Warning about manual cam chain tensioners!

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
Started tear down on my top end and discovered some interesting things.
I had installed a manual cam chain tensioner and apparently I tightened it too much.

The cam chain had ZERO play in it, and then I discovered this:
IMG_20120503_201102.jpg

This is the chain guide on the tensioner side, completely split and the groove from the chain is not straight.

I also checked the valve clearance. All intake valves are within specification, but almost all exhaust valves are slightly above specification at .31mm, when manual calls for .23mm-.30mm.

I ordered a new cam chain, tensioner, both guides, and gaskets. I also have a new Barnett clutch waiting to install. But apparently I forgot to order tensioner gasket so I'll have to wait for that to show up.
I'm about to check the cams right now to see if they're warn.

Question for all of you: Does anybody know how to remove the pickup rotor on the crankshaft without removing the stator cover and holding the stator wheel? Will an impact wrench hurt anything?

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry for your loss - But once again a GOOD reason to chop open the OIL FILTER and look in between the pleats every now then. It will show what is happening inside.

In this case - you would have seen all that delron or what ever the material is in the filter and likely had some warning that things need adjusting.

Tight chains rob engines of power and wear the cr@p out of everything. I hope it all goes back together well.

You are putting in a new chain, Yes?

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry for your loss - But once again a GOOD reason to chop open the OIL FILTER and look in between the pleats every now then. It will show what is happening inside.

In this case - you would have seen all that delron or what ever the material is in the filter and likely had some warning that things need adjusting.

Tight chains rob engines of power and wear the cr@p out of everything. I hope it all goes back together well.

You are putting in a new chain, Yes?

Surprisingly the guide didn't really get shredded, it just split.

I've already replaced the chain, guides, tensioner, adjusted the valves and reinstalled the cams. Waiting on a gasket for the tensioner as I forgot to order one.

I just changed the oil 100 miles ago and had to drain it again, which sucks.