Was going to get a new bike today but...

QwickFliCk

Manly Man Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I really want the 2013 ninja 636 in white! So I went to the Kawi dealer I used to work at n got a killer deal if I traded in my girl's '09 klx250 supermoto. They would've given me $2800 for her bike n $1500 off dealer cost of the 636! I was about to pull the trigger until I called up two insurance places n got the best quote of $3500 a year for full coverage and $1600 for liability only! I wasn't having just liability on a brand new bike... My heart dropped! I was forced to reconsider cuz that's more than a third of the cost of the bike w tax included...my dreams for the slipper clutch,traction control, and >180mph top speed were crushed:(:( rant over....

And Of course I was gunna hand down my fz6 to girl. My age n where I live played a huge impact on these theiving insurance agencies!:spank::spank:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to hear it, Ant. :(
Yeah, age, marital status, credit history, home ownership.. all of those affect rates a lot. Supersport will always be a lot more though, even under perfect circumstances.

why_not_Zoidberg?

Reaction score
Visit site
Hot damn that's quite the insurance rate...My speedy isn't considered a sport bike somehow and only costs me ~200/year w/ a multi policy discount. What agencies did you check? I have Allstate, huge price drop from my old Progressive. Also, NY taxes suck.

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
Hmm. Did you call your actual agent? I called the main office when I got my fz they said 150$ a mo. I hung up and called my actual agent, she said 100$ now, 65$ a month full coverage.

I have a ****ty driving record also...

Flat_FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Hot damn that's quite the insurance rate...My speedy isn't considered a sport bike somehow and only costs me ~200/year w/ a multi policy discount. What agencies did you check? I have Allstate, huge price drop from my old Progressive. Also, NY taxes suck.

Just the opposite for me, progressive and geico are way cheaper. Either way, a SS is super expensive for me to insure.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Thieving insurance companies? You mentioned the bike can do 180 mph. There is a reason that insurance companies profile you based on age and location. They study statistics on motorcycle crashes. A computer runs the risk analysis for an area based on your age and other life factors that may influence the way you ride the bike. Let's face it. No one buys a super sport to do the speed limit. Especially if they are under 30, single with no kids. :D

When I bought my FZ6 I was 25 but full coverage on it was 60% cheaper than it would have been on an equal model year R6.

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
I really want the 2013 ninja 636 in white! So I went to the Kawi dealer I used to work at n got a killer deal if I traded in my girl's '09 klx250 supermoto. They would've given me $2800 for her bike n $1500 off dealer cost of the 636! I was about to pull the trigger until I called up two insurance places n got the best quote of $3500 a year for full coverage and $1600 for liability only! I wasn't having just liability on a brand new bike... My heart dropped! I was forced to reconsider cuz that's more than a third of the cost of the bike w tax included...my dreams for the slipper clutch,traction control, and >180mph top speed were crushed:(:( rant over....

And Of course I was gunna hand down my fz6 to girl. My age n where I live played a huge impact on these theiving insurance agencies!:spank::spank:

so i guess it wont ruin your day to tell you that the 636 wont do 180+mph. it might be capable of 170mph actual but thats all your gonna get from a 600. literbikes, stock, are only capable of ~180mph and no 600, no matter how modded is going to outrun a 1000 on the top end.

now for some sympathy:

thats ridiculous. you should go see another insurance company. you should be able to insure 2 sportbikes for less than that each year.

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
That's pretty insane at around $300 per month for insurance. I has comprehensive on my new Camry and it was $120 a month. My buddy has a pimped out G37 coupe that he only pays $130 a month, his record is cleaner than mine. I wonder what the STi guys or the Beemer guys pay per month for their rides that are 2-3 times the bikes value.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Dang. I'm paying $230/year with State Farm! :eek:

Guess that's the second advantage of being an old fart (the first being, discounts at Dennie's!!!!! :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :BLAA:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Try State Farm, they go by the size of the bike, not the class. Being it's a 636, I'm betting that they will be the cheapest company to insure with.

