What America used to be...

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I just returned from Coco beach Florida for a mini vacation and to strike an item off my bucket list. I went to Johnson Kennedy Space Center... As a child I wast absolutely enthralled with the space program (especially the Apollo missions). Any you Americans that have forgotten what America can do should seriously visit Johnson Kennedy Space Center or Huntsville Alabama... Now, I am the type of person that nothing fazes me and I never get excited much over anything these days... However, when the doors open to the hall of the Saturn V, I nealy fell over. I was literally moved to tears... There in front of me was the business end of the largest most powerful rocket ever flown... I am trying not to be too mellow dramatic here, but....

I was in awe of what America (and some 400 Canadian engineers) can do if they (we) really wanted to.... this was 1969. Now guns, war, greed.... wtf happened... I am moved to tears again, but for another reason...

*EDIT*... Maybe the title should have read "What America & Canada used to be"

Last edited:

Cuba

Reaction score
Visit site
I just returned from Coco beach Florida for a mini vacation and to strike an item off my bucket list. I went to Johnson Kennedy Space Center... As a child I wast absolutely enthralled with the space program (especially the Apollo missions). Any you Americans that have forgotten what America can do should seriously visit Johnson Kennedy Space Center or Huntsville Alabama... Now, I am the type of person that nothing fazes me and I never get excited much over anything these days... However, when the doors open to the hall of the Saturn V, I nealy fell over. I was literally moved to tears... There in front of me was the business end of the largest most powerful rocket ever flown... I am trying not to be too mellow dramatic here, but....

I was in awe of what America (and some 400 Canadian engineers) can do if they (we) really wanted to.... this was 1969. Now guns, war, greed.... wtf happened... I am moved to tears again, but for another reason...

Wow quite the anti American sentiment there. You should open a history book rather than watch MSNBC, if you recall 1969 had quite a bit more war, greed, and guns than we do today. :rolleyes: Someone close this pointless thread

Cali rider

Reaction score
Visit site
I went there last year for the first time. It was everything that you described. A friend of mine that lives in Palm Beach has been in FL for 11 yrs and has never taken the opprotunity to witness a live shuttle launch, even though it's only a 2-hour drive away, really pisses me off!!

An odd coincidence is that I have the same picture taken from the exact same position as yours on my phone, it freaked me out to see this!

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I went there last year for the first time. It was everything that you described. A friend of mine that lives in Palm Beach has been in FL for 11 yrs and has never taken the opprotunity to witness a live shuttle launch, even though it's only a 2-hour drive away, really pisses me off!!

An odd coincidence is that I have the same picture taken from the exact same position as yours on my phone, it freaked me out to see this!

Thanks John.... what makes it even more impressive is that all this was done without computers or even a hand held calculator... They used slide rulers...

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Wow quite the anti American sentiment there. You should open a history book rather than watch MSNBC, if you recall 1969 had quite a bit more war, greed, and guns than we do today. :rolleyes: Someone close this pointless thread

You missed the point of my post completely my friend.:spank:

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I took it as a negative comment too. Review your post and I think you'll see what we mean.
If it does have a negative vibe it certainly was not meant the way you took it... Even then, did you not notice I include "we" (Canadians) as well? I have to say Canadians need to take a look at them selves too. We all need to learn from this nasty economic state we are in. If we all felt the way they did in 1969 when pride was the driving force that motivated people, maybe things would be a world better than they are now.... I was commenting on our greatest generation and what they accomplised....:thumbup:

Last edited:

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

good thoughts man.. ive seen Kennedy Space Center and it is pretty awesome.. Makes you think about how crazy it was that people got into space using slid-rulers and computers with less computing power than my cell-phone..

CdnMedic

Reaction score
Visit site
War, and the threat of it is what caused the space race. the fact that our (I mean canada and the US) largest enemy was able to put something in orbit before we managed to really made us work together to get supremecy in the new frontier.
Everything in life pretty much in a basic way relates back to sex and war, it's the way it is.
Sure, they might be our greatest generation but thats because it is what was required of them, this generation could get it's **** together too if it had to, but alot seem to be spoiled rich kids.
However I would love to go and see the Kennedy Space Centre and it is on my "bucket list" along with seeing a shuttle launch... I kinda wish CNN would call it the "Canadarm" because that is our contribution, instead of just the "robot arm".

W

wrightme43

Oh and the freaking dumbasses that decided to stop rockets and go with the shuttle idea. ARRRRGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!

Workhorse rockets, then build it in space, then use constant boost to mars and back.

Easy less than 90 days there and back WITH A FREAKING LIGHT SAIL!!! Sometimes as short as 10 days. We should have colonists living under the surface of the moon, mars should have at least a research station and a space station orbiting right now.

We have been boondoggled and screwed on our space program.

The moon is the answer to at least a solid 1/3rd of the earths problems.

cv_rider

Reaction score
Visit site
Sometimes it seems like yesteryear's achievements are greater than todays because they are so visually impressive. I love going to railroad museums - the monstrous steam engines of the early 1900s give me chills. Somehow, today's engineering marvels like billion-transistor computer chips (the industry I'm in) don't stir the blood as much. Looks like an unappetizingly crunchy Saltine.

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site

Pennsylvania isn't even america.