VS02 Known Issues

rutty99

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi All,

I am looking to do the VS02 mod very soon. Are there any "gotchas" that I need to look out for, or is the install pretty straight forward?

Thanks,

thisisbenji

Reaction score
Visit site
It's pretty straight forward. The only issue would be in the quality department. My upper fairing that sits on the headlight came cracked (one of the mount points), this causes a slight rattle while at riding. Also the stay that the headlight mounts onto was also bent and not aligned well. This caused me to have to use extra washers and what not. It's still not straight :( But it looks good from a distance!! That being said the electrical aspect of the kit is pretty good, it really is plug and play as far as the turn signals and headlight go. After installing the kit, I'd recommend it. Much better than trying to rig something up on your own.

Last edited:

dev_usc

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Ben.. I am sincerely sorry there was damage to the fairing during shipping. I have already requested warehouse to ship you replacement fairing... It was out out stock and they have promised it should go out in a day or two.. Again I am really sorry for the inconvenience... thx

ped

Reaction score
Visit site
The speedo mount broke the tabs off the my speedometer due to general vibrations. It needs to be reinforced using all four mounting points.

cory89123

Reaction score
Visit site
I just finished installing the VS02 on my bike. Here are a few things i did.

I modified and shortened the stock wiring harness because there was just too much wire there IMO.

The turn signals provided are of good quality but you have to change the connector in order to install them so (at least i did on my 08)

The mounting plate for the speedometer is not very substantial and looks susceptible to vibration. so i added a rubber washer to both lower points and routed the wiring harness so that the connector boot will absorb vibration up top and i reinforced it with a small amount of rubber sheeting.

havent gotten to test it on the road because my seat is still in the upholstery shop but i will update you later.

fit and finish are nice but I will be having my set painted soon to match the bike as the black with my dark blue bike looks OK but will look awesome when its the proper color.

dev_usc

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I truly appreciate the feedbacks. Over the past year I have made quite a few changes to the kit based on feedbacks of the form member to make it as close to plug'nplay and perfect...

I would be glad to add some more updates to the kit if y'all can give me some details on the changes you have made...

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
The speedo mount broke the tabs off the my speedometer due to general vibrations. It needs to be reinforced using all four mounting points.

I agree here - I had one of the screws break off - but I was able to put it all back together with a bit of wire so I didn't mind at all. Overall - very happy.

protelec66

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey, I just joined here because I just finished mine, and I did a full analysing, and modifs of the product before fitting.. It was obvious the product is not 100%, the kit is, but not the frame!! I will be posting photos and explaination soon.. No issues so far with the prior modifs!
picture.php

Last edited:

subaron

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey, I just joined here because I just finished mine, and I did a full analysing, and modifs of the product before fitting.. It was obvious the product is not 100%, the kit is, but not the frame!! I will be posting photos and explaination soon.. No issues so far with the prior modifs!
picture.php

Where did you get that radiator shroud? Looks nice

rutty99

Reaction score
Visit site
So I did the install over the weekend and all-in-all I would say it is fairly straight forward. Overall, it took me about 10 hours, including a few trips to the hardware store (I know I'm slow).

Some of the issues I encountered:

1. The headlight stay was slightly bent which makes the headlight slightly crooked on the bike. Lucky I was able to compensate by using some washers and now it looks pretty straight.

2. The bolts that connect the bottom of the side covers to the main light assembly were not long enough to reach the bolt on the other side. Had to go to the hardware store.

3. The kit comes with these strange tabbed bolts. Basically, it is a bolt that is welded to a metal tab with a hole through it. Anyway, one of the bolts was not welded over the hole correctly rendering it useless. Had to go to the hardware store.

4. Based on feedback I received from people on the forum, I inserted grommets into holes on the speedo mounting plate in order to help ease the vibrational stress. I also used some metal wire to secure the top two speedo mounts to the headlight-stay in order to help keep vibration down to a minimum.

Overall the fit and finish of the headlamp, fairings and turn signals was excellent. However, the quality of the headlight stay and some of the hardware was mediocre. As mentioned, the stay was slightly bent, and all of the welds and cuts were fairly sloppy.

For $325 I think it is worth it. It's not perfect, but it's a lot easier than trying to fabricate something on your own, plus it looks pretty good. Not to mention it is several hundred cheaper than the FZ1 kit.

Vishnu was very responsive and was a pleasure to work with in general. He seems very open to feedback and genuinely wants to make the product better.

thisisbenji

Reaction score
Visit site
So I did the install over the weekend and all-in-all I would say it is fairly straight forward. Overall, it took me about 10 hours, including a few trips to the hardware store (I know I'm slow).

1. The headlight stay was slightly bent which makes the headlight slightly crooked on the bike. Lucky I was able to compensate by using some washers and now it looks pretty straight.

2. The bolts that connect the bottom of the side covers to the main light assembly were not long enough to reach the bolt on the other side. Had to go to the hardware store.

3. The kit comes with these strange tabbed bolts. Basically, it is a bolt that is welded to a metal tab with a hole through it. Anyway, one of the bolts was not welded over the hole correctly rendering it useless. Had to go to the hardware store.

4. Based on feedback I received from people on the forum, I inserted grommets into holes on the speedo mounting plate in order to help ease the vibrational stress. I also used some metal wire to secure the top two speedo mounts to the headlight-stay in order to help keep vibration down to a minimum.

Overall the fit and finish of the headlamp, fairings and turn signals was excellent. However, the quality of the headlight stay and some of the hardware was mediocre. As mentioned, the stay was slightly bent, and all of the welds and cuts were fairly sloppy.

For $325 I think it is worth it. It's not perfect, but it's a lot easier than trying to fabricate something on your own, plus it looks pretty good. Not to mention it is several hundred cheaper than the FZ1 kit.

Vishnu was very responsive and was a pleasure to work with in general. He seems very open to feedback and genuinely wants to make the product better.

Number 1 was my biggest complaint, but everything else was exactly the issues I had.

protelec66

Reaction score
Visit site
Where did you get that radiator shroud? Looks nice
took me for ages to find a good looking one.. got it from ebay, a French guy which sells great product for many bikes, not cheap but you can get the matching color!! anyway they doing a special ATM :)
Ecopes DE Radiateur Ermax FZ6 FZ 6 N S2 2004 2010 Peint | eBay
The name of the seller is "destocnet"
What it look like when you recieve it:
picture.php

They fit like gloves ;)
I have some more goodies coming..belly plate and back seat cover..

Last edited:

protelec66

Reaction score
Visit site

Yeap, spot on pretty much ;) my bike is originally the N australian so could vary for some of you.. here some pics and explainations the way I done it, I had to do 2x small welding (I had already a cheapo sigwell) and it is a very solid setup.
Vishnu is a nice guy and I will be passing on an easy way to fix the AUS fitting..
Yamaha FZ6 Forums - International FZ6 Motorcycle Community Forum - protelec66's Album: VS02 fitted on AUS FZ6N - how to
If you have any questions, please ask, I will be happy to help ;)