Welding machine help

fazil

Reaction score
Visit site
I need a welding machine to build a shad to my garden.
I'll use 3mm box metal profiles.
I found an affordable 130 Amp inverter welding machine.
Brand name: Fimer X134 (max electrode diameter is 2.5mm)
Is it enough for welding 3mm profile?

FO,2460,24,fimer-x-134-mma-inverter-kaynak-makinesi-kaynak-makineleri-fimer.JPG

I have no experience with welding by the way.

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
http://www.fimer.com/uk/download/catalogo2009.pdf

I could not find that model but it looks like what we would refer to as an ARC welder. Some call them a Stick welder as you weld with metal type filler rod that burns away into the weld with flux like substance around it.

Off hand, this it not the easy technique to learn and can be highly unfriendly welding vertically or upside down. The thinner the metal gets, the harder it is to keep from burning it up. 0.125" (2.8mm) steel can be challenge with an ARC welder. Meaning LOTS of PRACTICE. Its not something most people just do in 15 minutes of practice. Yet, Increase the metal thickness to 0.25" and many stand a fair chance of being successful on flat surface. Vertical will be a challenge...

Begin by confirming your power source (house power) matches the device requirements. Here residential power is Single Phase, 120V AC but there are two such lines to every home. Effectively giving us 240V AC Single phase with a disconnect of 200 - 300 Amps at the panel.

- Pick a device. The easiest thing to learn is shielded gas or MIG welding. However, the welder will cost much more and you need compressed gas like argon. But they work WAY better on fine gauge steel as it has better temperature control and it feeds filler wire from a spool vs a stick that burn off. These welders can used without gas and use a special wire. It works, but its a little harder without the protective gas. But the machine is much less expensive.
. (General Engineering) metal inert gas welding: a method of welding in which the filler metal wire supplies the electric current to maintain the arc, which is shielded from the access of air by an inert gas, usually argon.
Pull up some utube vids on ARC and MIG welding. Stick welding thin metal can be very tricky as it just burns through leaving holes in the parts you wish to join.

There are lots of videos on the web about welding. Take a look and see. Is there anyway you can BOLT this together using brackets? Here the wind would be very hard on structure that does not flex (a welded joint structure).

Last edited:

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
More thoughts:
Have you ever tried to tow a giant heavy trailer, maybe a LARGE boat with a family sedan?
- Yes, some can do it and they might get to a location safely. But its bad idea and very nerve racking.
- A larger truck designed to carry/pull/brake/stop heavy loads is a better choice.

WELDING:
Although small under powered welders can weld and do so OK, they have to have the conditions be perfect to accomplish this. Bigger is better and having greater CURRENT (AMPS) behind the welder usually makes them weld better.
Here and at home: A 220/240V AC welder will 9X out of 10, start easier, deal with minor imperfections, and produce better welds than smaller welder of 120V AC class.
- Also people try to use the little ones on long extension cords and this further degrades their performance. POINT: A more powerful USED welder could be better choice than an economy/cheap welder.

Last edited:

fazil

Reaction score
Visit site
Final, thanks for the info.
House power is 220V AC here. I came across mig welding while searching for beginners advices, but they seem more expensive.

You prefer more amps than 130 as i read your advice. But this means more money. :eek:

May be i can find a cheap mig welder, i should search more.
Do you think mig welder is better for 70/70/3mm box steel profile welding?

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Final, thanks for the info.
House power is 220V AC here. I came across mig welding while searching for beginners advices, but they seem more expensive.

You prefer more amps than 130 as i read your advice. But this means more money. :eek:

May be i can find a cheap mig welder, i should search more.
Do you think mig welder is better for 70/70/3mm box steel profile welding?

Misunderstanding. I don't think you need 130 AMPS connection. But 220V AC will almost always weld better than lower voltage 120V AC.

Most circuits for home use welding here would use a 50A AMP circuit breaker but it depends on the welders design and requirements. Make sure your choice takes this into account.

Look for: MIG - wire feed, unshielded (no gas) but flux wire welder. See what you find.
If you get one with a gas setup, you can weld SS too.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
3mm steel is NOT that thin.

You could use either welder on it. You'll have to practice a bit more with the arc welder.

I built most my MC trailer with the below Lincoln 235 amp stick welder (50 amp breaker) but the frame was 3/16" (overkill). I've had this welder 35 years, it was grandfathers before I got it and was likely 20 years old then...

The Hobart is a 135 wire feed (110 volt). It uses shielded wire (no gas-not enough room in the garage). I use that for light to very light stuff.

The fenders (much, much less than 3mm) were the only parts MIG welded on the trailer.

Last edited:

fazil

Reaction score
Visit site
I wish i had the ability to make a trailer like that.
So, a simple arc welder is the way to go for a beginner you mean.
By the way, Fimer X134 arc welder specifications mention that, Tig weld is possible with that machine. I don't know details.

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I wish i had the ability to make a trailer like that.
So, a simple arc welder is the way to go for a beginner you mean.
By the way, Fimer X134 arc welder specifications mention that, Tig weld is possible with that machine. I don't know details.

Thanks, (decades literally) of practice.

The MIG, between the two, is easier on very light stuff. For heavier material, you'd need a MUCH LARGER MACHINE than a 135, 110 volt.

The 220 Stick has sticks of various widths so you can weld thinnish stuff (a bit trickier) but exceeds in heavier materials. Thicker material, thicker stick. I have welded SS with a special stick with the arc welder(made for SS).

If you can TIG weld with that other machine, you have MUCH MORE CONTROL. It takes much more practice and does require gas(different gases for different materials).

I was just learning how to TIG weld back in the 70's when I worked in a machine shop. I know the basic's, but that's about it. If I had the room, I'd have one...:thumbup:

Post #18; http://www.600riders.com/forum/garage-mechanical-help/49304-changing-tires-zip-ties-2.html , I made a tire bead breaker using both welders, mostly the stick.

Last edited:

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
3mm steel is NOT that thin.

Nope its not, but if you've never welded a stitch in your life AND your going to weld vertically and upside down on tubing that likely has gaps in it, lets be real here and call it like it is - an ARC welder is NOT the best approach.

Given the situation, you'll have far batter control with MIG welder which you also pick the wire size and tip size but there are limits as to what the little machine can push.

FWLIW; I've been welding since i was kid too. Was certified for many years too. Its not a skill you forget. But ARC has its places and this isn't one of them if you trully expect it to be successful.

If you have high school shop class, see if you can talk to the instructor and run a few beads on both machines. Its worth your time to get some hands on experience before making a choice.

BloodsweatnGears

Reaction score
Visit site
I learned on a hand me down buzz box that I had to make new leads on . LOL
From there I have picked up a nice Lincoln mig that I gas up but have had to use flux and it did fine.

I dont necessarily see the problem in learning on a buzzbox. Its harder to start but once you can arc you are good to go!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Nope its not, but if you've never welded a stitch in your life AND your going to weld vertically and upside down on tubing that likely has gaps in it, lets be real here and call it like it is - an ARC welder is NOT the best approach.

Given the situation, you'll have far batter control with MIG welder which you also pick the wire size and tip size but there are limits as to what the little machine can push.

FWLIW; I've been welding since i was kid too. Was certified for many years too. Its not a skill you forget. But ARC has its places and this isn't one of them if you trully expect it to be successful.

If you have high school shop class, see if you can talk to the instructor and run a few beads on both machines. Its worth your time to get some hands on experience before making a choice.

He's building a garden shed of some sort. Its NOT a high rise building..

3mm material will take some pretty good heat before burning thru. As you probably know, there are sticks for welding upside down as well. 1/16" or so, different story..

Practice with either welder will be needed. Steadyness is of utmost important with either machine.

He was trying to do it on a tight budget. Either will work with practice...

Been there, done that..

Some research and the depth of his wallet will probably help him decide..

fazil

Reaction score
Visit site
I found this machine below
with a reasonable price: ($150)

Einhell BT-IW 150 - 150 Amp Inverter (TIG) Welder

[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Einhell-BT-IW-150-Inverter-Welder/dp/B009AS463K/ref=pd_sxp_f_r/278-6447518-3502563"]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Einhell-BT-IW-150-Inverter-Welder/dp/B009AS463K/ref=pd_sxp_f_r/278-6447518-3502563[/ame]

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Under the reviews is this;

4 of 4 people found the following review helpful
3.0 out of 5 stars This is not a TIG (Tungsten Inert Gas) welder as ...
This is not a TIG (Tungsten Inert Gas) welder as described.
Should be MMA (Manual Metalic Arc) using Fluxed Welding Rods - you can get cheap versions of this kind of welder for about £40

Published 3 months ago by Tim C Lovell-Smith

Says its has a TIG option but I don't see any options to convert it.

All the pic's shown with it indicates its an arc welder. No foot (heat) control for TIG either.

I'm not familiar with the brand and don't know the quality. If you decide to go with an arc welder, "Lincoln" has been around for ever and is about bullet proof. If you can find a good used one, it generally works or it doesn't. Hobart also makes a good welder.