warm starting gremlin

wrlomas

Reaction score
Visit site
Greetings forum members. I have an 08 fz with 8k miles on it. I have 2 bros cans on it and all else is stock. I have had a strange problem with warm starts.That is to say after a cold start if I ride 5 miles and shut down it will have the problem. Occasionally when warm the starter spins but wont light the candles. I turn it off, wait a minute and try again, same deal. If I crack open the throttle a little and hold it it will eventually catch. I have tried wide open throttle but it doesnt help. It doesnt seem or smell flooded when this happens. I trailer my bike every where in my rig. Sometimes I am at sealevel but 2 days later I am at 9,000 feet. How long does it take the fuel injection system to compensate for density of the atmosphere? I thought it was bad fuel at first but ran thru that tank and filled it with ethanol free hi test. Ran fine for a few days then did it again on me yesterday. After warm up it runs great and has no problem with a hot start. Any one had this problem?

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
No, but I think it's probably related to your ECU. I'd try unplugging the battery for 30 minutes or so, and see if that helps the problem any. It's like it's not making the fuel rich enough for the engine temp.

Or lean it out, whatever. I know with CV carbs, choking it acutally opens up the CV valve making the pressure closer to atomospheric and thereby decreasing the vacuum sucking the fuel up. So more air, less fuel. But some people say it richens up the mixture... :don'tknow:

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Just so we're clear here; you say ..... and then it will catch. Do you mean the starter doesn't engage or are you saying it cranks (spinning the engine) but doesn't fire off?

And are you saying it always "cold starts fine"?
Is the idle set correctly? Roughly 1350 RPM warm.
Are all of the vacuum lines properly connected?

How is the drive-ability? Does it ever just die or stumble or misfire when cold or warm?
Did it do this before you put the cans on it and has the battery ever been disconnected since the cans were installed?

Can you consistently hear the fuel pump come on when the key is turned on and how long do you wait before hitting the start button after the key is on? FYI my 08, I wait for the dash lights to finish and the Tach to settle. When warm I suspect I have to hold the start button about a second or maybe a tad longer like 1.5s???

Answer a few of these and lets noodle over it abit.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
I'd wonder about the condition of your battery, to be honest. Sounds like the amperage available is not quite up to the task. Repeatedly starting the bike 6 or more times without some running time at 1500 RPM or higher will drain the battery pretty quickly. Leaving it sitting with the lights on will do the same.