weight transfer

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
ok i know this plays a role in preventing tires locking and it is something to be aware of for threshhold braking. but where else does it play a role?

i am speaking of intentionally shifting the weight of the bike forwards or backwards through the process of acceleration or deceleration. Also, shifting your own personal weight around forwards and backwards accentuates this.

apparently it is also helpful when riding over an obstacle which you had been unable to avoid by swerving. i guess youre supposed to acelerate as you pass over it to keep your weight on the back wheel.

but how true is that? and how true is it in regards to preventing your rear tire from locking? would you ever move physically back and take your butt off the seat to help you get more of your weight further back to help you with stronger rear braking? i guess there are some situations when you want to use your rear brake instead of your front brake in some emergency situations where the bikes balance is borderline to begin with (slippery surface? over-engine-braking?)

so ill sum this up into a few concise questions to summarize what im getting at:

1) in shifting the weight of the bike forwards gradually to prevent the front brake from locking....should you also move your own body weight forwards as well?

2) in which emergency situations should you get up off your seat and move your body as far back as possible to get more rear brake potential?

3) in which other situations can you think of that moving your body forwards or backwards would be helpful?

4) in which situations (other than hard front braking in emergency stops) is it important to shift the weight of the bike forwards through use of the front brake?

5) in which situations is it important to shift the weight of the bike itself towards the back wheel through acceleration (either gentle or abrupt)?

thanks to all who take the time to reply

cheers~

W

wrightme43

Smooth is the key.

Hook up on Reg Pridemore's Smooth Riding the Pridemore way. Or Kieth Codes Twist of the Wrist II not I but II.

oldfast007

Thread Killer
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I can't answer all specifically, however I do know that must of us who do not have a lot of professional training do some sort of weight transfer as more of a survival instinct than a control process. It is natural to avoid what we term a potential hazard by moving away from the trigger, meaning leaning to avoid a hazard. This can be good with the correct method, disastrous without. I tend get forward on fast a sweeper and somewhat neutral on a tighter radius corners.

I feel that our bikes weight distribution is set up fairly even, so using a more lateral weight transfer for cornering helps keeps both ends firmly planted, of course after braking for the intended corner.

I do know from my own experience that staying loose not tense can really help in almost any situation, as has been said smooth is everything!

oldfast007

Thread Killer
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Oh wait! I forgot, good weight transfer is key when launching into a nice long wheelie!! :Sport:

H

HavBlue

Like Steve said, smooth is the key to it all. Riding in anything but a straight line on a smooth surface is all about shifting weight and movement of the body. It may also involve posting up (standing) like rail road tracks, speed bumps, pot holes and obstacles you may one day have to jump like a 2x4 in your path. Standing on the pegs will lower your center of gravity. It's amazing how well bikes like the cruisers or baggers can brake but then again they have more weight on that rear wheel hence the reason it takes more effort to actually lock it up. In all cases weight transfer or body English can either help you or hurt you if it is done wrong. The best thing to do is practice and when you think you have it, practice again because the day you really need it in terms of braking or swerving you won't have time to think about it, only the time to apply it.

sideslider

Reaction score
Visit site
5) in which situations is it important to shift the weight of the bike itself towards the back wheel through acceleration (either gentle or abrupt)?

wheelies maybe?

W

wrightme43

wheelies maybe?

Or that 4x4 that fell off the truck to your right and is skittering across the interstate.

Exiting a corner.

Most bikes (sport) attempt a 50/50 wieght dis. frt/rear.

The tires handle a load best of traction forces split 40/60 frt/rear.

Leaned you transfer wieght to the rear to get that 60. Its a light smooth roll on. Snapping the throttle shut will overload the front and underload the rear. Snapping it open will underload the front and overload the rear.

I screwed up once in a parking lot. I was leaned way way over at low speed in first gear. I touched down the peg, and jumped. I twisted the throttle way back and somehow instead of wrecking the bike twisted up the front tire a little. We gots lots o' traction, just be smooth with it and it will reward you. The frt/rear balance takes care of its self with the throttle and the brakes.

In emergency situations sit up high. It makes a longer lever arm to rotate the bike and helps to keep it down.

fz6nick

I Love Lamp
Reaction score
Visit site
In an emergency situation, or any time, 75% of your braking power is the front brakes.

I had to ride over 2x4's in the motorcycle safety course I took. They had us stand up and lean back and square the bike up to it. We slowed down until we got to it, and accelarated smoothly over it if I remember right.

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
In an emergency situation, or any time, 75% of your braking power is the front brakes.

I had to ride over 2x4's in the motorcycle safety course I took. They had us stand up and lean back and square the bike up to it. We slowed down until we got to it, and accelarated smoothly over it if I remember right.

Yep same thing here.

Why don't you get a 2x4 and try it in a parking lot? A 2x4 is small, you can go over it no matter what but with proper weight shift you'll feel the difference. Just make sure you're perpendicular to the board. If it moves, move it back; don't try to go over it at an angle.

damnpoor

Reaction score
Visit site
I screwed up once in a parking lot. I was leaned way way over at low speed in first gear. I touched down the peg, and jumped. I twisted the throttle way back and somehow instead of wrecking the bike twisted up the front tire a little. We gots lots o' traction, just be smooth with it and it will reward you. The frt/rear balance takes care of its self with the throttle and the brakes.

I keep it in second when in parking lots (except when coming to a planned stop) just so I can avoid that jerk/unwanted excess throttle. There's nothing I'm doing in a parking lot that needs so much acceleration I can't be in second, and it helps me make sure I don't mash on the gas as an accidental reaction.

People said to shift weight if you wanna do a better wheelie, but I think it would also help to shift weight forward when accelerating hard to keep the front on the ground better. It might help the front wheel stick a little more if you need to do any unplanned maneuvering while hard on the throttle, and keeping more weight on the front would hold the front down so you can accelerate harder without flipping over backwards.

Last edited:

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Or that 4x4 that fell off the truck to your right and is skittering across the interstate.

Exiting a corner.

Most bikes (sport) attempt a 50/50 wieght dis. frt/rear.

The tires handle a load best of traction forces split 40/60 frt/rear.

Leaned you transfer wieght to the rear to get that 60. Its a light smooth roll on. Snapping the throttle shut will overload the front and underload the rear. Snapping it open will underload the front and overload the rear.

In emergency situations sit up high. It makes a longer lever arm to rotate the bike and helps to keep it down.

i dont understand what u mean about the lever arm and sitting up high. you mean move my weight up higher vertically? wont that make everything more top heavy and therefore less stable?