wanting to install HID'S

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't believe you'll have a high beam with this kit and if you're installing these lamps in the stock FZ6 the reflectors may not give you what you're expecting as well as blinding people and getting a ticket. Get some good projector type of HID and convert your headlamp assembly. A friend of mine (FZ6 owner) bought a unit on Ebay and it had a bad transformer. We ended up getting new one locally.

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If you have a bd43 upgrade, and direct the lights down a bit (most HIDs aim up a bit, compared to halogen) that looks fine, if you only want to use a 35w kit.

(you need the bd43 upgrade wire to send the hi/low signal to the relay)

I use the 55w kits, 6000k colour temperature in everything, and swear by it. (more light volume, better contrast as 6000k is closer to daylight)

Just remember, you MUST orient for HIDs correctly, or they will be dangerous to other road users, and possibly attract the law.

Cheers,
Rick

EDIT: Headlight aiming

Last edited:

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
None that's going to have the low beam wire. (bd43 mod)

I suppose you could make it work off the H7 side, but without knowing the kit, I'd be guessing.

Cheers,
Rick

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the ddm tuning setup. First I used 35watt ballasts and they are plenty bright. Since then I went with 55 watt ballasts (really just because, why not. Lol).

As others have said you really have to be considerate how you aim the hid's as they DO scatter light. Not a deal breaker but you need to be aware of where the light is going. I like to park my bike behind my car and see how the headlights look aimed right at my rear view mirror sitting in the car. Also will pull the bike up to my car and see where the beam is aimed head on at the driver.

As Montigiro says the sealed HID projector is the best possible system you can get. no question that system works better. But there is a labor component of taking the fairing off, baking the headlight housing to get the lenses off, fitting the projector, install of ballasts, etc. and that system is a bit more expensive.

What the HID reflector bulb setup does give you is ease of installation and lower cost.

One final recommendation is if you are going with the HID reflector bulbs, get the HI/Low H4 kit. Adds a little cost and installation time but is worth it.

fb40dash5

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't think really "plug and play" is gonna happen. The problem with drop-in HID bulbs is that they don't produce light in the same pattern as halogen bulbs. Your reflectors are designed around the light pattern of an H4 or H7 halogen bulb, not an HID bulb with an H4 or H7 base slapped on it. So, light goes everywhere, without the proper cutoff you need. There used to be a guy with HID drop-ins in his pickup that lived up the road from me. I could tell when he was coming home after dark, because you could see his headlights... 30' or so up in the trees. :rolleyes:

There's a thread somewhere around here with H4 and H7-based projectors from ebay. You remove your headlights (the whole thing, not the bulb), pop it in the oven to loosen the glue, install the projectors and reassemble. I can't comment on their quality or longevity, but I can't imagine that $65 for 2 bulbs and a ballast is going to buy you anything special, either.

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
IMHO if you aim them correctly, and get some decent bulbs with the shroud on the end, the cut-off is as good as halogen, if you orient them correctly.

Sure, some spray a bit more, but a good quality light will have the same distance between the reflector and the filament (or arc in the case of HID) on high and low. That's why the good ones use a magnetic plunger, to replicate the different distance between the hi and low filaments on halogen.

Really, your reflector doesn't need to be HID specific or 'tuned' for HID - all it does is reflect (does have to be UV stable though) so as long as the arc is in the same place as the halogens' filament, the light cut-off, or projection will be the same.

This being said, as the light volume is so much more, I found it best to aim them down a bit, but once this is done, the only way oncoming traffic knows you have HID is the different light colour - not because it is dazzling.

I have installed literally hundreds of HID kits, and have never had someone complain they get flashed due to oncoming traffic thinking they are on high beam - but all of them have said how much easier it is to see, due to the extra light volume and lights colour temperature.

Cheers,
Rick

Last edited: