Water in my clocks any suggestions??

toadfish

Reaction score
Visit site
I have noticed my clocks slowly gettting more and more dull and now i can hardley see anything on them, i have noticed condensation/ water in the clocks and was wondering if anyone has had this problem?

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
On nights I've left the bike outside and uncovered I see droplets under the lens so yes. Kinda.
Is it damaged anywhere with a open crack to allow moisture in? If so, sealing that may be enough.

This may not help but you can't seal it solid as temperature and elevation change will always cause condensation and fogging. The best thing you can do is find the vent - (it must have one) but it may simply rely on the air coming in from around the connector. The goal would be to give it vent like an inverted snorkel - kind of an upside down capital J such that that breather would never have water in it. You need dry air to circulate through it and it shouldn't fog.

teeter

Frank Zappa the 6th
Reaction score
Visit site
What year is the bike and what conditions has it experienced? I'm not sure where Oakum is. Is that slang for some place?

My 2006 is pretty much always out in the rain/sun/snow/dust/ice/locusts and this hasn't happened to me yet. Of course, now I'm convinced it will. :Flip:

I've seen a few used instrument pods pop up for sale from folks that have totaled their bikes. If you want to try replacing it by going this route try searching for "part out" or "part-out."

Good luck!

nabaah

Reaction score
Visit site
Just unhook your cluster and put it in a ziplock bag half full of uncooked white rice and then close it up. Let it stay in there over night and the rice will dry it out. I've used this on a few cell phones. Always worked for me.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Put it in the microwave!!!

Lol I'd actually like to see what would happen to one I the microwave

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Just unhook your cluster and put it in a ziplock bag half full of uncooked white rice and then close it up. Let it stay in there over night and the rice will dry it out. I've used this on a few cell phones. Always worked for me.

Funny I was gonna suggest sealing it in bag of desiccant but that hardly seems like a solution unless it was submerged recently. . .

As for the oven - My Cel phone went in the Dog's water bowel about 2 years ago. It was deep! I pulled the battery and put it in the oven on 175F for 3 hours. It ran another year and was upgraded. It was enough to trigger the dye dots as the kids knocked it in and didn't know or care so it stayed a while. . . :rolleyes:

toadfish

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys

Iv taken my speedo (clocks) off and had it drying with rice for few days and still nothing they have gone completley blank. i found a very small crack in the casing which im guessing is from the previous owner when they ropped the bike. i think im going to have to bite the bullett and buy a new speedo. Found a smart looking one on ebay Digital Speedo Speedometer Gauge KOSO D64 (neutral light) speed sensor / magnet | eBay.

Mite get this and give it a go. Anyone know if they are easy to wire in?

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
Kind of like closing the barn after the horse is out but: STAY AWAY FROM HIGH PRESSURE WASHES! (They can put water in places where it shouldn't get to! ie; Seals, cables, electronics, bearings, bushings, etc...)
Occasionally I also rub a dab of an Armor All wipe on the two buttons, (Reset/Select), to help keep them soft, pliable and safe against U/V. JMO

toadfish

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah i stay away from pressure washing close up to any electrics only use a fine mist to get any suds off. Im thinking of getting the new spedo and mounting it central to the front of the bike and fingers crossed this one doesnt f*#k up.