VS01 Install Question

thisisbenji

Reaction score
Visit site
Okay, so I'v had my VS01 kit installed for going on a year now.

The thing is I'v never been able to quite line up the flyscreen and speedo with the headlight.

8xkkjt.jpg

16liws8.jpg

As you can see it just doesn't line up.

In the first pic you can see how out of line the flyscreen is, in the second pic you can see that the speedo isn't parallel with the triple.

I can't figure out how to make it line up and it's really fricken irritating. Any suggestions?

You can also see that the headlight isn't parallel with the forks, the problem here is on the left side the stay won't come any closer to the forks, and on the right side the stay won't come any farther away from the forks.

Last edited:
Dude, not lining up would drive my CRAZY :(

I install the VS02 last year, and yet it was not OEM quality it was pretty darn close and it definitely lined up.

can you tell if it's your headlight or flyscreen that's not centered?

I'll ask the obvious question, did you contact dev_usc about your bracket? I could be wrong but I feel 100% sure he would have replaced it..

Well.. I had mentioned that it was bent when I initially got it (to dev_usc), but I did not ask for a replacement.

I was thinking maybe I can heat it up and bend it?

The headlight isn't centered, but if it were to be centered it would be even farther off from the flyscreen.

So they're both not centered.

I had the vs2 which uses the same stay and try as I may, mine was never aligned either nor was the stay bent. If I were to make it as aligned with the fork as possible then the headlight would get tilted to one side as the stay would hit the ignition and push forward. In the end it was a compromise between tilted and unaligned. It was driving me nuts so I switched to a fz1 headlight with different stay and now it is perfect.

I don't know how yours is aligned mountain cycle but others were having the exact same issue. That stay wasn't meant for the fz6 and it shows. Any stay not made specifically for the fz6 will need modification for perfect fitment. Only the fz6n kit will fit perfectly to my knowledge.

In the pictures though, they looked particularly unaligned. You could probably do better by adjusting the stay. I used a long zip tie at the time to hold the stay in position to the fork as it had the tendency to slide with time but IMO it will never align perfectly.

Not to be off subject here, But where do you guys get these VS headlight kits?

Pretty much what I got, I'm just looking for suggestions to make it better.

I probably should have done more research before buying the kit, as I had originally thought it was OEM FZ6N parts. Turns out I was wrong.

Anyways now that I have it I'm just trying to clean up the look as much as possible.

Last edited:
Just send him an email and im sure he will message you I just bought mine about 3 months ago. They do ship from india or something though. Also the directions arent the best, they are more like schematics then directions. Once you figure it out they are truly plug and play. the provided signals are cheap, I went with the rizoma zero11 but they cost a little more than 100 bucks!

[email protected]

Ditto on contacting Vishnu. Mine had the same issue and others that i wasn't too happy with, but he was otherwise willing to replace anything needed (probably should have been the whole kit). I kept the stay and just tweaked it here and there with a vice until it pointed right. It appears to be a QC issue. The original shipment came pretty quick from India, but the replacement parts took several weeks. IT IS NOT OEM. maybe...MAYBE the fasteners are and that's it. I searched the European FZ6N parts...i stopped when the headlight lens alone was ~650$. There's another kit on Ebay from China and appears to replicate the FZ6N OEM kit. Perhaps someone here can chime in on its overall quality. I think at least the side pieces are moulded aluminium....the VS1/VS2 kits are plastic and your flashers wobble in the wind at speed. I also think the China kit allow headlight adjustments/alignment....not so for the VS kit...slightly up or down...but post install, mine is pointing about right (vertically) and is at its limit. Anyway...i should post up with pics...just haven't gotten around to it yet. Perhaps once it get some new bars.

Ditto on contacting Vishnu. Mine had the same issue and others that i wasn't too happy with, but he was otherwise willing to replace anything needed (probably should have been the whole kit). I kept the stay and just tweaked it here and there with a vice until it pointed right. It appears to be a QC issue. The original shipment came pretty quick from India, but the replacement parts took several weeks. IT IS NOT OEM. maybe...MAYBE the fasteners are and that's it. I searched the European FZ6N parts...i stopped when the headlight lens alone was ~650$. There's another kit on Ebay from China and appears to replicate the FZ6N OEM kit. Perhaps someone here can chime in on its overall quality. I think at least the side pieces are moulded aluminium....the VS1/VS2 kits are plastic and your flashers wobble in the wind at speed. I also think the China kit allow headlight adjustments/alignment....not so for the VS kit...slightly up or down...but post install, mine is pointing about right (vertically) and is at its limit. Anyway...i should post up with pics...just haven't gotten around to it yet. Perhaps once it get some new bars.