I pay $140 a year for full coverage for my FZ. I just got quoted for a new 2013 Ducati Multistrada, a $25k bike and that's only $262 a year. Idaho, got to love it!

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Try State Farm, they go by the size of the bike, not the class. Being it's a 636, I'm betting that they will be the cheapest company to insure with.

I pay $140 a year for full coverage for my FZ. I just got quoted for a new 2013 Ducati Multistrada, a $25k bike and that's only $262 a year. Idaho, got to love it!

Progressive is the same way. But they also go by class of bike.

I have a 1636 CC cruiser and the insurance on it is only 10% more than the FZ6 and I only pay $14/month to insure the FZ6 full coverage with $250 deductibles. Being over 30 with only one moving violation in my entire driving career really helps as does owning a home and being married. If I was in Idaho I'd probably only pay $7/month. I'm an hour from DC and the closer you are to a major metro the higher the insurance.

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site

the FZ is considered a standard though, as is the Multi. understandable the multi is more with 2x the displacement. generally though there are jumps in rates at 600cc and 1000cc. they probably also have demographics as to which kinds of people tend to buy what brand/style of bike. plus the # of years experience comes into play. my old man has been riding for 35+ years with no accidents, and very few (if any) tickets on the bike. Im insured through his policy for now but he pays like 400 a year for himself and a 21 year old with a deathwish (since im young and own a murdercylce). so thats pretty stupid cheap.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
$40 a month for F/C on the Fiz through Nationwide, no medical coverage as thats through work. Plus they allow you to insure for comp only for 4 months of the year $11 a month when the weather succzz. Single policy, good credit.

dschult2

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, those supersports are a bitch to insure, especially if you young or have points.:banghead: One thing I have heard though is it pays to shop around for motorcycle insurance. It can vary quite a bit from one company to another.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Progressive is the same way. But they also go by class of bike.

I have a 1636 CC cruiser and the insurance on it is only 10% more than the FZ6 and I only pay $14/month to insure the FZ6 full coverage with $250 deductibles. Being over 30 with only one moving violation in my entire driving career really helps as does owning a home and being married.

Yes, my beemer has twice the displacement of my fizzer but the insurance rate is almost identical (I own my home but am not married; I'm also over 30 but you never damn mind how much :Flip: :BLAA: ;) ).

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
I have progressive insurance

I am 40+ years old.
I have Max coverage on liability ( I forget limits), comp, collision.
I have Clean driving record for 10+ years but relative inexperience riding the bike (4 seasons)

I think my MSF credit expired but still only costs ~$317 per year

And while I am thinking of it I am going to check into when the
remaining Advanced MSF courses are for this year to keep the discount active.

Anthony - any supersport bike spells trouble in the eyes of an insurance company. I know you don't need to be told about age, driving record, or any of that parental stuff.. but insurance companies thrive on this data to get the most premiums they can from you.

Last edited:

QwickFliCk

Manly Man Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for everyone's input! I've been shopping around n calling up brokers everywhere! The best numbers I got were in the high $2k for full coverage. I'm possibly going to just get the bike, not register it yet n trailer it home, then wait till next year n keep putting it on n takin it off insurance. :rolleyes:

chroline

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
Do a little payback for those thieving insurance companies. Buy said bike with full coverage. Total it and make them buy you a new bike. Demand refund for time you didn't use (essentially all of your premium will be refunded). Repeat.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Do a little payback for those thieving insurance companies. Buy said bike with full coverage. Total it and make them buy you a new bike. Demand refund for time you didn't use (essentially all of your premium will be refunded). Repeat.

LOL.. sucky as the situation is, that won't help. It'll just end up jacking up the rates for everyone. It's not thievery, it's science.. using statistics and probability, Ant is in the "most dangerous" group based on age and type of bike. Crash statistics are very similar every year. It makes it easy for insurance companies to figure out what they need to charge to make money.
Sucks for us, no doubt, but :don'tknow: