should downshift while doing your emergency stop. In real life, your emergency is something in front of you making you go from 60-0. The car/truck behind you may not be so alert, so you need to be able to hit the gas again to get out of his/her way, if needed. During the Motorcycle Safety Foundation class, it was a requirement during the stopping test to end up in first gear when we are stopped.
Glad to hear you are practicing stops! :thumbup:

^ This

Because we are so vulnerable you always need to be in control.