Weight carrying fuel efficiency.

extreme601

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm taking a trip to Center Parcs soon and I've heard about their legendary vehicle theft/breakage problems so I've bought a HEAVY security chain to lock my bike with.

I'm planning on carrying this in my topcase, and I was wondering if it will make any difference to my fuel mileage. I suspect it won't be enough to matter, but was wondering what you guys think because the idea interested me :)

Thanks!

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
A couple of lbs won't matter much. You might go from say 44.7 to 44.5 mpg.

Edit: For me, how well I kept my right hand in control, and what kind of driving I do seems to impact it more than weight.

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm taking a trip to Center Parcs soon and I've heard about their legendary vehicle theft/breakage problems so I've bought a HEAVY security chain to lock my bike with.

I'm planning on carrying this in my topcase, and I was wondering if it will make any difference to my fuel mileage. I suspect it won't be enough to matter, but was wondering what you guys think because the idea interested me :)

Thanks!

How about looking up a place in Center Parcs and seeing if they have the chain of your choice and purchase it there. That way you only have it in tow after Center Parcs....Probably not that much extra fuel anyway. :D

extreme601

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback, some excellent points raised. The 5 or 6 kg difference on top of a 200 kg bike and a 70kg rider probably won't change it all that much :p

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
In my experience weight doesn't make much difference.

a heavy wrist and cruising at 80 mph kills fuel economy! :BLAA:

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
A couple of lbs won't matter much. You might go from say 44.7 to 44.5 mpg.

Edit: For me, how well I kept my right hand in control, and what kind of driving I do seems to impact it more than weight.

Ditto here for a small amount of weight. I've kept track of my mileage for the last 27k + miles and the biggest impact on mileage was riding style. Type of gas, smaller front sprocket, aftermarket exhaust, and even weight (I've lost about 8lb training for a marathon) all had a negligible impact on mileage.

Shifting at lower RPMs and cruising in a higher gear gave me at least 2 mpg.