That's probably what I'm going to do for now, but maybe down the road I'll try to do something a bit more custom that'll be a lot cleaner.

That's probably what I'm going to do for now, but maybe down the road I'll try to do something a bit more custom that'll be a lot cleaner.

Also...this may be just a personal thing, but I didnt like the way the guts of the speedo were visible from the side. It made the kit look off and more of an add-on/afterthought to me. So I went with Lean69's speedo bracket (quality product btw), which meant I had to cut off the the part of the VS1 stay that supports the flyscreen. I didn't really like the makeshift speedo bracket that came with the VS kit. I picked up the rear speedo cover from Yamaha ($20 CDN) and am generally happy with the look for now. As mentioned above, I just want to find some bars that i'll prefer over the OEM. Tried the FZ1's, but I didn't like the position.

PS...to make minor adjustments left or right, I added an extra washer or two to the barrel spacers provided in the VS kit for the lower triple tree connection point.

Last edited:
Also...this may be just a personal thing, but I didnt like the way the guts of the speedo were visible from the side. It made the kit look off and more of an add-on/afterthought to me. So I went with Lean69's speedo bracket (quality product btw), which meant I had to cut off the the part of the VS1 stay that supports the flyscreen. I didn't really like the makeshift speedo bracket that came with the VS kit. I picked up the rear speedo cover from Yamaha ($20 CDN) and am generally happy with the look for now. As mentioned above, I just want to find some bars that i'll prefer over the OEM. Tried the FZ1's, but I didn't like the position.

PS...to make minor adjustments left or right, I added an extra washer or two to the barrel spacers provided in the VS kit for the lower triple tree connection point.

I have a speedo cover on order actually.

I thought about using Lean69's bracket but he told me that he's all out. :(
I might try to make something myself that's a bit cleaner than what came with the kit. I just want it to look a little bit less like a hack job.

I have a speedo cover on order actually.

I thought about using Lean69's bracket but he told me that he's all out. :(
I might try to make something myself that's a bit cleaner than what came with the kit. I just want it to look a little bit less like a hack job.

My thoughts exactly. I think using the OEM stay, you should be able to make a template at least for the holes for the speedo. Good luck.

For once in my life, did I just get lucky? :thumbup:

I might have adjusted my stay a little but I don't remember it being a major issues! however, I machined new side fairing spacers (item #13) because the both side fairings were rubbing the fork tubes making a squealing noise.

After all of this talk about bent stays, I went out and doubled checked mine.
It seems to be centered +/- 1/8" (3'ish mm)

btw - I have the round speedo.

The vs kit is for a Yamaha fz16 that's only available in India if I'm not mistaken.even if u r required to adjust, it is by far the cheapest and easiest kit out there to go naked. The parts in the vs are mostly OEM Yamaha but just not made for the fz6. The fz16 is a small bike so the parts matches that.

OEM fz6n headlights + all the required mirrors and flashers cost a little fortune. Fz6n kit from eBay are a good compromise. Quality is decent but you will still need to buys a few things to complete the conversion. Any other headlight such as the fz1n will require custom work and will still come out more expensive than the vs kit.

The vs kit is still the cheapest and easiest and u r golden if u can live with the few annoyances.

For once in my life, did I just get lucky? :thumbup:

I might have adjusted my stay a little but I don't remember it being a major issues! however, I machined new side fairing spacers (item #13) because the both side fairings were rubbing the fork tubes making a squealing noise.

After all of this talk about bent stays, I went out and doubled checked mine.
It seems to be centered +/- 1/8" (3'ish mm)

btw - I have the round speedo.

Looks straight but I remember I also managed to make it look straight too but then the headlight was pointing to the right. Can u take a pic from the top?

Well I stuck my stay in a vice and did some bending today, I looks much better. Although it's still not 100% straight.

126ec9j.jpg

r9on7b.jpg

The headlight is pointing slightly to the right now, but it's not so bad.

I mean I don't want to complain too much for the cost of the kit the only other alternative would be a 7" round setup.

Back