• No Wave - F#@% the Police!

Votes: 10 11.5%

• Total voters

oldfast007

Thread Killer
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I waved at one once, it took him almost 2 miles to catch me and wave back, he had something pink in his hand when he waved at me too, I think it was summons?? I do not wave unless waved to first...:BLAA:

niben001

Reaction score
Visit site
whatever, ill wave. I can't tell its a cop till i've already waved sometimes anyway. the state troopers here have brown bikes.

PS. I think ALL police should have the same car type and color, at least give us a chance! :Sport:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I would'nt wave to a cop under any circunstances....once you take one hand off the bars in Oz, they have an excuse to book you for "hoon riding".....i kid you not!

jsw4178

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I wave/nod at almost all cops just because I respect police officers (if not the individual). Most don't wave back but oh well.

Most likely because they are not used to it and paying attention to other things. I have friends tell me they waved at me and I never saw them because I was looking at something or someone else.

jsw4178

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
"Suspicious behavior." After drilling me about where I was going, where I came from, etc. He let me go without a warning or anything. He said being "overly friendly" to officers makes it look like you're trying to cover something up.

I still wave to firefighters, even though they don't have motorcycles.

:(:confused:

fzme

Reaction score
Visit site
There have been a couple waving conversations here, and other places... Some do. Some don't. Some wave to 'their kind'. Some wave only if waved to first...

Maybe it's a little dramatic, but it's a win/lose game out there--cars win, bikes lose, and an acknowledgement from a fellow rider, whether they are a cop or not (hey buddy, I see you) is a reminder to me that I'm not the alone out there in the cager chaos. That said, it's nice to be friendly, but it's not always practical to take your hands off the controls... I nod.

codeblue

winter soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Mixed reviews here, some wave others don't.
I just like to acknowledge a fellow biker, cop or no cop.
With that said, with cops I like to just give them a nod and not really wave.
Like others have mentioned, I don't want to seem too suspicious.
But really, for me it just feels geeky for me to wave to a cop so a nod they get.
BTW, I sometimes wear a refective vest over my jacket. Happens to be the same exact brand and color that most local cops wear. With that on, they all nod back. Wonder if they think I'm an off duty officer on a bike.?!?!?!

Last edited:

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I always wave/nod or have a chat to them at lights , they are all still bike riders :thumbup: Most of them have their own bikes aswell & on days off they do exactly what we do so i find them far more lenient towards our bad habits :D than a caged copper..... As a matter of fact , I find myself nodding/waving at all emergency service vehicles coz i never know when one of them may save my life :thumbup:

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I just remembered when I last saw a bike cop.

I was on holiday in Cape Town in December and I was out on a ride on this gorgeous twisty road along the coast, averaging about 6 feet above sea level. I was riding briskly but not recklessly when this cop came sweeping past me in a bend. I accelerated to keep up with him and followed him for a good 15 minutes before we stopped at a light.

We exchanged greetings and I commented on the road we had just ridden. He said (with a big grin) that this was his ride to work and back every day and that he was very lucky to be a bike cop!

My bike has noisy Akros on and a tiny numberplate but he didn't give it a second glance.

On the way back I saw one of his colleagues berating some people sitting admiring the view with a bottle of wine and snapped his bike.

IMG_6224.jpg

Signal 50

Reaction score
Visit site
I wave. Last week a motorcycle cop showed up to a bike night I was at. He knew his way around bikes. Showed us all the cool stuff on his HD he used for work and was pretty knowledgeable about all the different makes and models of bike. I don't know anyone who does the job, but I would have to imagine you have to be passionate about riding to be a motorcycle cop, so the wave comes first.

abraxas

Biker
Reaction score
www.thinkbike.co.za
They're becoming more common here, because of the obvious benefits.

We have another oddity too, the outsurance motorcycle pointsmen, or Traffic Free Flow as they call themselves. Basically "sub contract" to manage interesections where there is a signal light failure, unfortunately VERY common in these parts. (since our speedy's are incapable of doing anything other than soliciting bribes and eating take out on duty).

They are just pointsmen, using small 125 bikes and scooters, but they do a damn good job!

I was there this morning, we're starting to organise for the toyrun, and i've just given them 100 (i'm hoping for 200) teddy bears to take with on their journeys to give to the many street children around our city. And mothers who beg for money who have small kids with them.

Traffic Freeflow

Al Capone used newspaper delivery vans to move alcohol, i'm using pointsmen to deliver toys!!!
:BLAA:

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
PS Andz ... are those the new hondas that speed wobble?
;)

Not sure about that but he was riding those twisties like a train on rails! I'm talking about the road from Camps Bay to Hout Bay. Obviously if he rides it every day he has local knowledge but he was sending it and I was having to ride hard to keep up. Speed limit be damned! :spank:

sxty8goats

Reaction score
Visit site
They're becoming more common here, because of the obvious benefits.

We have another oddity too, the outsurance motorcycle pointsmen, or Traffic Free Flow as they call themselves. Basically "sub contract" to manage interesections where there is a signal light failure, unfortunately VERY common in these parts. (since our speedy's are incapable of doing anything other than soliciting bribes and eating take out on duty).

They are just pointsmen, using small 125 bikes and scooters, but they do a damn good job!

I was there this morning, we're starting to organise for the toyrun, and i've just given them 100 (i'm hoping for 200) teddy bears to take with on their journeys to give to the many street children around our city. And mothers who beg for money who have small kids with them.

Traffic Freeflow

Al Capone used newspaper delivery vans to move alcohol, i'm using pointsmen to deliver toys!!!
:BLAA:

Didn't notice those guys while I was there. I did notice the 'taxi' service. Friggin crazy those guys. 15 to 20 people packed in a minivan weaving in and out of traffic like a NASCAR fan on a binge.

sxty8goats

Reaction score
Visit site
Those were the law-abiding drivers then.

Yea. Honestly, everyone I met while I was there were really cool people. Color of skin didn't matter with the one to one interactions I had. But J-Berg creeped me out. Every building surrounded by walls and razor wire. Always told not to go out at night alone and I had to go through guarded gates to get to and from just about anywhere. It felt like a pretty, friendly, prison. I kept wondering where the dangerous people were, who was I guarded from? Everyone was so cool that it made the gates/walls and razor wire all that more ominous.

robaho

Reaction score
Visit site
I wave at 'em....
Funny story - I was riding in the city last month and saw a motorcyclist parked alongside the road. I accelerated quite rapidly away from an intersection and gave the guy a wave as I went by. It was not until I was right in front of him that I realized I had just waved at the local motorcycle cop. Fortunately, he did not have the radar turned on as I rolled past him at 5mph over the posted limit. :)

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yea. Honestly, everyone I met while I was there were really cool people. Color of skin didn't matter with the one to one interactions I had. But J-Berg creeped me out. Every building surrounded by walls and razor wire. Always told not to go out at night alone and I had to go through guarded gates to get to and from just about anywhere. It felt like a pretty, friendly, prison. I kept wondering where the dangerous people were, who was I guarded from? Everyone was so cool that it made the gates/walls and razor wire all that more ominous.

Where exactly where you?