Weekend ride report w/ pics

RyanK

Reaction score
community.webshots.com
Wow!!! Where to start?!?! This was the first time I've done anything like this (a trip with the guys for more than a day), and it was amazing. Thanks to Grady for the great companionship! Sorry your couldn't make it Stacey... Near perfect roads (a few mile bad stretch btw Mt. Mitchell & Asheville) and perfect weather the whole time (albeit a little cool today in areas). You'll notice there aren't too many scenery shots. That is because we were riding. We covered just shy of 800 miles in these 2 days, a total of 17 hours riding nothing but 2-lane twisties!!! These roads flow SO well, and traffic was pretty minimal, surprisingly to both of us. It was really neat riding thru so many different types of forest, fields, pastures, and meadows. Just gorgeous the whole time; words can't describe the beauty of this country the Lord created. Before the next trip (this may now be an annual ride...) I'll most definitely have a camera mount made for my handlebars, allowing for hand's-free picture taking while riding.

We started off renting a 16' Budget moving truck 1-way from G'ville, SC, to Harrisonburg, VA (near Front Royal).

We loaded our bikes in the back On Thursday night (7-23) after work.

We headed out on a beautiful Friday morning!!!

We unloaded our bikes & headed for the hotel, getting sprinkled on for a minute, but that was it. Not even enough to show on the roads. The Quality Inn we stayed at in Front Royal was very nice, with a free breakfast to boot! It cost me a whoppin' $11.50 since I had some points on a special credit card. I would recommend it in a heartbeat, as I think the regular price is only $65 a night.

RyanK

Reaction score
community.webshots.com

The next morning (Sat. 7/25) it was off to ride Skyline Drive. Didn't realize it was going to cost us each $10, but oh well. WELL worth it! Also didn't know the speedlimit was only 35 mph for the full length, but that was fine too. (since we didn't see any rangers...)

If you see any black dots on the pics, looks like something is on my camera lens, it the knats. They were HORRIBLE!!! We were constantly cleaning our visors off every chance we got, which wasn't often enough (about 4-5 times a day).

After finishing Skyline Dr., we fueled up and headed straight for the BRP (Blue Ridge Parkway).

Lets see...as far as exciting moments go, I nearly hit a deer (it's head no more than 12" from my handlebars!!!) and Grady hit a small pile of gravel, but fortunately it was before a curve and not in it. The BRP road conditions in VA are most excellent, although there are an awful lot of crossroads in the middle section but not much traffic on them.

RyanK

Reaction score
community.webshots.com
Here's where we stayed the 2nd night. Cheap lodging ($59 for the night), but the restaurant was pretty expensive, even with the 10% discount for staying...

I don't know that I"d recommend it though. IT was in the middle of nowhere, and it was OLD. It had the old smell, and the saggy mattresses to prove it.

I had a feeling this morning as we headed out that we needed to watch for deer. It just seemed like one of those mornings. Sure enough...

RyanK

Reaction score
community.webshots.com
some scenery...

Here's a crazy sign you see once in a while:

And this afternoon we completed our goal destination with the threat of afternoon showers, which proved to be non-existent. Grady doesn't have any raingear, and thought about heading home at 215, but he decided to brave it on with me. GOOD THING!!! This is one of if not the best sections of the BRP from 215 to Cherokee!!! Man was that fun, as you'll see from my tires below!

RyanK

Reaction score
community.webshots.com
Did I mention the bugs?

This is just from after lunch in Asheville

I LOVE these Bridgestone BattleAxe BT-016 tires!!! The multi-compound tires stick!!! Look at how soft the outsides of the tread are!

Barely any chickenstrips (edges of tire that hasn't touched pavement) left on the rear. I've had them all the way to the edges, but not enough to wear hard there...

Front has a little ways to go, but you can see I've been real close more than once...

Here's all my gear. I spared you the boxers, but you get the idea. I never used one pair of boxers or my long underwear pants. It was warm enough that I didn't need them, but I most definitely needed the jacket liner that I forgot to put in this pic. All this in my bag (top) weighed in just under 20 pounds, a little lighter than I thought.

I'd like to thank the following for making this all possible:
- Our Triune Father God, creator of all things beautiful, and provider of all (including funds)
- My wife for allowing it
- Grady for the companionship and sharing
- Travis James for teaching Sunday school for me

This was a trip neither of us will ever forget!

Maps:
Truck ride there Friday:
from:moody bridge rd & geer highway,sc 29635 to:35.751458,-82.625771 to:235 Hughey Rd to:Jupiter Rd/NC-1756 to:3311 south main st., harrisonburg, VA‎ - Google Maps
Short motorcycle Ride there Friday:
from: 3311 south main st., harrisonburg, VA‎ to: 38.916348,-78.185835 - Google Maps

Riding day 1:
from:10 S Commerce Ave, Front Royal,VA to:Skyline Dr to:Skyline Dr to:Skyline Dr to:Skyline Dr to:E Main St/US-250 to:Blue Ridge Pkwy to:Blue Ridge Pkwy to:Blue Ridge Pkwy to:Blue Ridge Pkwy to:Blue Ridge Pkwy to:Hardy Rd/VA-24 to:Blue Ridge Pkwy to:

Riding day 2:
from:10486 Us Highway 21 S, Glade Valley, NC 28627 (Nikolas Restaurant) to:Blue Ridge Pkwy to:Blue Ridge Pkwy to:Blue Ridge Pkwy to:Blue Ridge Pkwy to:Idlewild Rd to:US-221/US-421 S to:Hardin St/US-221/US-321 to:Blue Ridge Pkwy to:Blue Ridge Pkwy to:

gearheadstu

Reaction score
Visit site
Wish I'd known you were up in the area. I was out playing around on the Parkway around Little Switzerland all day Saturday. RideRep of my own coming, likely this evening.

RyanK

Reaction score
community.webshots.com
Wish I'd known you were up in the area. I was out playing around on the Parkway around Little Switzerland all day Saturday. RideRep of my own coming, likely this evening.

I remember coming thru Little Switzerland stuck behind cars on Sunday morning. I was bummin' 'cuz it looked like a really fun section.

I would've given more notice to y'all, but I didn't have much myself. We've been planning it, just waiting for the right weather.

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
Ryan,

Be sure to apply for the certificate now that you have rode the entire parkway. I think we have talked about this before, but if not, check out the Blue Ridge Parway website for more info.

Dad and I were talking about this again last night. I think we are going to go from end to end here in the next month or so.

Congrats and thanks for sharing!

-bryan

dturpen

Gamer/Bike Enthusiast
Reaction score
Visit site
Very cool Ride Report! Thank you so much for sharing. I love my FZ, but DAMN, that Z1000 in black is teh SEX! Looks like you had a lot of fun, I would love to go up that way some day.

staticghost

FZ6 Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Ohhh man this is a life...opean road and fellow riders to share the experience with. Awesome. Am glad you had a blast. Good for you.